Hyundai Veracruz

Rx330driver

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do it think this can be comparable to the RX and would you buy one

• Yes, it is comparable to the RX and I would buy one
    • Yes, it is comparable to the RX but I would not buy one
    • No it is not comparable to the RX, but i still might buy one
    • No it is not comparable to the RX, and I wouldnt be seen with it

I know that we've had Hyundai threads before about them turning into a luxury segment...but...

does anybody think its ridiculous of Hyundai to compare the Veracruz (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=120318?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3.*#7) to the lexus RX350? the article states that, im just going to call it the "big H" cause its so hard to type out, the big H bought a few RX350s so that test drivers could compare it to the car...i think they are in over their heads.

dont get me started on the exterior, for reasons that anybody can see, but the interior is still not up to par with luxury vehicles in this segment. Its flat out ugly, and to compare it to the RX is simply downgrading all luxury SUVs in this segment. lol :chairshot:

they simply have copied the acura interface, the honda tach needles, and somehow still are implementing them in the wrong way.

now this is strickly IMHO so if you disagree with me, then vote...this could get interesting.

• 3 months later...

The Hyundai Veracruz is a very nice vehicle FOR THE PRICE. It certainly does not compare to the Lexus. Lexus offers luxury. Veracruz offers a good value. I also own a Hyundai Sonata and have found it to be an excellent car. Very reliable, trouble free and good on fuel. The recent commercial comparing the RX and the Veracruz is cute advertising. The bottom line is, for those who can't afford the Lexus, buy the Veracruz, it's the next best thing. As for myself, I enjoy my RX and would not buy anything of lesser quality.

When I first joined LOC, I specifically asked for comparisons between the RX, the Edge & Veracruz. I drove the Veracruz & while I really liked the interior (snazzy blue trim lighting, smooth dash lines) more so than the RX, there were a few reasons why I didn't get one. The first was that the side mirrors are huge - I couldn't see around them when turning. The second was that it was bigger than what I wanted - no use for a third row. The third reason was that I could not afford the options packages that I wanted. Sure, I got a 3 year old RX, compared to a new Veracruz, but there are a heck of allot more features on the RX. Jasper made a really good point that Lexus offers luxury & Hyundai offers value. Just my 2 cents...

Guys, you all make good points, Lexus being luxury, Hyundai being value. The majority of car companies have to start somewhere. Actually, most of our coveted Japanese marks ie Toyota, Honda and Nissan, started off being companies that made cars that were small, inexpensive and miserly on fuel. At that time being a great value in their respective markets. Now, they all have created well respected luxury brands for the industry, and even been the inventors of some features today. So, will Hyundai eventually pass that route? I think it's only a matter of time. Usually, how these companies got their foot in the door of the market, was offering more for less money. Now, do I think the Hyundai compares to the Lexus? I would never compare the two, as of right now, that would be apples to oranges. ;)

okay, here's my point of view also. I think that Hyundia has a different hurdle to over come. When Toyota and Honda, and even Nissan for that matter decided they were missing out on a portion of the market,( Luxury), they decided to do it under the brief guise of a different name. It was just to hard to say Toyota over Mercedes Benz when asked to part with 40+ grand. Hence Lexus, Acura, and Infinity. This approach wasn't new by any means, but it offered them a way to either distance themselves from a flop, or marry themselves to a success. Remember when Lexus was known as "poser" luxo with no hp. Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, constantly out classed the new-be's. But they kept going and have "learned" this area of the market. And now produce some of the finest vehicles on the market. And it's not just about quality. For me, it was also the "combination of features that makes up the company philosophies. I think any auto manufacturer can make a very good $40-50,000.00 car.Even Chevrolet has the Corvette, Ford has the GT, which is a 150,000 car, and Dodge has a Viper. I mean come on, there are no "trade secrets" any more. The formula is out there for all to see. What I think car manufacturers have a hard time with is appealing to the 40-50,000.00 car buyer. So Hyundia chose to be the budget car for some 12 years now. Never mind how good the car is, if I have 40 grand to spend on a car, Hyundai just does not place well on that list. Even though they priced the Veracruz about 10 grand under the Lexus, with lease options, financing options, and incentives,it's not that much less on the grand scale of things, not to mention reputation and the affluence of being able to reply to the question of what do you drive, " A Lexus." or "A BMW." etc. etc., which names have become known as status, quality, and acheivment. Let's face it, when we think of owning a "dream ride", I just don't know anyone who says " A Hyundai,,," So, they have to learn that we don't buy just the car, we buy the name.

