That Was Scary!

EAGLE33

Here is the deal....

I fixed my 96 just the other day...timing with all bells and whistles, brakes and replace engine ECM. I also put SeaFoam in my tank...so I'm on freeway driving around 80-90mph and Bam :wacko: power goes down to nothing, all needles down to zero, but the car still runs...after couple of seconds it goes back to normal...and then again the same thing - twice....it seems like maybe SeaFoam was pushing dirt out of my filter, but why would gages go down on my dash? In any case it scared a crap out of me :censored: After that I was out on vacation for a week and now drove couple of days and it seems fine. Anybody have any ideas what it was? I just hope its a SeaFoam effect and not a computer.

Here is the deal....

I fixed my 96 just the other day...timing with all bells and whistles, brakes and replace engine ECM. I also put SeaFoam in my tank...so I'm on freeway driving around 80-90mph and Bam :wacko: power goes down to nothing, all needles down to zero, but the car still runs...after couple of seconds it goes back to normal...and then again the same thing - twice....it seems like maybe SeaFoam was pushing dirt out of my filter, but why would gages go down on my dash? In any case it scared a crap out of me :censored: After that I was out on vacation for a week and now drove couple of days and it seems fine. Anybody have any ideas what it was? I just hope its a SeaFoam effect and not a computer.

Hey Eagle33 this sounds like a problem I had on my 92 SC4 about a couple of months ago. I did not use SeaFoam (yet) but I was driving down the highway at around 70-80 MPG when I looked at my gauge and both my RPM and Speedometer were 0 but after a few miles everything is fine and has ever since. I don't know what happened but so far so good it hasn't happened again...

It wasn't like only gages went dead, it seemed like the whole car....it jerked and slowed down, and the gas pedal didn't respond. It was almost like the car would stall, but it came back to normal in a matter of seconds...and then again like that. Those seconds were toooooo long I tell ya :censored:

if your car wasn't a pre-98' model, I would instantly say the TPS was going out. This happened to me on a test drive of a 98' GS300, scared me to death. But, since it is a pre 98, I'm wondering about your alternator. Not to over do it right out of the gate, how are your battery connectors? Might want to buy one of those little terminal scrubbers at auto-world and clean the connectors and see what that does. When your alternator starts to go, the symptoms are quite similar to what you had. Do you hear a whinning noise from your alternator? It's tough to tell sometimes if you have your a/c running too, as it whines also. But if your alternator is really hummin' along, like Paris Hilton singing Opera, then it might be time for the repair hit of bearings and new brushings. But check your battery terminals first. :cheers:

It just happenes again today :censored:

I wonder if my new ECM doing this. It just seems like if it would be alternator, would it go to battery power without interraption? I wouldn't worry about it if the car would do that driving 5mph, but it scares me when its doing it around 80mpg and I'm loosing power. Any ideas? :wacko:

I don't know if this is your problem but I had all the dash lights come on & was told by a mechanic that it was either a fuse or the alternator. It seems that when the alternator acts up all the dash lights go on as a warning & maybe the engine has an electrical problem like the one you described.

I don't know if this is your problem but I had all the dash lights come on & was told by a mechanic that it was either a fuse or the alternator. It seems that when the alternator acts up all the dash lights go on as a warning & maybe the engine has an electrical problem like the one you described.

My dash lights din't go on but the gages does go to nothing and the car is not responding. It looks like its shutting down almost when you turn your ignition key off. It is deffinetely electrical issue and did started when I changed my ECM. May be it is alternator, but it seems very unlikely to me somehow

When my alternator went out, my coolant, oil, battery, brake, and some other light came on and would not go out. I was told this was a typical symptom of a failing alternator... which it was. Also, if the alternator is dying a slow death it can cause weird things to happen with your radio and the car will have a harder time turning over. This doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully it helps to eliminate possibilities! Good luck....

I just droped the car at the dealer - let them figure it out :chairshot:

Besides may be they will find something else that I don't know....for $100 diagnostics and a loaner (IS250, little stiff after LS but not too bad at all). So will see what they say. Thats my first time at the lexus dealer by the way. I feel like a virgin :blushing:

I just droped the car at the dealer - let them figure it out :chairshot:

Besides may be they will find something else that I don't know....for $100 diagnostics and a loaner (IS250, little stiff after LS but not too bad at all). So will see what they say. Thats my first time at the lexus dealer by the way. I feel like a virgin :blushing:

You're lucky! I go to a Toyota dealer for service and the last time they kept my LS over night, I got to putt around in a Yaris!

This is an update.... :whistles:

Got my car back yesterday. Dealer didn't find anything wrong with it. According to them they did a complete check up and took a 50mile test ride, and there are no indications that anything is wrong. They suggested to change front lower ball joints ($520) and rear bushings ($560), everything else was good. Back to the issue....they said it could be a "bad gas" which brings me to conclusion that I was right the first time - it was a Seafoam that did it. For now I will take my chances riding it and see what happens. As far as Ball joints and rear bushings....I politely told them that it will wait this time...how much is it anyway as far labor concern?

since u said u changed ECM, check the wiring harness, plug it out and then back in, sounds like u might have a loose contact somewhere, this is why the gauges went offline while engine was still running.

It's been 2 weeks since and car rides great. No problems. So I can safely assume it was a Seafoam that did it, and it's not happening since I fuel up after that tank of fuel w/seafoam was gone. No more idling and jerking issues thanx to new ECM.

Thanx to all for advise. :cheers: