Please Check Your Factory Alarms!

bbsal

ok me and skperformance have been discussing this for awhile now and we get different things out of it so heres your chance to see if your FACTORY alarm is that good!

first get in the car and roll down the drivers side window and no other window.

now close the door and arm your car

wait at least 2 minutes until the alarm is full armed.(you will see it blinking red on the dash)

now dont open any door just stick your hand into the car and turn the ignition on and start the car.if it starts POST it.you might also be able to then hit the unlock button and open the door and it will stay running!

reason for me asking this is because i was told awhile back about a flaw with the lexus factory alarms and was told that they can easily be stolen like the way i just said!

i tried this on 3 es 300s for 93 to 96 and they all started right up!

PLEASE POST RESULTS ON THIS THREAD!

this way if it is true its a good heads up for all of us!

I'll try it tonite; but I don't get your point.

You are surprised that someone, with your key, can steal your car without setting off the alarm? Even if your window was up (you don't really lock it up with the window down, do you?), they would hit the UNLOCK button on the key, jump in and drive off.

???

Tom

no your not getting the point.the point is they dont need the key!

all they have to do is break the window!jump in thru the window and pop the ignition and off they go.

im not worried because i have a aftermarket alarm but for all the people here with the factory alarm that could be a problem.

im going to my parents house tonight to see my car.... *Sniffle*

sush1a: i would so put the camry in the road with the windows down ;) aren't those the most commonly stolen cars or something?

i wouldn't want my lexus to get hurt ;)

and steviej, my parents would give me $4k from that car, cuz thats how much money i personally put into it, they're nice like that.

once the car gets running im gettin an after factory alarm, how much do they run usually? i could mayb get it for my birthday, IF the car is "safe" then.

and dear dear SK, if i ever have another vehicle it will be a Jeep with huge tires...and i'd sleep in that fella....with a shotgun, so i dont think anyone would break into that ;)

*Sigh*

dreams. :chairshot:

how did the alarm system for these cars end up being messed up anyhow?

by the way, i've been looking into the NC lemon laws....trying to figure out if i screw over that dealership like they did me (i need a devilish faced smiley damnit)

and ill find out as soon as i can about my alarm..i bet it works perfectly......

Interesting thread going here. On the 98 at least, the immobilizer should be good enough to prevent them from popping the ignition and riding off in the sunset. Don't know about pre98 though.

If they want the car enough, they will just flatbed it or tow it away. I have Lojack and it helps a little on insurance as well as can help recover the vehicle.

I will check my es later and see what happens, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Most likely they would open the door and not go through the trouble of climbing through the window. So if the alarm goes off if they open the door, will the car still start (if they pop the ignition - not relevant if you have the immobilizer).

OK, my 97 Started RIGHT UP!!!! WHAT THE HECK?!!?!?!?!? Should I take it to lexus and have them fix anything, if possible? That is REALLY quite scary.... BUT, i wonder if there is a mechanism in the ignition that knows weather or not it is a lexus key, or somebody breaking into it to hotwire or start it with a Screwdriver??????? WHAT SHALL WE DO!?!?!?!?!?

~Brian~ :huh: :o :angry:

im not sure about 97 and up but i know for sure all 3 es 300s i tried started right up and stud running with no problem.on the 92-96 i know there was no imobliizer on the key but not sure about 97 up.fact is they dont even have to hot wire it!they could just use a dent puller or a flat head screw driver and pop the ignition!

thats why i started this thread!to give a heads up on the factory alarms and recommend getting a good aftermarket alarm.(espically for those who have rims and such)

es 300s is a popular car to steal and tons of them get stolen all the time!

dont just put a club on it because as yous already know it is easy to get around the club!

just trying to help!

yah 97 and up have no problem as it has to have the key no dent puller will start it

you where right bbsal

i tried again tonight and my one cousins started fine

but i am guessing it needs to have the ignition key turned and not hot wiring it

as my aftermarket alarm

stops the key from turning over the engine

but if i arm the car the remote starter won't be able to start it either

just sets the alarm off

after 1 rpm

i guess it is a saftey feature in case you are still in the car with the door locked

as the manual says it has a starter kill

imobilizer? do please explain more!

There is an electronic chip in the key that is matched to the cars igniytion system. If the electronic signal is not there, the car will not start. So if someone broke into the car with such a system, and popped the ignition switch, the car will not start.

Hrm... That little Wallet key started my car right up also. It seems too light and small to have such a chip in it. Also, my key and remote locker are separate, unlike those newer unlockers that are built into the actual key. do you think that my model 97' doesn't have an imobilizer? i also don't have that cool traction control and my model 97 was made in 96' if that matters.

Brian~

For my 98, I used the wallet key cause I couldn't find the regular ones. Opened the door but could not start the car. So I knowthat my immobiler works as well as the wallet key does not have the chip in it. So it sounds that your model did not have the immobilizer. What does your manual say?

well at least we now know for anyone with 92 to 96 es 300s to get a aftermarket alarm if your car looks attractive!

i just wanted to give a heads up.hopefully some of you will get a good alarm if your cars decked out with rims and such because nobody wants there car stolen when it could of been prevented.

i have a wallet key, but in order to start the car i need to insert the key into the ignition, then as i'm turning the key in the ignition, i need to place the card that holds the wallet key next to the key because the chip is inside the card... do i make any sense? :P