New Member To The Club

chilkoot

it barely made it here, and I couldn't be happier :cheers:

it's 30k miles overdue for its first 100k service, and I had to change the oil before I drove it home because the oil was like tar (my guess is at least 10k since last change). it needs about $5k of mechanic quoted work and I traded my '02 90K Taurus for it. when I pulled into the parking lot it was making belt/pulley noise (for the first time), but it's not going to move until I do everything to it, so it looks like I rescued it just in time.

I can't wait to get started, simply cannot wait. after I get the parts expect a post asking advice on how to go about tackling the work (mostly order of work and what procedures to group together).

and my brother said he was getting horrible mileage, but I drove it 150 miles home and am maybe 1/8" below 3/4 tank, seems pretty good to me. :D

$1500 for tune up (ordered all of the parts last night from LPO for $700+$80 shipping)

$500 for a cracked engine coolant tank (have one sitting in my trunk I pulled from a '90)

$800 for driver's window motor/master switch (also in my trunk)

$800 for rear main crankshaft seal ($20 on LPO)

$200 for rear toe adjustment retainer+alignment (can't do myself)

$1300 to fix the speedo, cracked resistor plate (i have GPS, so screw it)

$500 for front pads/rotors and rear pads (will order after I fix the engine)

$200 for heater control valve leak (")

I made out like a fiend on this deal. Looking through the service records the entire A/C system was replaced at 110,000 (clutch, compressor, tubes, pipes, etc.). It's at 130 now.

I'm thinking dual remote turbos in less than a year, if all goes well.

Hi Friend ... you sure found THE PLACE to be if you own a Lexus! Ughhhh .... please allow me ..... you really NEED locate the solenoid on the power steering rack ... pull it out and clean the small, very delicate filter that is located inside ... this needs immediate attention based on what you have said so far about your new purchase. If the owner you bought your car from neglected something as basic as engine oil ... you can bet your last $5 bill he sure as heck did not even know about this basic (largely unknown) service item. Most Lexus mechanics seem to not know about this either ....... but thanks to this web site ... WE know it ....

If you take a little time you can find good photos of what I am talking about as well as instructions here at the Club ... just do a search ..... The job is fairly simple to do. I just take my car to this great independent mechanic I know and he does it for me ..... cost me about $110 for everything.

My power steering system was "sweating" fluid everywhere when I first bought my [used] 95 LS400 .... and it was looking like a major repair bill .... but not any more. We did the service to this little filter ... flushed the system ... and now my power steering system has no more signs of leaks anywhere. Problem solved!

Check it out .... you are about to save a ton of money.

More food for thought: ... clean the battery connections now (at the battery). I had my car for about one day .... suddenly the whole car went dead when i went to start it !! It was just the negative battery connection. I took a wire brush attachment on my electric drill to it ... cleaned everything really good and put it all back together .... no more problems. Strange thing is ... the connections there looked good before I did anything to it. Not so ..... the corrosion was not immediately visible ....

these cars are great ..... hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine ....

good luck

chil! I really look forward to the finished product! No offense but your mechanic was giving you dealer prices. I bet for less than 1300 you can have that car running fantastic. Its so easy to work on.

Pics?

I'm kinda confused about the costs that you will be incurring. I bought a '94LS with 97,000 miles a couple of years ago, and similar to you, I traded for it with a 98 Honda Accord with 99,000 miles. I'm no mechanic, but there's an awful lot of work that even a fumblefingers like me can do for low cost.

I replaced the rotors and pads front and back for $250. Changed the cabin filter for $25. Wires and plugs were about $100. I replaced all bulbs interior and exterior for about $100. Jim Walker repaired the well known instrument display problem for $225. Installed a new antenna for $25 (bought on EBay). A part on the A/C system broke, a mechanic tried to tell me that it would cost $1,200-it cost me $200 total-story on this forum.

I replaced the Air Control Valve on the power steering for $100, since the car was losing fluid. I repaired the window master switch myself-amazing.

Yes, I did take it in the shorts for one repair-The water pump was leaking when I bought the car. So I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Along with all the wheels and pulleys. No work I could do. So I paid $1,300. Since then, my mechanic went out of business, and I've found a great replacement mechanic. Live and learn.

So maybe I'm out $2,500 or so, but there is nothing wrong with the Lexus now-RLT-Runs like a top. Just food for thought...

I've got $700 in parts on the way from LPO that i'll be replacing myself, including the full 100k service (serpentine belt/idler/tensioner, timing belt/idler/tensioner and water pump), plug wires, 2 distributor rotors and caps. I don't think I'll have to have a mechanic replace anything but the rear toe adjustment retainer (and subsequent alignment). I'll be getting NGK iridium's from my local auto parts store as LPO did not specifically list what type of plugs they sold and I didn't want to risk anything.

After I get it updated on basic maintenance I'm going to tackle the ACV, PS solenoid/filter, heater control valve, window motor, brakes and rear crankshaft seal.

Thanks for the info on the PS solenoid, it hasn't had any PS problems, the smoke in the exhaust turned out to be an empty gas tank, but I'll be doing that anyways for peace of mind.

I estimated about $1.3-$1.5k in parts before I started, you're right on the money Omar.

And yes, i'm EXTREMELY excited to have this car 2-3 weeks away from having it running like a top. I'm obsessive about my car maintenance to the point of aggravating my girlfriend. Kudos to everyone here for all the help they've already given and any I recieve in the future, these are the best cars in the world.

and Omar, it's identical to yours. I'll get pics when i get around to buying more AA's for my digi cam.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the thermostat and o-ring while you are doing the belts and tensioners. The thermostat and o-ring would cost you under twenty dollars at your local dealer. I just replaced mine on my 90. My temp. was not getting up enough and just had t-belt and belts, tensioners, idlers, plugs, wires and radiator replaced, maybe 10,000 miles ago. I looked back and noticed that I did not buy a thermostat. Now, engine gets to temp and idles like it should... Just a thought!!!

Bryan