I think it's funny how the magazines are "paid to help" with complimentary articles and reviews also. I know when I read the review what kept running though my head was " Yeah, but it's a Hyundai."---" Hey Chuck, come over and check out my new Hyundai!, it just beat the Lexus RX in a heads up test in Motor Trend Magazine! " As Chuck gets out of his ML 430, I'm sure he's brimming with excitement. LOL!!!

Was this a bit too honest? :huh:

Hyundai has improved its engineering, products, and image by leaps and bounds over the past couple of years. Give them time and they'll get there. As for attempting to compare its new Veracruz to the RX series, I believe that's a damned smart marketing move that will win quite a few customers for them. And knowing how O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D the RX series is (since we've unfortunately owned two of 'em in our household thanks to my wife), I don't blame Hyundai one iota for taking that approach....

This is not the first time that RX330driver has accused Hyundai of unfair product comparisons lately. Do I sense a bit of up-and-coming envy there, ol' buddy?!

Hyundai has improved its engineering, products, and image by leaps and bounds over the past couple of years. Give them time and they'll get there. As for attempting to compare its new Veracruz to the RX series, I believe that's a damned smart marketing move that will win quite a few customers for them. And knowing how O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D the RX series is (since we've unfortunately owned two of 'em in our household thanks to my wife), I don't blame Hyundai one iota for taking that approach....

This is not the first time that RX330driver has accused Hyundai of unfair product comparisons lately. Do I sense a bit of up-and-coming envy there, ol' buddy?!

I believe that's a damned smart marketing move that will win quite a few customers for them.

Smart marketing?? You mean if they were to compare it to the worst in in it's class, that would be dumb marketing? " Oh yeah, last year that was them."

I don't think it's about unfair comparisons. I think it would be cool to see a better selection of diversity in comparisons. Why do they only stack SUV's against SUV's? Why not compare the Hyundia Sonata to the Mercedes Benz AMG 500? Think of the case Hyundia could make in buying thier car over the AMG! Or why not put a Honda Accord up against a Porsche 911 Turbo Targa? The Accord would probably win based on the formulas alone! ( More leg room, less cramped passenger room, and the trunk is 10x's bigger !!.
And knowing how O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D the RX series is (since we've unfortunately owned two of 'em in our household thanks to my wife),

Overrated? So, tell me, what would you put above it "in this class"? Or rank higher?

By the way, I'm sort of playing devils advocate here. I really don't like any comparisons that rate vehicles one over the other. Because then it's their opinion, passed off as facts, just because Motor Trend says that Tonka makes a better toy than Playskool, does that make it so? Should Playskool just go out of business then?

LOL the date i started this was in April. That was about the same time that i was accusing hyundai of unfair product comparisons. lol.

Im not so much envy-ing hyundai drivers, but i think its an insult to those who have shelled out 50K for a car that is being compared to one that can be bout for the high thirties.

personally, i dont think any lexus buyers will be turning to hyundai after seeing those commercials. It might bring to their attention that there are other choices out there but once youve had a taste for what luxury can be, theres no turning back.

The long-time owner of our local Lexus dealership (Johnson Lexus in Raleigh) recently opened a local Hyundai dealership (Johnson Hyundai).

Get ready, RX330driver. Cross-pollination between Lexus and Hyundai will begin at any moment (here on the East Coast, anyway)....

I love their new marketing campaigns, I think they're incredibly smart.

The big "DUH" campaign? Yeah, that's gonna draw me right in.

