90k Maintenance

I own a 97 SC400 and it is approaching 90,000 miles. The manual says that at 90,000 miles that the timing belt and water pump should be replaced. I know that Lexus is very conservative and can go for at least another 10K without doing this maintenance.

I would like to know worst case scenario if I don't change the timing belt. Would the engine be harmed if the timing belt would slip? Or would this just cause it to run crummy?

It is most likely best to go ahead and do the maintenance. But, could I put it off for awhile without facing damage to the engine?

I don't do my own work on the engine for this type of stuff and have been quoted some heavy numbers for this maintenance.

What really needs to be done for safety and long term benefit of the car? Quotes as high as $2,000.00 for this maintenance have been quoted. Is there a way to bring this down some? Or do I just get it done and be happy it is running great....

Thanks guys.

Flashjet