Ls400 1990 Radio Issues

pearlyLs400

Help ME PLEASE!!!! MY RADIO JUST WENT OUT

I started this new topic cause theres not many topics dedicated to RADIO ISSUES for the LS400 1990

SOMEONE CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME !!!! This is what happen: I was driving and all of a sudden the radio starting not coming on immediatley when i get in the car and power on the radio. It would take say 10-15 minutes then,you could press the radio power button and the radio would come on. Some days it would take longer to warm up to come and other days it would come right on. As the days pass it took longer and longer to warm up before it came on even up to 45 minutes of driving then it would come on. NOW it does not even power on.

NO power

NO LIGHTS

NO SOUND

CDS will not play sound

Tapes will not play sound

I hear a crackle and slight light pop from the back speakers everytime i press the power button.

ALso the antenna wont go up

i also notice the mileage tracker stop counting my miles soon as the radion stop working

help me please whats going on and how much will this cost

Im in houston texas

ls400 1990

Welcome to the club-

I'll take a stab at this. You might want to check your alternator and battery.

When I was installing a new antenna in my 1992 LS400 (and of course testing it and the radio's reception here and there while installing without starting the engine) I eventually discovered I had ran my old crappy battery so low that it would no longer power the radio or the antenna.

Given the vintage and generation of your Lexus, which are prone to power steering fluid leaks onto the alternator below, you may have a charging system problem.

Good luck!

seconded, happened to my '90 exactly as described above. LCD display would only read "err" for about two weeks, until all of the lights on the dash lit up and the alternator promptly died.

strangely, a power steering issue was never diagnosed, only a dead alternator. but the car did eventually die of a cracked power steering cylinder (maybe a misdiagnosed failed ACV, which would be a shame to have killed the car), so I say check the both of them, power steering and charging.

dont need to panic

since there is no complain for other electric devices, or the car wont start in the morning. i guess there is nothing to do with battery or the alternator

this would probably be the issue of power supply to radio system. most likely poor contact of some components below, they should be checked first

1- the radio power/ volum button

2- wiring connectors in radio system

3- the fuse

4- radio system wiring harness

the radio and tape player wiring harness attached may help you to identify the issue

good luck

radio_and_tape_player_wiring_harness.pdf

Gosh i thank all of all so much this site really rocks...

Ok today i checked both FUSES under the hood and side panel BOTH ARE GOOD

All i read today while driving was crakles and pops very quitely from the speaker and inside the car. like something was trying to come on.....

as to the alteranator prognosis: how do i know if my alternator going out...my car starts fine.

as i say, there is nothing to do with the alt or battery, but you may want to check to make sure

the car starts fine proving battery is good. Is the radio on when engine is not running? if yes, next step is to check the alternator. if no, nothing to do with it logically.

if the battery is fine, then how come the alternator is bad? bad alternator wont provide charge current to battery, battery can not be good

I maintain what I suggested.

My car started and ran when the radio and antenna was dead. I recall I later found out that the car is wired in such a way that the radio can die first before the charging system finally does. Note the two relays in the schematic.

Take it to an Autozone and have them check the battery and the alternator. It's free and might save you more trouble than not having tunes!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

My car started and ran when the radio and antenna was dead. I recall I later found out that the car is wired in such a way that the radio can die first before the charging system finally does. Note the two relays in the schematic.

Take it to an Autozone and have them check the battery and the alternator. It's free and might save you more trouble than not having tunes!

Barley:

Uhhhhh, Welcome back................................. :wacko:

Barley:

Uhhhhh, Welcome back.................................:wacko:

The faceplate pcb board has gone out. Better to replace with a 90 to 02 nakamichi headunt. The pioneer headunits seem to only last 15 years. That is definetly what is wrong.

DC-

Will the faceplate PCB board explain:

"Also the antenna wont go up

i also notice the mileage tracker stop counting my miles soon as the radion stop working".

?

My reply was to pearlyLs400, j.barleycorn, What seems to be your issue with your audio ?

Hi DC-

I have no audio problem. The quote was from Pearly's original list of symptoms he identified when he encountered his audio problem.

Pearly, where are you? Progress?

No prob.

pearlyLs400 = HER

• 3 months later...

Howdy!

I am a newby on the forum, and this trhead seemed the closest to my problem. have a 92 LS400 that we owned for 8 years. we did not use it for a few months, and when we wanted to start it up, the battery was drained, so i have charged it up (revived nicelly) and when i sat to start it the built in phone that we never used or activated started to beep, and the stereo was muted. The car started and everithing works on it except the stereo seems like it is on mute, if i crank it up I can sort of fear the music (all aspects of the audio and CD works) but the power is extremelly weak. Yook it to Lexus (JP Lexus In North vancouver) they are good people, tech disconnected the phone, but the stereo is still muted, they can not fix the problem, the only suggestion they had is to take the deck out and giv it a try to have it repaired by 3rd party. The power amp works as on high volume a hiss is comming out of all speakers, and I can hear the music from all channels, but it is so dim sound like it is on MUTE. Oh yes it is a Nakamichi system.

Amy ideas will be appreciated

Tnx

Ty

• 1 month later...

Hey Yall thanks

you know i had a baby girl so i been away for a while well got that RADIO fixed i just traded my old one in for a replacement one $125 and its work greats, on the other hand as a women i drove my car with low oil and had to get a new engine, worse over my car is CAlifornia born and the mechanic put a 49 state engine in it now my check engine wont go off, if anybody can tell me about compatablity engines help me i have a new post check under my member name and see my post..

Thanks yall

any leaky sunroofs i got a fix for it $5 bucks is what i cost me , ill be more than happy to share the wuick fix solution i used to stop my leaky sunroof