Just Put Some New Wheels On, Love The Look

LS4hundy

So I recently put on some 20 inch wheels and I just got back from the coast(400mile round trip) and I had no power on the highway. It feels like my car went from the big strong athletic kid to the fat one that walks around the track in P.E.

Things I know: All fluids are good, just put a K&N air filter(anybody else have a hard time fitting the cover over the K&N air filter)in.

Im waiting to put around 1000 miles on the tires to see how they are wearing so maybe I dont need to pay for a wheel allignment. I know I need to balance the wheels cause the steering wheel was a bit shaky at around 65 mph.

Things I dont know.

If I do get an allignment, will I need to get another when I put the stocks back on for the winter/fall?

Does the balance or allignment affect the acceleration?

I lost about 30-40 mpg on this trip. I usually squeeze about 500 miles out of one tank in highway driving and I usually use fuel cleaner(berrymans, I think its called) Granted there are alot of hills and curves on 101.

Other than that, enjoy the pics and comments positve or negative are great. I know many of you guys are not into big rims. Enjoy the pics!!

post-25970-1174974086_thumb.jpgpost-25970-1174974200_thumb.jpg

So I recently put on some 20 inch wheels and I just got back from the coast(400mile round trip) and I had no power on the highway. It feels like my car went from the big strong athletic kid to the fat one that walks around the track in P.E.

Things I know: All fluids are good, just put a K&N air filter(anybody else have a hard time fitting the cover over the K&N air filter)in.

Im waiting to put around 1000 miles on the tires to see how they are wearing so maybe I dont need to pay for a wheel allignment. I know I need to balance the wheels cause the steering wheel was a bit shaky at around 65 mph.

Things I dont know.

If I do get an allignment, will I need to get another when I put the stocks back on for the winter/fall?

I lost about 30-40 mpg on this trip. I usually squeeze about 500 miles out of one tank in highway driving and I usually use fuel cleaner(berrymans, I think its called) Granted there are alot of hills and curves on 101.

Other than that, enjoy the pics and comments positve or negative are great. I know many of you guys are not into big rims. Enjoy the pics!!

If you do notice a difference, then i'm assuming those are not forged wheels. If they're not forged wheels then jumping from 16" to 20" , thats a huge jump.. you're adding alot of unsprung weight to your car, that also increases the rotational inertia. The side effects of increased rotational inertia?! Well the acceleration decreases, braking distance increases, gas mileage suffers and steering responsiveness goes out the window. Nice wheels by the way. :cheers:

I fully agree.

A couple of more points, though.

- How wide are your tires? Wider=more drag.

- How TALL are your complete wheels? Bigger total diameter means lower wheel rpm for a given actual speed. This causes your odometer to display too little => less odo miles per tank. It also reduces displayed speed vs real speed => you drive faster than you think, and get less mpg. It will also give the impression of slower acceleration, beacause of this.

- Do you inflate tires to the right pressure? These really low sidewalls need a surprisingly high pressure to operate correctly. Yes - riding comfort goes out the window, but that you knew would happen... :whistles: :)

/Alexander, who is not really into that kind of modifications. ;)

Ill double check the air pressure but Im pretty sure there good. Wow, I learned alot from the last 2 posts, thanks a buck. Luckily Im back in school in a smaller town so Im not on the highway that much but I atleast get to roll in style in the warmer months around town. Everybody here is rather rich and retired or a hippy(ashland oregon)!! So many subaru wagons and trucks, not many big sedans on 20's. Thanks again for the comments.

If you ever get tired of driving on tank wheels, pass them on to me. I'd love to drive a tank. Those are beauties.

And what are forged wheels falciott? I need to know. Thanks.

This looks like forgery to me.....

Things I dont know.

If you do notice a difference, then i'm assuming those are not forged wheels. If they're not forged wheels then jumping from 16" to 20" , thats a huge jump.. you're adding alot of unsprung weight to your car, that also increases the rotational inertia. The side effects of increased rotational inertia?! Well the acceleration decreases, braking distance increases, gas mileage suffers and steering responsiveness goes out the window. Nice wheels by the way.:cheers:

Def not forged wheels...I have the original reciept. I was actually very lucky in dealing with Ebay. I got them of a guy who doesnt sell rims and just happen to be selling these becasue he traded in his ls430 and no longer needed them.

• 1 year later...
I fully agree.

A couple of more points, though.

- How wide are your tires? Wider=more drag.

- How TALL are your complete wheels? Bigger total diameter means lower wheel rpm for a given actual speed. This causes your odometer to display too little => less odo miles per tank. It also reduces displayed speed vs real speed => you drive faster than you think, and get less mpg. It will also give the impression of slower acceleration, beacause of this.

- Do you inflate tires to the right pressure? These really low sidewalls need a surprisingly high pressure to operate correctly. Yes - riding comfort goes out the window, but that you knew would happen... :whistles: :)

/Alexander, who is not really into that kind of modifications. ;)

Yeah hundy, I think sweden hit the nail on the head...by going to 20's you essentially changed your rearend gearing. Makes the acceleration stink(its not an impression, its real) and throws your speedo off (reads lower speed than actual).

So, lets say you going 50 mph but your speedo says 45 mph. Your gas economy would appear to suffer but that is really not the case. Just the computer being fooled by the lower registered speed.

Its pretty simple really. You mess with the original design and strange things begin to happen. There is a price to pay for cool. B)

• 1 month later...

20's will make your car slower just because of the weight and size of the rims. So you want big rims and the same speed you had before. You need more horse power and TQ. I would do some minor exhaust work and an Air intake system. An LS400 won't get very loud form these things being done. Unless you put a large exhaust system on your car. I would increase size by .25 or 1/4' inch. It helps out a great deal and cut the resonators off. Add Hi Flow cats to. Hope this helps you out. I know it worked for me.