Dealer Caused Damage What Would You Do?

Long story short:

-brought IS to dealer for squeak in moonroof

-told dealer they could put their license plate frame around my front license plate

-dealer strips the screw holes for the license plate holder and screws into the front bumper leaving a nasty semi hole and scratch

-dealer says they ordered me a new license plate holder, but no mention of fixing the bumper

What would you do? The scratch and hole will never be seen unless you take the front plate off. I live in MD so we are req'd to have a front plate, but I'm still very, very annoyed.

If its going to be covered by the license plate holder, I wouldn't be worried about it. If you were to remove the license plate holder you'd have to replace the bumper cover anyways because of the big drill holes in the bumper, so I don't see any purpose in trying to cause a fuss over it.

If its going to be covered by the license plate holder, I wouldn't be worried about it. If you were to remove the license plate holder you'd have to replace the bumper cover anyways because of the big drill holes in the bumper, so I don't see any purpose in trying to cause a fuss over it.

that's a good point. I called them today to let them know it happened, but I'm not going to demand they fix it (rep wasn't there so I left a message). It just left a pit in my stomach, that I haven't been able to get over yet. I will use the contact you recommended for service from now on. My coworker gets her RX serviced there too, and I passed along the contact name.

Rockville is getting a new service center, should be pretty nice. I used to get my car serviced in Towson and the shop there is amazing. I imagine they'll be similar.

On my new IS, when I went to take the front plate off (yes, CA is required to have front plates, but who listens?), the dealer had screwed the screws so far in that it damaged the paint surface. I now have my front plate permanently implanted because I'd rather see that than the damage. I never called the dealer about it. I think it's their way of getting people to use the front plate, like the law says you're supposed to!

Well, I'm torn as to whether I'd make a stink about it. I see lots of high end cars every day that don't have front plates, even though it's the law around here.

Just because a scratch won't be seen, it's still a scratch. At the very least I would have done what you did and tell them about it and make known your unhappiness.

While it is a remote possibility, if you ever did sell the car to someone in a non-front-plate-required state, they wouldn't want the scratch, or holes for that matter. His problem I guess.

I feel you pain....the purpose of the forum is served :cries:

Well, I'm torn as to whether I'd make a stink about it. I see lots of high end cars every day that don't have front plates, even though it's the law around here.

Just because a scratch won't be seen, it's still a scratch. At the very least I would have done what you did and tell them about it and make known your unhappiness.

While it is a remote possibility, if you ever did sell the car to someone in a non-front-plate-required state, they wouldn't want the scratch, or holes for that matter. His problem I guess.

I feel you pain....the purpose of the forum is served :cries:

When you sell the car it may be going to a state where there is no front plate law, The buyer may deduct the cost of bumper replacement from the selling price... Have the dealer replace it now at there cost .

We had our car in for service once and we got four 5-inches sratches on the roof from the courtesy carwash at the dealer. They totally denied it and couldn't fix the scratches completely. So now we are left with scrathes on the roof... No sorry or anything but instead the blamed us for making them before it got to the dealer...

I hope that your dealer might be honest!

Have it replaced if you can then there's no hedache afterwards.

Good luck.

But, if the buyer were in a state where they had no front plate, they'd STILL have to replace the bumper due to the holes drilled in for the license plate holder.

IF you have the bumper repainted remember that it won't be a factory paint job. I wouldn't have a panel on a brand new car repainted because of a scratch thats underneath the license plate bracket. Make the issue known to them and see if you can get some free services out of it or something.

As for Rockville, when they get their new dealership done its going to be the second largest on the east coast, the service facilities will be awesome. The way it is now its pretty sorry...

On my new IS, when I went to take the front plate off (yes, CA is required to have front plates, but who listens?), the dealer had screwed the screws so far in that it damaged the paint surface. I now have my front plate permanently implanted because I'd rather see that than the damage. I never called the dealer about it. I think it's their way of getting people to use the front plate, like the law says you're supposed to!

By the way, the missing plate will give a bored cop a reason to stop you, no matter what you are doing. My son is a cop, he says its great for stopping suspected folks, ( he works in a high gang area) . I know in my town of Roseville the cops are quite bored and love to stop you for missing plate.....I know it looks cleaner without the plate....

thanks everyone for "feeling my pain", we'll see what they'll do.

a good friend of mine who manages a car dealership said I'm entitled to the fix, but that I ought to just ask for the $ for the fix and pocket it, with the same notes as what Steve said.

MEANWHILE, had to bring my car back in a couple of minutes ago because my moonroof will not go down after being treated for noise.

I agree that even if you sold it to a place where a front plate wasn't needed that you would have to replace the front bumper anyway and thus you don't have much of an argument there. However, I don't think that you should drop the issue because they were in fact at fault and did damage your car. I would try and get a free service or two out of it instead of having them fix the scratch, depending on how deep it is I would have them put some touchup paint on it though so that it doesn't get any worse w/ the moisture and weather in MD.

Two stories from my personal experience my car was damaged at the dealership when someone opened a door and put a nice dent in it. They fixed it at no cost. I also left another time and went to pull out of the dealership and my hood open warning sign came on. I just closed it and went on my way but called to let them know what happened (as to make sure it didn't happen to others). They gave me a credit for my next appointment because of the mistake.

By the way, the missing plate will give a bored cop a reason to stop you, no matter what you are doing. My son is a cop, he says its great for stopping suspected folks, ( he works in a high gang area) . I know in my town of Roseville the cops are quite bored and love to stop you for missing plate.....I know it looks cleaner without the plate....

Yes, I know this. Which makes me wonder why, when I owned my BMW, I got pulled over for speeding. Pulled outta the carpool lane for going 79 (when others were passing me). I had a black BMW emblem on the front bumper instead of my license plate. The cop never cited me for it. Actually, I think he didn't want to deal with my angry husband and passengers in the back any longer, so just gave me the ticket and sent me on my way. lol.

I love it when people get angry when they're caught speeding. Defense mechanisms are fascinating to me.

He probably just didn't notice the plate missing.

I wasn't angry about the speeding. I was angry because people were passing me, and he chose me to pull out of the carpool lane, over four other lanes through traffic, and to the shoulder. I didn't think it was a safe maneuver. But whatever. He told me that he had to chase me to catch up to me, passing ten other cars. The guy was green. Anyways, life goes on.....

It's a little late now but you might be able to request that your new car not have a front license plate installed. The new Lexus cars come off the delivery truck with the front license plate bracket in the trunk or sometimes the glove box. There are two little dimples in the front bumper to line up where the screws go into the urethane.

I used to feel weird driving a screw into the front bumper of a brand new car during a Pre Delivery Service but it doesn't both me so much anymore.

It's the law around here to have a front plate and I've been pulled over before for not having one.

I can see the service writer/manager rolling their eyes for you wanting to get the bumper fixed when the damage is not visible, but it would bother me too. Perfectionist's are sometimes hard to deal with, but that's the kind of customer Lexus is trying to attract in the first place.

-Dave