Help!my Radio Antenna Doesn't Come Up!plz Identify Cable

My radio antenna was not coming up, it just made a LOUD GRINDING NOISE when I try to put the radio on. I looked around the antenna area and found this loose cable COMING FROM FRONT of the car. Please help me identify what this cable is and if this cable is the problem and where does it GO? PLEASE HELP if you know, And THANK YOU in advance.

1002558bn7.th.jpg

1002566ho8.th.jpg

1002560ql6.th.jpg

1002567nc2.th.jpg

1002569di6.th.jpg

I don't know the technical name for that connector you have shown there, but without it you won't get a radio signal. It connects your antenna to the receiver.

Regarding the grinding noise, that's gonna be the teeth of your antenna mast being eaten up by the gear inside the motor that rotates to wind the mast up and down. The mast is a long plastic zipper-like strand that runs inside the antenna (plus an additional 14" to 20") and wraps around a gear (usually plastic also) inside the antenna motor. It's replaceble independant of the antenna, but will likely bring even the most seasoned grease-monkey considerable angst trying to pre-wind it, load it and set it back inside the spring-loaded motor housing AND have it's teeth line up perfectly with the gear. I know from multiple experiences.

If you're strapped for cash, you may want to try replacing it yourself. If you want to save yourself some frustration (having stripped it apart and put everything back together thinking "It's GOTTA be right THIS TIME!" :cries: multiple times in a row) then just have a professional do it. Either way, as long as you can still hear the motor running, you don't need to waste money replacing the whole unit. But either way, it sounds like you need a new antenna mast.

Hope this helps.

I don't know the technical name for that connector you have shown there, but without it you won't get a radio signal. It connects your antenna to the receiver.

Regarding the grinding noise, that's gonna be the teeth of your antenna mast being eaten up by the gear inside the motor that rotates to wind the mast up and down. The mast is a long plastic zipper-like strand that runs inside the antenna (plus an additional 14" to 20") and wraps around a gear (usually plastic also) inside the antenna motor. It's replaceble independant of the antenna, but will likely bring even the most seasoned grease-monkey considerable angst trying to pre-wind it, load it and set it back inside the spring-loaded motor housing AND have it's teeth line up perfectly with the gear. I know from multiple experiences.

If you're strapped for cash, you may want to try replacing it yourself. If you want to save yourself some frustration (having stripped it apart and put everything back together thinking "It's GOTTA be right THIS TIME!" :cries: multiple times in a row) then just have a professional do it. Either way, as long as you can still hear the motor running, you don't need to waste money replacing the whole unit. But either way, it sounds like you need a new antenna mast.

Hope this helps.

Your antena mast needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

Your antena mast needs replacing.

Leave it to grand-master dcfish to say in 5-words what takes me 200. LOL

Bought mine here a while back.

Just follow the instructions cafefully.

It's not too hard.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/model_category...rts+Search.y=23

Hope this helps.

My radio antenna was not coming up, it just made a LOUD GRINDING NOISE when I try to put the radio on. I looked around the antenna area and found this loose cable COMING FROM FRONT of the car. Please help me identify what this cable is and if this cable is the problem and where does it GO? PLEASE HELP if you know, And THANK YOU in advance.

1002558bn7.th.jpg

1002566ho8.th.jpg

1002560ql6.th.jpg

1002567nc2.th.jpg

1002569di6.th.jpg

That cable is for your phone.

1002558bn7.th.jpg

1002566ho8.th.jpg

1002560ql6.th.jpg

1002567nc2.th.jpg

1002569di6.th.jpg

That cable is for your phone.

Follow this link and you will get the idea. Very simple, Should take less than an hour.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

Hey Mike,

I recently had to replace my antenna mast in my SC400. It took approximately 30 minutes as a result of having to remove the entire antenna assembly. I had to remove the cover in order to remove the broken piece of plastic that winds the antenna up and down. Once the broken piece was removed, I reassembled the unit, replaced it back in it's correct location and fed the new antenna mast per instructions that came with the new mast...

It was quite simple actually...

I purchased the mast off of Ebay for about $20...and it works great. What ever you do, don't buy the entire antenna assembly. I did that and came to find out that it was some sort of univeral POS and I didn't need it.

Good luck,

Jitters