Just Out Of Warranty - Another Headlamp Failure

OKEH1

Might have guessed, my 2004 RX330 has just done 53500, just out of warranty and my passenger side headlamp is misting up, obviously letting in water.

I had the drivers side replaced last year after that one did the same.

I just cannot believe that these failures are anything but poor manufacturing as I have other cars older and more miles and no failures, in fact theis RX is the only ones I have ever had problems with.

I was wondering if this is a common occurence on any other RX330 of similar age.

I may contatc Lexus and see if they will replace out of goodwill, I have always had my car serviced from new at the Lexus dealership so have a good releationship with them.

Anybody out there with any opinions as to how to tackle Lexus?.

As you have said you have a relationship with LExus, I suggest approaching them politely, but firmlly that you would like them to take care of the headlight, since you have given them your business and there appears to be a problem with them failing. Remind them that the other headlight was replaced for the same failure.

I haven't experienced that problem on our 2004.

But, I sure am sick of having warped rotors every 26K (so far, 26K, 52K, 75K). I normally use Toyota OEM parts for everything, but next time I think I will try a different pad/rotor.

Might have guessed, my 2004 RX330 has just done 53500, just out of warranty and my passenger side headlamp is misting up, obviously letting in water.

I just cannot believe that these failures are anything but poor manufacturing as I have other cars older and more miles and no failures, in fact theis RX is the only ones I have ever had problems with.

I was wondering if this is a common occurence on any other RX330 of similar age.

I may contatc Lexus and see if they will replace out of goodwill, I have always had my car serviced from new at the Lexus dealership so have a good releationship with them.

Lexus quality is deteriorating and dealers seems to be getting greedier all over. You will be best served to look for a reputable Toyota INDEPENDENT mechanic and keep your car serviced there. Most problems are minor initially and can be fixed with little $ if you find the right mechanic.

Headlamps can be fixed if you detect the water vapors early (before the lens get opaque). You can seal the small holes with clear or black silicone caulk (window sealant from Home Depot or Lowe's). You can subscribe to ALLDATA for about $40 a year and get a lot of info. for maintaining and servicing your car... That is what I do and have saved at least $3,000 on my RX 2002 in the last 5 months compared to dealer's charges...

Best of LUCK...

Norman Allen

Austin, TX

Lexus quality is deteriorating and dealers seems to be getting greedier all over. You will be best served to look for a reputable Toyota INDEPENDENT mechanic and keep your car serviced there. Most problems are minor initially and can be fixed with little $ if you find the right mechanic.

Headlamps can be fixed if you detect the water vapors early (before the lens get opaque). You can seal the small holes with clear or black silicone caulk (window sealant from Home Depot or Lowe's). You can subscribe to ALLDATA.com for about $40 a year and get a lot of info. for maintaining and servicing your car... That is what I do and have saved at least $3,000 on my RX 2002 in the last 5 months compared to dealer's charges...

Best of LUCK...

Norman Allen

Austin, TX

newton cd,

There is a Lexus Technical Service Bulletin covering the 2004 RX330 warping rotors issue. Supposedly it involves better engineered-and-constructed rotors and possibly other brake components replacing the original components. Did you take advantage of this TSB at your Lexus dealership while your vehicle was still under warranty? If you did, it appears that this TSB made little-to-no difference in your particular case.

I'm planning on requiring our Lexus dealership to perform this TSB on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD vehicle before the warranty runs its course at 50,000 miles. I don't characterize her rotors as truly "warped" yet, but I don't like the quick groaning sound they sometimes make during the final stages of low-speed braking. This occurs only sporadically, but it certainly merits my attention before warranty expiration.

I'm going to do my first oil & filter change, Type T-IV ATF drain-and-fill, and tire rotation on her RX330 this coming weekend. While I have the tires off I'll take a good look at the brake components as well.

My 2005 did it just once a year ago, on the right side, after a carwash. It's odd, because it's never done it since, even after going to that same carwash place (and the typical South Florida monsoons don't trigger it either).

• 4 years later...

Just took my 2004 RX330 (2WD) with 50,500 miles to Lexus dealer (Lexus of Jacksonville) with a punch list of items that included moisture accumulation in headlamps and fog lamps. The only item with moisture in there when they saw the car was the passenger fog lamp and they quoted me a price for replacing.

