Passenger Door Handle

My husband and I found out something new. You know how when you unlock your car by just having your key on you, and you just grab the door handle and it unlocks only the driver's door? My husband pulled on the passenger door handle at the exact same time, and it seemed to break some code or something. Now, everytime I open my door without the key, the passenger side unlocks as well. So maybe for some of you who want that passenger door to unlock as well, get somebody to open it at the same time you do!!!

There has been a lot of security issues raised about Passive Entry systems for the exact "feature" you have described. Basically, someone that you don't know could enter the car from the passenger’s side while you are entering the driver’s side. :(

This should not be normal for a Passive Entry system. It might not be of concern to you based on where you live but I just though I would mention the potential disadvantage.

You might want to have the system inspected incase some sensor or antenna is malfunctioning. It might be easy to fix just by having the dealer disconnect the battery?

I have not had a chance to test out the range of my key FOB in and around my vehicle. In theory, the system should do a good job in determining if the key FOB is inside or outside of the vehicle. The apertures (windshield, door glass & rear window) tend to be a gray area for detection.

My 2 cents

I can see where it might be an issue, if the passenger door unlocked when the drivers door unlocked. Potential of an unwanted entry. But the likelyhood of a criminal knowing that the fob in the IS opened both doors...seems remote to me.

For us, I'd kind of like it if both doors unlocked at the same time. I'm guessing you can get the fob programmed to do that? I know you have a multitude of programmable functions with the fob. At some expense after your first programming, so I'm told.

A friend says the Audi fob is owner programmable....damn him!

It's unlikely that the perp would have the perfect timing to do this.

As for distance from the fob, it's only a few feet. You can test that by leaving the ignition in acc and walk slowly away while watching the dash. The screen will light up and say "key not detected" when you're out of range.

For us, I'd kind of like it if both doors unlocked at the same time.

In the new Infiniti G, you can set this option.

Do you want just the Driver's door to unlock, or all four, when the driver's handle is touched.

It's an option that can be set in the settings menu through the NAV display.

I'd be surprised if the IS doesn't have this same option, even if it's one that is set by the dealer.

Personally, I prefer the Driver's door only.

For us, I'd kind of like it if both doors unlocked at the same time.

In the new Infiniti G, you can set this option.

Do you want just the Driver's door to unlock, or all four, when the driver's handle is touched.

It an option that can be set in the settings menu through the NAV display.

I'd be surprised if the IS doesn't have this same option, even if it's one that is set by the dealer.

Personally, I prefer the Driver's door only.

Again, the security issue is only a concern for some people. In the case of “lambobaby1218” it appears that she is not given the option to open one or all four doors. It is a loss of control that could bother some people. However I hope that no one ever finds out the hard way. In this case, the potential intruder does not need to have perfect timing as the original post stated that door unlock automatically without the passenger handle being triggered.

The Lexus Personalized Settings allows some options when using the key fob buttons on the remote. Basically you can choose to open only the driver’s door or all four doors with either one or two presses of the unlock button. Having the option to choose is what is important.

In my case both my wife and I carry the key fobs when entering the vehicle. So we can both gain access without delay. The system can do a good job of detecting multiple key fobs.

It's unlikely that the perp would have the perfect timing to do this.

As for distance from the fob, it's only a few feet. You can test that by leaving the ignition in acc and walk slowly away while watching the dash. The screen will light up and say "key not detected" when you're out of range.

I was thinking mostly about the interior detection range in my original post. As many know, the exterior distance is listed in the owner’s manual. Some vehicles won't detect the key fob inside the vehicle if it is placed high on the dashboard or some other non-ideal locations. Again, most people could care less.

The ability to detect the key fob in different zones of the vehicle is the real test of the system’s abilities. I believe that this is what prevented you from opening the passenger door using the same fob that was detected for the ignition switch. I would bet that the door would have opened if another person tried using the second key fob. I plan to do some testing one of the days just out of curiosity. It will probably drive my wife nutz when I ask her for help. :chairshot:

I can see where it might be an issue, if the passenger door unlocked when the drivers door unlocked. Potential of an unwanted entry. But the likelyhood of a criminal knowing that the fob in the IS opened both doors...seems remote to me.

For us, I'd kind of like it if both doors unlocked at the same time. I'm guessing you can get the fob programmed to do that? I know you have a multitude of programmable functions with the fob. At some expense after your first programming, so I'm told.

I don't think you can use the fob to open both doors at the same time. You still have to press the unlock button twice, and I don't believe that is a reprogrammable option.

The passenger door is now set to open each time I open my door handle. I kinda like this, and am not as concerned about an intruder. I thought about bringing it up to the dealership when I take the car in, but I like this too much......

