Rescuing An Ls400

chilkoot

My brother has a '93 LS400 with 131k miles that was passed down from extended family, and it's in pretty bad condition. It needs about $4500 worth of work according to our family mechanic who has been trusted with the family's '90 LS400 (that hasn't moved in 2 years due to neglect and abuse after I left for college. why oh why wasn't I allowed to keep that car :censored: ). He can't afford to fix it. It's also got new tires.

So, long story short, my brother needs a car and I love fixing them. So what I'm considering is having him buy my Taurus from me (for $6,000) and taking the Lexus myself to fix (doubt it would cost me anything. I've been asked to keep an eye out for good ~$8K used cars to replace his and nobody thinks the Lexus is worth fixing but me). I've got the sheets from the mechanic, and it seems like most of this is stuff I can do/have already done to my Taurus. Plugs, wires, tensioners, idlers, belt, plugs, wires, distributor, brake pads+rotors (discs all around=easy, I hope) are about $2000 of the quoted $5000, and $1,300 of that is for a new computer because the resistor plate is hosed and the speedo doesn't work. I have a GPS unit that displays speed, so that's no biggie. The remainder of it is the driver power window master switch ($866), heater control valve that is leaking some engine coolant ($197.22), rear suspension toe adjustment retainer ($99) and rear main crankshaft seal that is leaking oil ($789) which I would probably have to have all done by the mechanic. Concievably I could get away with a great car and money in the bank if I'm willing to put some considerable time into the car, it's probably going to get junked if I don't.

I sourced all of the parts for the stuff I can do myself on LexusPartsOnline.com for about $1200, including brakes/discs all around and 100k service parts (that f'ing crankshaft gasket was only $22 at LPO). That leaves about $800 worth of stuff that I'd have the mechanic do. Does LPO ship all OEM parts, and are they reputable? Also, am I getting in over my head? I've got a truck to drive while the Lexus is under the knife, so to speak, and I've got a wide variety of hand tools and am willing to invest in more.

Will the driver's window motor/master switch and engine coolant expansion tank from a '90 LS400 fit on an '03? If so, that'd probably seal the deal for me.

edit: I've got a long-standing love of LS400's and it'd be real nice to be back in one, especially if it's going to mean money in the bank. If this goes through I look forward to being part of the club and I thank you all for your help.

Holy Snot Rockets, another Seahawk in the building!! I'm a Seahawk myself, lived there for 8+ years, infact, was just their last weekend with my buddies, raising cane on the boat.

A few questions.... Suspension is a pretty big issue on these cars. The control arm bushings all wear out after a while. You have options on that model year to go aftermarket it you like, probably $500 worth to go around the car. Or, probably $1,600 if you go oem through lpo. To answer your question about the online parts....yes, they're oem, and see that list in my signature, they're all from them "suspension parts".

Air suspension????? If yes....then no, i wouldn't mess with it. Not that you can't fix it too with aftermarket, but it's pricey, and won't leave that much in your bank.

I'll let the other generation 1 guys chime in a bit more. But the LS400 is an awsome car, and not hard to work on. Those miles aren't much to worry about. You'll need to do the timing belt too. You'll also need a manual to make sure you hit the right torque setitngs for the bolts.

If air suspension....then no.

If normal suspension, then probably yes.

Got pictures?

normal suspension. I was actually within 3 months of replacing the suspension on my Taurus with KYB GR-2/Eibach's, I would consider it a MUCH better investment to do something similar to a Lexus. Suspension would come immediately after the engine work if parts are readily available.

that $1200 from LPO includes rotors and pads all around (i've read OEM is best), serpentine belt/tensioner/idler, timing belt/tensioner/idler and rear main crankshaft gasket+retainer, enough to get this car running smoothly.

can I pull the coolant tank and driver window motor/master switch from the '90? what other various parts would be good to pull off of it as it's going away soon? (the stereo is hosed, but otherwise everything works but power steering and the body is in horrible condition)

and yup, a Seahawk. If you see a white LS400 with a surfboard on the roof this summer it's probably me. unless I paint it black.

also, am I mistaken in assuming that SC400's and LS400's share the same engine and transmission?

given my current situation, I wouldn't be opposed to powertrain modifications. What's the powertrain situation like, where are the bottlenecks? Intake, exhaust, fuel supply, torque converter, detuning? Are UDP's available?

