My Brake Light Fuse Melted Inside My Fuse Box

logic

My car got stuck in park, than I checked the fuse box under the dash and found that the brake light fuse had melted along with part of my fuse box. I suspect wires are touching some where causing a short but I don't know where to start looking, anyone have this problem before or have any suggestions?

If the fuse melted in the fuse holder it is possible it was corroded and arc out, burning everything, the short in the harness should have blown the fuse unless it is the wrong amperage, but even with a short it should have blown. check for signs of corrosion on the rest of the fuses where they contact the fuse. Only other thing is behind the fuse block, wires could have shorted burning the block.

If the fuse melted in the fuse holder it is possible it was corroded and arc out, burning everything, the short in the harness should have blown the fuse unless it is the wrong amperage, but even with a short it should have blown. check for signs of corrosion on the rest of the fuses where they contact the fuse. Only other thing is behind the fuse block, wires could have shorted burning the block.

I'll check behind the fuse box to see if wires are touching, this is the second fuse that went up in flames. Do you think the wires in the trunk hinge could cause this problem?

I'll check behind the fuse box to see if wires are touching, this is the second fuse that went up in flames. Do you think the wires in the trunk hinge could cause this problem?

you should be able to remove fuse and measure 12 volts on one side, and nothing on the other side. The side with 0 should not read a direct short to ground, but would probably require removing the lamps in the brake lights to confirm this. I would check the lamp sockets first, removing them, and hitting the brakes to see if the fuse blows, if it does you probably have a dead short in the harness, and yes possibly in the trunk harness.