By Golly....i Found My Roof Leaking Problem

acflye

Finally got the nerve to pull my headliner down using the tutorial (lexus wanted $235 to repair sunroof leak), once i removed the paneling in the rear behind drivers seat found the plastic tubing disconnected from the sunroof drain........placed this line back on and pulled car outside during heavy Texas rains this weekend and PRESTO.....no leak in headliner or trunk.............saved myself $235........FELLAS......THESE TUTORIALS ARE "OFF DA CHAIN"..............92 ls 400

Finally got the nerve to pull my headliner down using the tutorial (lexus wanted $235 to repair sunroof leak), once i removed the paneling in the rear behind drivers seat found the plastic tubing disconnected from the sunroof drain........placed this line back on and pulled car outside during heavy Texas rains this weekend and PRESTO.....no leak in headliner or trunk.............saved myself $235........FELLAS......THESE TUTORIALS ARE "OFF DA CHAIN"..............92 ls 400

You have any idea about radio issues with the 1990 ls400 can you please help me I have a TOPIC called

LS400 1990 RADIO ISSUES

can you comment there please

Not to sound stupid but i know my sunroof leaks because my passenger side headliner get soaked when it rains heavily. I'm thinkin a drain line must've gotten disconnected somewhere. My trunk leaks too but i haven't really bothered. I will work on it this weekend.

Thanks guys for helping me find it. I thought i knew my stuff.

I'll update yall later this week.

Not to sound stupid but i know my sunroof leaks because my passenger side headliner get soaked when it rains heavily. I'm thinkin a drain line must've gotten disconnected somewhere. My trunk leaks too but i haven't really bothered. I will work on it this weekend.

Thanks guys for helping me find it. I thought i knew my stuff.

I'll update yall later this week.

Omar:

Not to sound stupid but i know my sunroof leaks because my passenger side headliner get soaked when it rains heavily.

On the contrary, that's one of the more intelligent statements that I've seen in the last three weeks...... :whistles:

• 2 months later...

Hello hope you can help me...Well im a women and i had the same problem leaking roof..took it to lexus fixer nothing still leaks so im taking your word cause souds like you know what your doing...just let me tell my leaking area

DRIVER SIDE $headliner (the area thats nearest the door frame this area get wet....

can i repair this in the same way you did ir is this a diferent issue of leaking.....

how will i know whatst the plastic tubing is will i see it ..?

does this tubing run from the front to the rear or something???

PearlyLS400 -

More than likely, you just have a stopped-up drain line. This is more common than the plastic drain tube coming disconnected.

I assume that you are talking about a leak in the area around the front of the sunroof, not the rear. If so, this is fairly easy to fix.

If you will open the sunroof and look at the front corners of the sunroof assembly, you will see two small holes. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. These holes allow water to drain from the sunroof assembly and out of the car through plastic tubing which exits the car just behind the front wheels. These holes tend to get blocked with dirt and other debris. Your job is to get them unblocked. The task is somewhat complicated because this drain turns downward about two inches from its entrance.

The first thing I would try is to get about two feet of plastic trimmer line, e.g. Weedeater line, and run this through the drain entrance hole and force it into the tubing as far as it will go. Odds are, your blockage is where the passage turns downward close to the top. Trimmer line is stiff enough to break through the debris blockages but flexible enough to make the turns required.

Another solution is compressed air, if you have an air compressor. This is how the dealers open these drains. You would need a small nozzle on which you could push on a small piece of plastic hose, small enough to fit into the drain opening. Insert this piece of hose into the opening and hold the nozzle tight against the opening. Use a fairly low air pressure at first (20-25 lbs, perhaps). You don't want to put so much pressure into the line that you separate the tubing connections (as was mentioned earlier in this thread).

When you feel you have the drain opened, you can check by running a small amount of water through the drain. Watch for it to exit at the bottom just behind the wheel.

There are four of these drains, two at the front of the sunroof and two at the rear. The rear ones are very difficult to clear if they get blocked, because you cannot access the drain holes. The only answer with these drains is the headliner removal mentioned in the first posting in this thread.

• 1 year later...

We had a deluge here in Austin yesterday and the rear of my headliner and the rear floorboards of my 1994 LS400 got wet. It appears that the rear drains are plugged. I would like to fish some heavy trim line backwards through the rear drain tubes to clear them.

Can you give me a clue where the drains exit the car at the rear?

Soaked in Austin.

Bogey

I have no water in the cabin, but the bottom of my trunk fills with water..

No water in the upper portion of the trunk where items are stored. Only wet underneath where the tire is.

Still clueles as to the cause.. Think a drain could have come unhooked down there?

check out the water channels on the body frame, a complete inspection would reveal the water flow leakage, because if the storage is happening into the Spare Tire compartment, these are definetely channeled from the water drain out points on the body frame. Just check out the hood seals by removing them, and have it resealed using a good silicone sealant .

I spray brake cleaner down mine to clear them.

Thanks SK,

OK. I have no problem with the front drains, but how do you access the rear drains with the cleaner?

Brake cleaner evaporates pretty quickly. Do you pour cleaner in the channel and let it drain back to the rear tubes, or use some sort of long spray tube to reach back to them? I'm a little wary about pouring the solvent in the channel. If gets on the headliner, it could affect it worse than the water.

Most cans of brake cleaner come with a log tube to stick in the nozzle..

Unless I'm missing something here...

(1) the nozzle tube would have to be a couple feet long;

(2) I would have to know the exact location of the rear drains (I don't); and

(3) I would need to know a fool-proof method to insert the nozzle tube into the rear drains.

Anybody done this?

A definitive "how-to" would be great.

Just to be clear - I had no problems cleaning the front drains of my sunroof. I have seen many posts for these easily accessible drains. It's the rear drains for which I'm asking guidance.

I just don't want to go in without a clear understanding of the physical make-up and damage anything. I would also really like to avoid dropping the headliner for this fix if at all possible. That's why I originally asked if anyone could point me to the exit points of the rear drain tubes. I was thinking I could push some nylon trim line backward through the tube to clear the obstruction.

Thanks to all of you for offering up your experiences.

• 6 months later...
Most cans of brake cleaner come with a log tube to stick in the nozzle..

Unless I'm missing something here...

(1) the nozzle tube would have to be a couple feet long;

(2) I would have to know the exact location of the rear drains (I don't); and

(3) I would need to know a fool-proof method to insert the nozzle tube into the rear drains.

Anybody done this?

A definitive "how-to" would be great.

Just to be clear - I had no problems cleaning the front drains of my sunroof. I have seen many posts for these easily accessible drains. It's the rear drains for which I'm asking guidance.

I just don't want to go in without a clear understanding of the physical make-up and damage anything. I would also really like to avoid dropping the headliner for this fix if at all possible. That's why I originally asked if anyone could point me to the exit points of the rear drain tubes. I was thinking I could push some nylon trim line backward through the tube to clear the obstruction.

Thanks to all of you for offering up your experiences.