93 Ls400 Instructions For Replacing The Sunroof

pfleyva

I have a 1993 LS400.

Does anyone have any instructions for replacing the sunroof?

Back Story: My son smashed up my 1994 LS400 last week, so this week I bought another, but the new one has a boken sunroof. (I'm a pretty exciting guy, huh? :geek: )

Thanks

My son smashed up the '94, so now I'm driving a '93 also......... whodathunkit? :wacko:

I'm not aware of any pics or tutorials.

All depends on whether by broken sunroof you mean the glass or the mechanism. If you need to swap out the whole assembly then you need to remove the Headliner.

If you are just replacing the glass panel, then you will find that the plastic trim on the bottom side of the glass is held on with pinch clips (proper terminology?). The plastic may be sunbaked and brittle in which case it is likely to break. With the plastic off you will be able to access the nuts on the mounting studs and it will be pretty straightforward from there. You will probably find shims at the attachment points. Keep track of quantity and location for reassembly. I probably spent more time adjusting shim thickness and test driving for wind-whistle than I did in changing the glass.

You will probably find shims at the attachment points. Keep track of quantity and location for reassembly. I probably spent more time adjusting shim thickness and test driving for wind-whistle than I did in changing the glass.

To take off on a related topic (if y'all don't mind).

I have some wind whistle from the sunroof.

Will adjusting via the shims fix that, or is it new seal time?

I only have my one-time experience to go on, but I can tell you that the whole assembly is not light. It mounts only along the edges, so I can imagine that over many years it will sit differently in the roof hole. I would play with shim adjustment first, but I enjoy that sort of thing. :)

I only have my one-time experience to go on, but I can tell you that the whole assembly is not light. It mounts only along the edges, so I can imagine that over many years it will sit differently in the roof hole. I would play with shim adjustment first, but I enjoy that sort of thing. :)

OK, I'll do that, after I'm caught up with the other project.

My '40 Chevy coupe street rod was just painted, and I gotta get it

back together for the Easter car show (it's on the t-shirt and dash

plaque)