We resolved some related issues on another message board. One of the senior moderators locked himself in the trunk and determined the following:

The light goes out when the trunk is closed.

The hostage release handle glows brightly in the dark.

He was able to open the trunk by pulling the release handle.

:lol::lol::cheers::lol::lol:

We resolved some related issues on another message board. One of the senior moderators locked himself in the trunk and determined the following:

He locked himself in the trunk??? :huh:

Isn't that what the wife is for?

:D

Yes, this is a very good thing to know!!!

Yes, this is a very good thing to know!!!

Believe it or not, people were actually asking if the light went out when you close the lid. :D

He locked himself in the trunk???

Isn't that what the wife is for?

WHAT? I'd never lock my wife in the trunk! Well, maybe sometimes. But it's good to know she could get out.

And you'd be glad she could get out, or else she'd kill you after tearing apart the car!!!!!!

I don't think you can use the fob to open both doors at the same time. You still have to press the unlock button twice, and I don't believe that is a reprogrammable option.

The passenger door is now set to open each time I open my door handle. I kinda like this, and am not as concerned about an intruder. I thought about bringing it up to the dealership when I take the car in, but I like this too much......

It is programable to open all doors when you touch either handle with the fob in your pocket. It was done when I took delivery, I think it was accomplished by holding down lock and unlock at the same time until it beeps

I didn't have any special settings done at the dealer. I have one fob and my fiance has the other. When I open the driver's door that's the only one that unlocks. If she gets to her door handle first the sensor will unlock all 4 doors. If I'm in the car with the ignition on her fob will not allow her to unlock the door...I must manually unlock it from inside the car.

Now if I could only lock my doors with the ignition on when I'm not in the car. I haven't been able to do this.

I didn't have any special settings done at the dealer. I have one fob and my fiance has the other. When I open the driver's door that's the only one that unlocks. If she gets to her door handle first the sensor will unlock all 4 doors. If I'm in the car with the ignition on her fob will not allow her to unlock the door...I must manually unlock it from inside the car.

Now if I could only lock my doors with the ignition on when I'm not in the car. I haven't been able to do this.

When you bought your car, it came with a little check list with questions like how long you want your headlights on for and stuff like that.

The dealer will make these settings for you, and the first one is free.

You didn't get this?

• 2 months later...

That has been the standard setting worldwide on 2nd generation ISs. Pull driver door with key opens only the driver door. Pull passenger door with key opens all four doors. However, it is programmable to do the same with both door handles.

Once the ignition is on, the external key detection is off. You do not get the mirror floor lights on even if a key is hold just next to the door. That why there is no way to lock/unlock the door(s) with the remote or the door handles.

Anyway, the basics key functions are in the more-than-an-inch-thick manual. :excl:

The only way I know of to lock the doors with ignition on is to use the internal locking switch. So anyone attempting to do it should

(1) get in the car,

(2) start engine,

(3) set the desirable temperature,

(4) open the driver door and window,

(5) get out,

(6) close the door with the window opened,

(7) keep the key fob inside the car with one hand through the window,

(8) press the "lock all doors" button on the inside of the driver door,

(9) pull the close window switch once to start the auto-window-closing action AND, at the same time, QUICKLY pull the hand out together with the key fob.

You cannot get back in the car with the remote! :chairshot: As mentioned above, the remote will not work with the ignition on. Neither will pulling any handle get you back in. If you happen to have a trained dog which can open the door from inside the car, it may help. The only other way to get back in is to use the mechanical key. Get that key out from your fob, carefully flip open the keyhole cover with the key, open the door with the metal key. I am not sure whether a warm (or cool with airconditioning in summer) car is worth all the trouble. <_<

If anyone was wondering, to unlock all door with the driver side handle, hold on both lock and unlock on the key fob until the car beeps. Now all doors will unlock with driver handle. To restore it just hold it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone tried my previously suggested method to lock an IS with the engine running and come with some improvements. The steps are revised

(1) get in the car,

(2) start engine,

(3) get the mechanical key out from the key fob; leave the key fob somewhere in the car (other than the grove box) and KEEP the mechanical key WITH the driver

(4) open the driver door and window,

(5) get out,

(6) close the door with the window opened,

(7) with a hand through the window, press the "lock all doors" button on the inside of the driver door,

(8) with a hand throuhg the window, pull the close window switch once to start the auto-window-closing action and quickly pull that hand out.

(9) if the hand got jammed, the window will automatically stop but the driver can still open the door with the mechanical key to get to the window switch.

Note: the mechanical key is the only way to get back in. This procedure has less risk of inadequate body movement coordination.

If you have less than two hands, NEVER try this!