They needed a marketing campaign that would appeal to the masses in the Middle America, especially to those in the 30 something crowd. We we're the generation that invented DUH - maybe a bit of nostalgia would draw in a few prospective customers. I guess for your needs, you need something a bit more stimulating?

Hit me with your best ad. slogan:

They needed a marketing campaign that would appeal to the masses in the Middle America, especially to those in the 30 something crowd. We we're the generation that invented DUH - maybe a bit of nostalgia would draw in a few prospective customers. I guess for your needs, you need something a bit more stimulating?

Hit me with your best ad. slogan:

You mean my own or an exsisting real one?

Fairly new to the site. Recently purchased a new GS350 and we love it. Previous Acura owner.

I read an article last year in one of the business rags. They stated that the one auto company that Toyota had concerns about was Hyundai. They stated that Hyundai had modeled itself after Toyota. How long has it taken Toyota to reach this pinnacle since hitting the US market? I definitely see more "H" cars on the road now vs. 5 years ago.

Would I buy one now vs. the GS? No. But would I have bought a Cresida 30 years ago vs. a Caddy? Doubtful.

I think Hyundai has really stepped it up the last few years. Plus, their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty is very attractive to people wanting value. I don't think they can turn the Hyundai name into a luxury line. I think they would have to start a completely different brand ala Lexus, Acura, Infinity.

Glad to own a GS now and to have found the club.

Fairly new to the site. Recently purchased a new GS350 and we love it. Previous Acura owner.

I read an article last year in one of the business rags. They stated that the one auto company that Toyota had concerns about was Hyundai. They stated that Hyundai had modeled itself after Toyota. How long has it taken Toyota to reach this pinnacle since hitting the US market? I definitely see more "H" cars on the road now vs. 5 years ago.

Would I buy one now vs. the GS? No. But would I have bought a Cresida 30 years ago vs. a Caddy? Doubtful.

I think Hyundai has really stepped it up the last few years. Plus, their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty is very attractive to people wanting value. I don't think they can turn the Hyundai name into a luxury line. I think they would have to start a completely different brand ala Lexus, Acura, Infinity.

Glad to own a GS now and to have found the club.

Welcome to the LOC.

I think Hyundai has really stepped it up the last few years. Plus, their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty is very attractive to people wanting value.

I'm not taking anything away from Hyundai and their acheivements. But let's not forget that Toyota has had the Camery and Corrolla 2 car's with a solid reputation for 20 years. Nissan has the Maxima and Sentra, and Honda has the Civic and Accord. While every other car manufacturer has volleyed their line up. What car in the Hyundai line up can you point at and say for my 30+ grand, I am buying confidence if quality and reliability?

I think they would have to start a completely different brand ala Lexus, Acura, Infinity.

That is exactly what I stated in my earlier post here.

Plus, their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty is very attractive to people wanting value.

First off, glad you're here, goheels!

Now, the problem with the 10yr/100k mile warranty is that everybody's got one now. Every car GM makes now has that warranty, and Dodge just introduced a Lifetime Drivetrain warranty. Hyundai got major business when they introduced the killer warranty, and the other companies definately noticed. Now Hyundai has had to step up their craftsmanship in order to stay somewhat competitive, and they've got a ways to go before they're up there with Toyota (the second largest auto company in the world). But I agree that they've really improved over the last few years, and I might even consider buying a Tuscani over a Civic Si...

...oh wait, I drive a Lexus! Nevermind :D

They definitely have a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Toyota or Honda. But they are already to where I would buy one of their vehicles over some of the American cars.

I was just trying to make tthe point that they have modeled themselves after Toyota, not that they were there yet.

But at this point I couldn't see myself buying anything they have over a Toyota or Honda, much less one of the luxury brands.

Glad to be here. Already found good info. Biggest help so far was programming garage door opener. It was kicking my butt.