At 130k the LS should just be hitting its prime so i'd be worried about it being in such bad condition at those miles. Probably means it wasn't well cared for and long term prognosis may not be good. Does it burn any oil between 5k oil changes? If no and you can get it for free and do most of the work yourself, then it might make sense to buy. If repair costs go much over what you listed you'll be approaching the market value of the car. And as NC said, suspension parts can get expensive when they start to go bad. If it was me, i'd find a Gen2 LS to fix up (i like the body changes on next gen).

Can't say for sure, but i think most everything would be interchangeable between a 90 and an 93.

Good luck with your decision.

the car was driven by my uncle until probably a year ago, who doesn't abuse his cars. it's 30k miles past due for service, and that seems to be the most glaring mechanical issue. Would a year of neglect be enough to severely shorten the lifespan of the vehicle?

Was the oil changed since the last service? :o 30K overdue on the timing belt is one thing but that would equate to about six oil changes if not done. Again, if you can find out how much oil is being added between 5k oil changes that should tell you a lot - or check condition of oil currently in car. If it's burning any oil, personally i'd pass. At 216K, mine used almost no oil between 5k oil changes.

FIX IT! abused ls400's are one of the saddest sights. It doesn't sound like there is that much wrong with it.

No to sound oppurtusitic or anything but if they want to junk it... i'll buy it.

i think i'm going to go for it. i die a little inside every time I see the '90 sitting in the driveway, i couldn't let my family's neglect kill a second one.

the rear main crankshaft seal, it's at LPO for $20, but is it something I'd be able to install myself if I'm competent enough to drop the transmission?

the oil isn't a problem i don't believe, noone in my family has the lack of sense to run more than 5k between changes.

various body damage, my sister rear-ended someone with it. big dent in rear side panel. due to bent hood the battery kept shorting so it would occasionally need to be jumped, and power steering cylinder is cracked and after it lost power steering it didn't move for 2 years.

in a word, abuse.

i think i'm going to go for it. i die a little inside every time I see the '90 sitting in the driveway, i couldn't let my family's neglect kill a second one.

the rear main crankshaft seal, it's at LPO for $20, but is it something I'd be able to install myself if I'm competent enough to drop the transmission?

the oil isn't a problem i don't believe, noone in my family has the lack of sense to run more than 5k between changes.

If you can drop a tranny, a rear main should be no trouble at all. i would keep a close eye out for chips in the flywheel teeth while in there as well, while not a common problem on the LS, if you are in there and there are moe than 2 teeth mising, change it, its expensive to do later.

disclaimer: this may be a stupid question

is the rear main crankshaft seal between the engine and transmission, or am I going to have to tear the crankshaft apart to get to it?

also, i found the seal on LPO, but what other seals/gaskets do I need to replace before putting it back together? Are the other gaskets reusable?

Yes it's between engine and transmission. Drop transmission, remove flywheel, and remove and install oil seal.

Disclaimer: haven't actually done this to mine, but you shouldn't need anything else to do the job except for a strong back. Be safe handling the transmission - awkward and heavy.

that's just glorious, another $800 saved. looks like I'll just have my mechanic do the heater core, oil, toe adjustment retainer, alignment and heater valve ($400) before I drive it the 150 miles home to finish myself. That's better than I had hoped.

Aside from the coolant expansion tank, driver's window motor/switch and alternator what else should I pull from the '90 while I'm at home? It'll probably be my last chance before it gets towed away; and as long as the wheels still roll I can do most of whatever I want to it...ecu? can I pull the boards behind the dash easily? any random electronic controls I can pull in case they fail in the future?

I believe the '90 had its 100k service done at 175,000 miles (when I was driving it) and has about 190,000 on it now. can I pull the belts/tensioners/idlers from the '90 and use them for a while, or would them sitting for 2 years (maybe it's only been 1 year...it was still driven for a while when it was running like *BLEEP*) make it worth buying new parts for peace of mind?

again, thanks for all the help everyone. I should be an official member of the LS400 club real soon.