Starting System Dead

tedtice

I went to start my 1992 ES300 and it was dead - nothing. I was able to jump start it after about 15 minutes. Brought it back home and parked it to check battery. Autozone said battery was fine. Took starter to Autozone and they said it was fine also. put them back on and began looking into circuit. I have new terminals on the battery so corrosion should not be the problem.

Here's the symptoms:

Hook up charger to battery to jump start and everything comes on with key in acc position. I turn to crank and the first time it acted like the starter wanted to move, but very little.

I try it again and from this point on nothing moves with the starter at all. All I hear is the starter relay fluttering under the dash. Then everything dies. No power to anything at all, like a protection circuit flipped. No power anywhere. If I wait about 5 minutes it must reset and I can get power in acc position again. I took out the starter relay and put 12v and it seems to work fine.

What could be blocking power to the starter and making the relay flutter that way?

I took the starter to both Autozone and Advance auto parts and both tested ok. I took off the ground from battery to body and it was clean. I don't see any fusible link in the starter wiring yet. Do you know where it would be? How else could I check the starter wire. It is bundled with the harness and tracing it might be difficult.

Thanks for your help!

I haven't looked at the alternator. I'll check that next as well. When this happened to you did the starter relay flutter and the entire electrical system die temporarily? I don't get any movement from the starter at all, I would think it would at least sound like the engine was in a bind or something.

I checked all fuses and they all looked good, but it would be a good idea to take each one out and verify that they are clean and connected well. I have a long list of things to look into this evening. I appreciate all input so far!