Stereo Display Burned Out On '00 300, How To Replace?

I have a 2000 GS 300, no major problems, but recently the bulbs/LEDs that back light the stereo LCD burned out. I am not familiar on how to disassemble the stereo in the GS, so I do not know what actually lights it, but I was hoping I could replace it myself. And I ideas on how to get the face plate off and what is behind there would be greatly appreciated. I read elsewhere that it is surface mount LEDs which back light LCD displays, but am not sure if this is true in my case. Thanks in advance.

REB,

I just replaced mine, 99 GS-300 yesterday, got the display from dcfish and replaced it myself in less than 25 minutes start to finish, instructions were included. I'm pretty mechanically inclined needed a phillips screwdriver, 10mm. socket. It's actually pretty easy all for $140. If you need help let me know, I can walk you through it. You just need to get the LCD display from dcfish (he's a really good guy) and I received the display in couple of days. Sent payment through paypal.

Regards,

Blaise

$140 for burned out 25 cent LED? I'm wondering if it is possible to disassemble the display unit to replace the burned out LED. Would another 25 minutes worth of labor allow someone to unsolder the bad LED and replace it? Is it a sealed unit or is the LED mounted to a circuit board that could be soldered (like your cell phone). Anyone want to post a picture of what the display unit internals look like? (not trying to take business away from dcfish, not everyone would be willing to take it to the next step, but $140 for a burned out LED is more than I'd want to spend. Don't have a burned out display yet but seems like a lot of 2001 are writing in).

If it were that easy I would do repairs rather than replacements. It is a LCD not a LED. ;) Owners used to replace the entire headunit when there LCD burnt out for a considerable amount of $ more.

Yes it's a LCD but isn't the part that is failing the backlight which is most likely a LED? Or are the segments actually disappearing? Like I said, hasn't happened to mine yet.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2000 GS 300, no major problems, but recently the bulbs/LEDs that back light the stereo LCD burned out. I am not familiar on how to disassemble the stereo in the GS, so I do not know what actually lights it, but I was hoping I could replace it myself. And I ideas on how to get the face plate off and what is behind there would be greatly appreciated. I read elsewhere that it is surface mount LEDs which back light LCD displays, but am not sure if this is true in my case. Thanks in advance.

REB,

I just replaced mine, 99 GS-300 yesterday, got the display from dcfish and replaced it myself in less than 25 minutes start to finish, instructions were included. I'm pretty mechanically inclined needed a phillips screwdriver, 10mm. socket. It's actually pretty easy all for $140. If you need help let me know, I can walk you through it. You just need to get the LCD display from dcfish (he's a really good guy) and I received the display in couple of days. Sent payment through paypal.

Regards,

Blaise

$140 for burned out 25 cent LED? I'm wondering if it is possible to disassemble the display unit to replace the burned out LED. Would another 25 minutes worth of labor allow someone to unsolder the bad LED and replace it? Is it a sealed unit or is the LED mounted to a circuit board that could be soldered (like your cell phone). Anyone want to post a picture of what the display unit internals look like? (not trying to take business away from dcfish, not everyone would be willing to take it to the next step, but $140 for a burned out LED is more than I'd want to spend. Don't have a burned out display yet but seems like a lot of 2001 are writing in).

If it were that easy I would do repairs rather than replacements. It is a LCD not a LED. ;) Owners used to replace the entire headunit when there LCD burnt out for a considerable amount of $ more.

Yes it's a LCD but isn't the part that is failing the backlight which is most likely a LED? Or are the segments actually disappearing? Like I said, hasn't happened to mine yet.

There are 3 led's soldered onto the PCB board behind the LCD panel. The LCD panel fails and the digits no longer display. So no matter how the LCD is lit up you can't read it. When yours fails you know where I am. ;)

REB,

Regards,

Blaise

There are 3 led's soldered onto the PCB board behind the LCD panel. The LCD panel fails and the digits no longer display. So no matter how the LCD is lit up you can't read it. When yours fails you know where I am. ;)

Great, something to look forward to ;)

Yeah, I hope it never happens. So far so good on my GS.:cheers:

dcfish? can u get me a nav ecu or computer (its called both) for the generation 2 OR the generation 3 gs? tempted to use the generation 4 but dont wanna lose my recently discovered over ride option

First the clock with part 4 air flow -comes out.

Second the ashtray.

Third you will see screwses at the back - tacke them out & everithing will come out. And then you can change the deck. Amp located in glowe department @ right side. ... :cheers:

Do you need the lcd display ? I may have them.

I have a 1999 GS300 and am in need of a replacement display as well, can I get a cost and instruction?

I have a 1999 GS300 and am in need of a replacement display as well, can I get a cost and instruction?

What is your email address ?

DCFish,

I am having similar problems with my 98 GS300, everything works fine except I can not read the radio display (at least not anything that would constitute legible data). I believe it is the stock radio with cassette and 6 cd changer.

Could you please send me an e-mail with the cost for replacement.

Thanks

seattleg at hotmail dot com

DCFish,

I am having similar problems with my 98 GS300, everything works fine except I can not read the radio display (at least not anything that would constitute legible data). I believe it is the stock radio with cassette and 6 cd changer.

Could you please send me an e-mail with the cost for replacement.

Thanks

seattleg at hotmail dot com

EM sent B)

dcfish; Howdy, I have several LED bulbs out also on my 98 GS300. the LCD screen is fine. Do you have the vol/tuner board only with the LED ligths only.

Email: david@smithteamrealty.com, Thanks

EM sent buddy :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

dcfish i have a 1999 gs400 with the lcd problen can you help me? I plan on replacing it myself but I need to know which pioneer radio it is (it is not the nakumichi)?

Yes, I have the gs premium radio LCD replacements. It comes with photo removal and install instructions. Leave your email for more info.

I have a 98 LS 400 with the radio light now out. All other panel lights work. Do you have a replacement for this one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dcfish, the radio display on my 99 GS300 is unreadable, eg. the backlit LED is on but the numbers are fuss. It's the stock radio with cassette and 6 cd changer in the glove compartment. Would you send me the info on the replacement LCD to lamachine AT gmail dot com? Thanks.

lamachine

Yeah, I hope it never happens. So far so good on my GS.:cheers:

dcfish,

I have a 99 LS400 with the LCD burned out on the radio (AM/FM with cassette...CD changer in the center console). Would you happen to have a replacement for this as well and what is the cost? Also, is the replacement on an LS400 as simple as I am understanding on the GS300?

Thanks,

Marshall

snyder12048@comcast.net

Hey dcfish, the radio display on my 99 GS300 is unreadable, eg. the backlit LED is on but the numbers are fuss. It's the stock radio with cassette and 6 cd changer in the glove compartment. Would you send me the info on the replacement LCD to lamachine AT gmail dot com? Thanks.

lamachine

EM Sent :cheers:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi dcfish. I'm after a replacement LCD for a 99 Lexus GS300. Please email me at pgrosser AT westnet dot com dot au. Thanks

EM sent cheers.gif

Hello dcfish, the lcd-display on my '99 Lexus GS300 is out. Can you email me at oppiezn AT gmail DOT com. Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...