My Ls400 Smokes When I Start It Up.

logic

My 1992 LS400 smokes white smoke when I start it up but goes away once I start driving, it is not the power steering valve because I checked the hose going to the intake and it is dry. When I rev the engine and take my foot off the peddle I hear a slight rattle comming from my third cat closest to the tail pipe, the guy at the muffler shop said not to worry but I'm wondering if he could be wrong. Is this a sign of a clogged cat when you hear a rattle in it and possible causing my car to burn rich. My check engine light is off and this is a complete mystery to me. I seen one person post a bad charcoal cannister can cause it, another said the plugs or coils could be bad, another person says a bad O2 sensor can cause a bad mixture of fuel and air, how can I find out what to change without my check engine light being on but still getting white stink smoke. I don't want to replace parts that are not bad so any help would be appreciated.