Your own. You don't like the duh camp. so give me something that will bring in customers. I might focus on the 10 year warranty. Showing a Hy. driving strong at 10 years, a 8 year old Camry in the shop, a 6 year old whatever limping down the road. A slogan like 10 years and going strong (I would rather go with 10 years and still going - but Enegizer might have a problem with that).

I just saw an Odyssey commercial that was "Bringing Back The Van" with disco music, a disco ball, flower power, shrooms... very fun.

Several posts in here have talked about the quality of Hy. getting better - they're even winning awards. I still don't believe they're comparable to Lexus, BUT, I do believe they are sneaking up on Toyota & the others. But what do I know, I'm just a girl.....

Your own. You don't like the duh camp. so give me something that will bring in customers. I might focus on the 10 year warranty. Showing a Hyundai driving strong at 10 years, a 8 year old Camry in the shop, a 6 year old whatever limping down the road. A slogan like 10 years and going strong (I would rather go with 10 years and still going - but Enegizer might have a problem with that).

I just saw an Odyssey commercial that was "Bringing Back The Van" with disco music, a disco ball, flower power, shrooms... very fun.

Several posts in here have talked about the quality of Hyundai getting better. I think that has been proven with the awards they've been winning. I still don't believe they're comparable to Lexus, BUT, I do believe they are sneaking up on Toyota & the others (the rental car last week was a Focus.... awful!). So good for Hyundai.... they took a company with poor quality products & have really turned things around. But what do I know, I'm just a girl.....

You're not the target audience. In fact the fact that you don't like the ads means they're well made, the ads make fun of you (as they do all of us luxury car owners).

The ads are working, there's no doubt about that. Hyundai has enjoyed huge increases in sales.

I might focus on the 10 year warranty. Showing a Hyundai driving strong at 10 years, a 8 year old Camry in the shop, a 6 year old whatever limping down the road. A slogan like 10 years and going strong (I would rather go with 10 years and still going - but Enegizer might have a problem with that).

Wouldn't be effective. Effective advertising first of all has to be true or at least have a grain of truth to it. Consumers are savvy enough to know that a Camry and an Accord will still be going strong after 10 years, and in fact that ad would make people think twice about how reliable Hyundais actually are. Their current ads stay away from reliability which they should.

Wouldn't be effective. Effective advertising first of all has to be true or at least have a grain of truth to it. Consumers are savvy enough to know that a Camry and an Accord will still be going strong after 10 years, and in fact that ad would make people think twice about how reliable Hyundais actually are. Their current ads stay away from reliability which they should.

Which part of the "Duh" campaine speaks to the truth seeking consumer? I think there are several ways to advertise, but I'm getting away from the topic at hand which is Hyudai compared to Lexus.

Which part of the "Duh" campaine speaks to the truth seeking consumer? I think there are several ways to advertise, but I'm getting away from the topic at hand which is Hyudai compared to Lexus.

Consumers don't seek truth, they just know lies.

There are many ways to advertise, but there are certain truths that cannot be escaped and one of them is false advertising ALWAYS backfires. I studied marketing in college and started, ran, and sold a marketing consulting firm. Marketing is at the core of everything I do, and I'm pretty good at it.

Hyundai can never compare to Lexus, and the ads don't say that it does. In fact they say "Hey, its not a Lexus (or a BMW, or whatever), but it has a lot of features and its cheap!". Thats the basis for the whole ad, its genious. If the ad truly compared the Hyundai to the Lexus it would fail because consumers know thats a lie. Plenty of companies have tried it...and its always failed.

Thats why a campaign showing a broken down Camry would not be successful, consumers don't question Toyota's reliability. If you're going to design an advertisement that makes a statement like that, it has to reinforce a stigma that the consumer already posesses. All you can poke at the Camry about is being boring, and everybody else already does that.

The whole point of Hyundai's campaign however is that they're featuring luxury cars not their true competitors which are Toyota, Honda, etc. An ad featuring a midmarket car wouldn't fit in with the campaign.

Another thing I love about the ads is that they are POSITIVE! I love that. They are showcasing their product without denigrating their competitors! When is the last time you saw a comparative ad that did that?!?