When I went out with service writer to have her show me what they did do (recalls for cup in master cylinder and item on center console near accelerator pedal) both headlights had moisture (light condensation covered almost entire inside of lens). Her position is that Lexus won't even replace that under warranty - the design is "vented" and Lexus says the moisture isn't a problem if it burns off within 30 mins of having the headlights on.

Other items on my list included the moonroof grinding/groaning ($2,300)(DENIED), airflow actuator near driver's right foot making clicking noise ($150)(DENIED), plastic "chrome" peeling off front passenger door ($850)(DENIED), acceleration sensation when accelerator released in preparation for braking to stop the vehicle (service writer wrote up problem description wrong - something about shifting problem when car was decelerating and then driver accelerated) (some ECM / PROM update for $200)(DENIED), whining/humming noise from transmission noticed during acceleration (NORMAL - cable vibration according to service writer), and a few other cats/dogs.

The service writer asked if I used the moonroof alot. What constitutes "alot"? Is there a warning in the manual about use of the moonroof?

Searching this board afterwards, unfortunately, revealed TSB for the moonroof grinding/groaning with warranty of 48 mons or 50,000 miles which excludes my vehicle.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST, AND ONLY, LEXUS. It's a beautiful car but LEXUS quality is atrocious and their lack of concern for their products after the sale/warranty is absurd, particularly with LEXUS. Those commercials about Lexus quality make me nauseous. Oh, apparently it makes a difference if you bought the car from a Lexus dealer (I didn't) and had the car at the particular dealer (Lexus of Jacksonsville) before - these were both questions asked by the service writer which confounded me as to the cause/affect of the problems the car has.

Just took my 2004 RX330 (2WD) with 50,500 miles to Lexus dealer (Lexus of Jacksonville) with a punch list of items that included moisture accumulation in headlamps and fog lamps. The only item with moisture in there when they saw the car was the passenger fog lamp and they quoted me a price for replacing.

When I went out with service writer to have her show me what they did do (recalls for cup in master cylinder and item on center console near accelerator pedal) both headlights had moisture (light condensation covered almost entire inside of lens). Her position is that Lexus won't even replace that under warranty - the design is "vented" and Lexus says the moisture isn't a problem if it burns off within 30 mins of having the headlights on.

Other items on my list included the moonroof grinding/groaning ($2,300)(DENIED), airflow actuator near driver's right foot making clicking noise ($150)(DENIED), plastic "chrome" peeling off front passenger door ($850)(DENIED), acceleration sensation when accelerator released in preparation for braking to stop the vehicle (service writer wrote up problem description wrong - something about shifting problem when car was decelerating and then driver accelerated) (some ECM / PROM update for $200)(DENIED), whining/humming noise from transmission noticed during acceleration (NORMAL - cable vibration according to service writer), and a few other cats/dogs.

The service writer asked if I used the moonroof alot. What constitutes "alot"? Is there a warning in the manual about use of the moonroof?

Searching this board afterwards, unfortunately, revealed TSB for the moonroof grinding/groaning with warranty of 48 mons or 50,000 miles which excludes my vehicle.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST, AND ONLY, LEXUS. It's a beautiful car but LEXUS quality is atrocious and their lack of concern for their products after the sale/warranty is absurd, particularly with LEXUS. Those commercials about Lexus quality make me nauseous. Oh, apparently it makes a difference if you bought the car from a Lexus dealer (I didn't) and had the car at the particular dealer (Lexus of Jacksonsville) before - these were both questions asked by the service writer which confounded me as to the cause/affect of the problems the car has.

Please note there are good and bad dealerships. I would go in and say hey, I service my vehicle here and I expect a goodwill service of these items. They are just not fullfilling the warranty work...Be polite but firm..Then contact Lexus of AMerica...Good luck

The headlight moisture issue is actually covered under warranty if you're within the warranty period- your dealer is wrong. The headlights are vented (like all Lexus headlights) but the location of the vents and filtering device proved inadequate for the 04-06 RX headlights. They were redesigned for the 2007 model year. They are direct replacements to each other, so if your RX was under warranty Lexus would simply replace your headlights with the ones for the 07+ model.

I suggest you look on ebay for a used set of RX350/400h headlights from an 07-09 model. You should be able to get a set for less than $400 if yours are HID and even cheaper if they're halogen.