Engine No Longer Cranks When Key Is Released

j.barleycorn

Hello all! Long time no see.

I'm back in the saddle again after a winter hiatus. Since August I sold the 2000 Tacoma, bought a 2003 4Runner Limited, and just resumed driving the Lexus after having it largely off the road since November. You may see in another thread I was coerced into a reconditioned Lexus steering rack when I took the car in for its 4 months-past-due NYS inspection. I was happy with the deal and the service, and the car has been good to me, so I got over my initial disdain for the mechanic and made peace with the Lexus gods.

Prior to this, I had allowed the old battery to weaken and die during the winter, as some big storms buried the poor LS and prevented me from starting her for awhile.

After the fresh battery was installed and I replaced the newly blown cigarette lighter fuses, I noticed that cool old Lexus feature of turning the key, then letting the engine crank on its own no longer works. Not that this is the end of the world, of course, but I wonder if anyone can shed some light?

I tried some searched but apparently could not put a combination of words together which rang the bell of the database.

Oh, and this starting feature was new to the 4Runner line in 2003... a mere 13 years after Lexus introduced it.

Much obliged to the first person to tell me a thing or two...