Burnouts Or Drifting

HUSTLER

Is it possible to do a burnout or if its possible to drift on an auto manual is 300. it may sound like a dum question. no flame plzz.

The manual IS has a cluth dampening device that is supposed to prevent clutch drops at high rpm's. I've never tried popping my clutch at high rpm's so I don't know what happens. But you won't get a drag-race type burnout with the manual unless you by-pass the CDD.

A friend of mine has an auto and he can do a burnout - it looks weird though. He started doing a burn-out but it was going real slow - because his car hadn't been warmed-up yet. The tires were rotating slowly, and they were leaving rubber on the ground. As the car warmed up the tires started spinning faster and faster until he released the brakes. It wasn't that spectacular, but he proved to me that it could be done.

As for drifting, I'm not sure. I haven't been to the track yet. :geek:

alright guys....i think i got the answer to my question...by turning the traction "OFF" yes...you can drift on the automanual is300...and it is just awsome...i was surprised....when i took my car on waivy road.....and the cars response was more then i expected. i luv the handling on my car.

one thing i do wanna ask though....Over 72 ppl looked at this post and only FOUR ppl 2 0r 3 ppl posted a replyy,....!!!!!!!! :angry:

I have done a burnout in my IS. Its not cool because I cannot see it. Also I do not trust anyone else to do it in front of me. If the car is going to get dogged, I am the one thats going to do it, you know what I mean. The car is plenty powerful so I guess with the right finesse, and the trac off, it is possible. Stay cool man. :cheers:

one thing i do wanna ask though....Over 72 ppl looked at this post and only FOUR ppl 2 0r 3 ppl posted a replyy,....!!!!!!!! :angry:

dont assume everyone drifts their cars... alot of people are proud of their cars and simply have never tried.

I would recommend someone drift their ride.. or even turn off the traction control.. coz its just irrisponsible.

I dont have Traction control in my manual soarer... so when the turbos cut in i can easily drift... but i only do it when the roads are clear and usually very early hours of the morning.

its just irrisponsible.  i only do it when the roads are clear and usually very early hours of the morning.

this should answer your question and btw, i m proud of my car AND YES, i STILL like the ability to drift when "needed".IMO :cheers:

take it easy.

• 2 months later...

I've had my 2001 for about 2 1/2 years now, and I've found that the traction control prevent wheel spin and drift somewhat in dry weather, allowing some pretty aggressive driving, but God help me if there's even a little water or snow on the pavement. Then the car becomes very unpredictable.

I've got the stock 16 inch wheels with all season radials, but I've been worried that maybe there's something wrong with the rubber compound to allow the car to lose so much traction, that the ABS has to kick in as I'm pulling up to a parking space! Has anyone else found unpredictable traction to be so much a problem that they are honestly afraid of the car in bad weather?

(this post was really prompted by an incident about 2 weeks ago. I was driving down a winding two-lane that I take every day at no more than 30 m.p.h. in a drizzle, and the entire car started sliding sideways without any complaint from the traction control system. I was able to recover, having spent five years driving a 1989 V8 Firebird without even ABS, but the break free from traction with the road wasn' gradual at all. no warning.)

its just irrisponsible.  i only do it when the roads are clear and usually very early hours of the morning.

this should answer your question and btw, i m proud of my car AND YES, i STILL like the ability to drift when "needed".IMO :cheers:

take it easy.

If you've been to the track then you should already know. Put some Hotchkis sway bars on and set the rear stiffer than the front. That should give you an oversteer condition. Also pump your tires up to about 45 PSI.

As far as burnouts, that's hardly ever a necessity, but you can do that by turning off the TRAC, hold the brake with your left foot and crank up to about 3000 to 3500 RPM and let the brake off. That will do it, if you have an Eshift.

• 1 month later...

I agree with that last statement 100%

With a few mods and the right tweaks, your IS will be capable of drifting like a madman. The car has the power to do it. Doing it well is a totally different story.

I'm pretty sure a toyota '85 trueno (corolla AE86) won the last japanese drift cup competition? that car was pushing only 185 horses to the wheels. he took out 350z's is300's skylines, and rx7's.

I think it was last month's Superstreet magazine that had the article.

• 4 months later...

hey you cna drift, do a donut and a burnout through proper technique. the traction control has to be off being that it regulateds wheel spin. also when street racing traction control has to be it helps greatly. :cheers:

• 15 years later...

I own a 2004 Lexus IS300 and I can swing that mf hella good you just need to practice at first I was wiping out every time I tried or the back wouldn’t kick out and it look like I was just going in circles why my tires burned rubber but I learned and I figured out how my car works I only have a catback exhaust and some coilovers but I can only go wide when I swing and if you can get it to swing you just have to learn how to counter steer and your chillen and yes it’s auto and no it doesn’t have an LSD you just need to calm down and counter steer correctly once the back kicks out just practice