License Plate Lights

rocky2003

Does anyone know how to replace the license plate lights that are on the bottom of the upper tailgate on a 98 LX470? I have a burned out bulb and cannot figure out how to replace it.

Thanks!

you're gonna have to pop out the entire light. stick a screw driver covered with a cloth between the plastic and the metal of the car. then push the screw driver gently towards the center of the light while also applying a downward force. the clip should disengage and the light should come off. be careful, it is clipped and u do not want to break it off. once you pull it off, unscrew the socket from the plastic and replace the bulb. the bulb is 194 size. good luck. if you still have trouble, ill take some pics and post them up.

p.s. might i suggest replacing them with super white led's. it gives a much cleaner and updated look. but its up to you.

• 2 years later...

I actually had to do this today. Pry off from both sides a little at a time, the clip is on one of the sides of the shortest part of the housing. I did not have to use a towel. I did not scratch the paint. I used a flathead but it could have easily been done with the trucks key.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to replace the license plate lights that are on the bottom of the upper tailgate on a 98 LX470? I have a burned out bulb and cannot figure out how to replace it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the posting. Worked as described. Should not have to do for another 13 years.