Stereo Display Burned Out On '00 300, How To Replace?

I have a 2000 GS 300, no major problems, but recently the bulbs/LEDs that back light the stereo LCD burned out. I am not familiar on how to disassemble the stereo in the GS, so I do not know what actually lights it, but I was hoping I could replace it myself. And I ideas on how to get the face plate off and what is behind there would be greatly appreciated. I read elsewhere that it is surface mount LEDs which back light LCD displays, but am not sure if this is true in my case. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2000 GS 300, no major problems, but recently the bulbs/LEDs that back light the stereo LCD burned out. I am not familiar on how to disassemble the stereo in the GS, so I do not know what actually lights it, but I was hoping I could replace it myself. And I ideas on how to get the face plate off and what is behind there would be greatly appreciated. I read elsewhere that it is surface mount LEDs which back light LCD displays, but am not sure if this is true in my case. Thanks in advance.

Do you need the lcd display ? I may have them.

I was hoping for some information on how to disassemble it, i.e. where the screws are, what I have to take of first. If its not something I can replace myself I would not mind buying it, but I just wanted to take a look at it first to see if I could fix it first, I have some intermediate electronics skills. I've never had a reason to disassemble the car before so I really just need a starting point.

Just for some more information, I have the 2000 GS 300 Platinum Series, which I believe has a different radio than stock GS. Here are some pictures.

th_DSC04211.jpgth_DSC04212.jpg

When I went to Lexus they said they wanted $713, but the part from pioneer is only $122.50, so again, if anyone has done this before and has detailed install tips it would be greatly appreciated. I found some on the internet, but it was more or less just pictures and not actually telling you what to do.

• 1 month later...

dcfish i have a 1999 gs400 with the lcd problen can you help me? I plan on replacing it myself but I need to know which pioneer radio it is (it is not the nakumichi)?

dcfish i have a 1999 gs400 with the lcd problen can you help me? I plan on replacing it myself but I need to know which pioneer radio it is (it is not the nakumichi)?

Yes, I have the gs premium radio LCD replacements. It comes with photo removal and install instructions. Leave your email for more info.

Yes, I have the gs premium radio LCD replacements. It comes with photo removal and install instructions. Leave your email for more info.

My 1999 gs400 has the 6disc changer with the cassette player my email address is bnsprosseljr@sc.rr.com. I am new to the this and not good with computers and I try to send messages and emails and I get a message saying i can not do those operations. So please email me at the above address.

Thank you

My 1999 gs400 has the 6disc changer with the cassette player my email address is bnsprosseljr@sc.rr.com. I am new to the this and not good with computers and I try to send messages and emails and I get a message saying i can not do those operations. So please email me at the above address.

Thank you

spross2, Check your email :cheers:

Thank you

No email as of this morning I verfified the address and it is correct bnsprosseljr@sc.rr.com please try again also try rsprossel@scana.com.

Thank you

Thank you

No email as of this morning I verfified the address and it is correct bnsprosseljr@sc.rr.com please try again also try rsprossel@scana.com.

Thank you

1 more time, Check your email. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like we have the same problem. I just purchased a 1999 GS 300. I love the car.

The radio sounds great.

The only problem is the radio display is not readable.

Is there a fix other than replacing the radio.

Thanks,

ckirby1216@aol.com

Replacement is the only way. Do you want one ?

How much are they?

Thanks

Hello, I have a 1998 GS300 with the Pioneer radio - same problem burned out display, but also some of the buttons stick and the power knob came off. I've seen used units on ebay for about $299 - can this be fixed or am I better off just buying a whole new unit?

Thanks much!

scott802@yahoo.com

How much are they?

Thanks

Hello, I have a 1998 GS300 with the Pioneer radio - same problem burned out display, but also some of the buttons stick and the power knob came off. I've seen used units on ebay for about $299 - can this be fixed or am I better off just buying a whole new unit?

Thanks much!

scott802@yahoo.com

I'm looking into a replacement headunit for you, If you want LCD replacement I have them with photo install instructions.

How much are they?

Thanks

Thanks much!

scott802@yahoo.com

Scott, Check your email :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

DCFISH,I have a 1999 Gs 400 with the pioneer head unit and 6 disc changer.my LCD is unreadable,and beginning to go black. can a new display fix it. if so email me at JDTRIP@aol.com with info. Thank you

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem with my Lexus GS 300 radio light fading out especially when driving at night it was a nuisance , I found a Radio Service online Wireman1.com that fix the problem for less then the dealer price. The cost for my Lexus Radio was $125.00 which was good for me since I needed to get this done.

Good luck

How much are they?

Thanks

Thanks much!

scott802@yahoo.com

I have an ES300 1998 and I think that all the radios are about the same eccept the dash mount configureation. The displays are replaceable. I just replaced mine. I bought the display from RadioMan in San Diego and replaced it myself. You can also send him the radio and he will replace it. I am sure there are other repairmen or someone who can replace it for you. The display cost me $150. You can probably find it cheaper on E-Bay but because it was near me, I picked it up here.