96 Sc400 Door Latch

my 96 sc400 needs to have the passenger side door latch/lock assembly changed, the door handle rod slipped out; (broken rod clip;) and was bent donward when the window was lowerd, when I bent the rod back, it broke off, the door handle pull rod, is part of the door latch/lock, and cannot be replaced, you must replace, the entire assembly. of coarse the dealership wants over $500.00 for the work, the part goes for $280.00, any tips out there.

I had a similiar problem. Could not open the door from the outside. Had to replace a little plastic called a outside door handle snap. It connected the rod to the outside handle. Part number for the passenger side door snap 69293-12050. Fixed it for about $6. But it didn't have anything to do with the lock or latch.

my 96 sc400 needs to have the passenger side door latch/lock assembly changed, the door handle rod slipped out; (broken rod clip;) and was bent donward when the window was lowerd, when I bent the rod back, it broke off, the door handle pull rod, is part of the door latch/lock, and cannot be replaced, you must replace, the entire assembly. of coarse the dealership wants over $500.00 for the work, the part goes for $280.00, any tips out there.

'mberrett', Post your part request to this guy, he might be able to help... Email me: if you need used cars, used parts, or rebuildable vehicles, a portion of the proceeds goes to clublexus.com. Thank you.

Authorized CL Vendor

Email: gazi.ali@gmail.com AOL IM: PL Gazi

Paypal: gazi_ali@hotmail.com underscore("_") between gazi and ali

Buy with confidence, check my feedback: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119137

You can send him a PM (aliga), he is a member of this club too. GOOD LUCK!

I had a similiar problem. Could not open the door from the outside. Had to replace a little plastic called a outside door handle snap. It connected the rod to the outside handle. Part number for the passenger side door snap 69293-12050. Fixed it for about $6. But it didn't have anything to do with the lock or latch.

This hasn't happen to me yet, but if/when it does, I hope it's as simple to repair as yours, lexus082. I just recently had to replace the entire exterior door handle assembly in my wife's Eclipse, and it was an absolute nighmare - having to remove the glass from the door. It took me 4.5 hours of !Removed! around to finally finish the job. I absolutely dread the day when I might have to do the same for the Lex.

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me - the break and all. I took the bottom broken piece of the rod - now in the shape of a "U", drilled a small hole at the base of the "U", turned it upside down, drilled a small hole at the base of the top part of the rod just above the break point & screwed the two pieces together with a small sheet metal screw (kind of looked like a tuning fork). I then re-inserted the upside "U" part of the rod back into the locking mechanism in its original place (small hole with a spring loaded bar against the edge of the door) & clipped the top part of the rod back onto its place on the door handle. It has been over six months and it has worked like a charm (knock on wood).

• 9 months later...

My passenger side door won't open at all.. At first it was just the inside handle not actuating anything, I figured I would look at it later... Well, should have looked sooner because now that outside handle has the same problem.:chairshot:.. The door is still shut...

Any ideas on how to go about:

A. opening the door

B. repairing the handles

Especially - opening the door!

Lexus SC400 1992

Wow must be door gremlings this week. It just happened to my 300/ I think the cold weather had something to do with mine. Passenger side opens from inside only. There are DIY on Club Lexus forum- might have to remove door panel:(

Yeah - this happens to everybody...

It seems as popular an issue as this is, somebody should rebuild them or make replacement rods... Anybody know of anything like that?

Also - Interior Handles... If your's haven't broken yet, odds are they will. I know they're not that that expensive from the dealer ($50 when I had to replace one two years ago), but do you know of anyplace to get them?

• 8 months later...

• 1 month later...

1992 lesux sc400 door handle problem.

Hello, I had a similar problem with the passenger side door. The door would not open from the outside, so I replaced the door handle snap. Now the door opens just fine from the outside, however, from the inside, I can't lock the door or open it (at least with the amount of force I was comfortable using). It seems to lock, but it must not be locking all the way, because I can open it right up from the outside. I must admit that when I was working on the door, I left the door handle attached to the panel hanging by those cables.

Any advice?

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

'mberrett', Post your part request to this guy, he might be able to help... Email me: if you need used cars, used parts, or rebuildable vehicles, a portion of the proceeds goes to clublexus.com. Thank you.

Authorized CL Vendor

Email: gazi.ali@gmail.com AOL IM: PL Gazi

Paypal: gazi_ali@hotmail.com underscore("_") between gazi and ali

Buy with confidence, check my feedback: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119137

You can send him a PM (aliga), he is a member of this club too. GOOD LUCK!

• 8 years later...