2005 Es 330 - Watching Dvds?

Have an '05 ES 330 and am curious as to the ability to watch DVDs on the navigation screen.

I know in the center console where my arm rest there is a multi-disk CD Changer.

By opening the Nav screen, two slots are available - one for the map data, the other a DVD-ROM or perhaps just CD.

Everywhere I place a DVD to watch it does not work. I've had the vehicle in park and the parking brake on when I've tried.

Any suggestions? Is it possible the two slots are CD only and the MAP DATA doesn't read movie DVDs, just map data.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Have an '05 ES 330 and am curious as to the ability to watch DVDs on the navigation screen.

I know in the center console where my arm rest there is a multi-disk CD Changer.

By opening the Nav screen, two slots are available - one for the map data, the other a DVD-ROM or perhaps just CD.

Everywhere I place a DVD to watch it does not work. I've had the vehicle in park and the parking brake on when I've tried.

Any suggestions? Is it possible the two slots are CD only and the MAP DATA doesn't read movie DVDs, just map data.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

sorry no dvd player in the 05 es330. the map reader behind the flip down screen only plays dvd map. the consle 6 disc just a cd player. the lx470 has a 6 disc dvd cd changer in its console and the gx a single cd dvd player . the 07 es350 has a rear seat dvd player but sincew 2005 its illegal to play dvd movies on the front screen.

Thanks for the reply!

I was hoping there would be a way to modify the software that boots -- the software that runs the map info. Kind of like hacking into it and creating your own computer, thus be able to play DVDs from the DVD-ROM map data drive.

Any idea there... also maybe its possible to hook up another purchased dvd player to the screen??

As you can see, watching dvds on long trips is pretty important to me..

Let me know any thoughts,

Thanks!

Hmm... my searching might have answered my own question

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-models-..._rgb_toylex.asp

talks about a NTSC input..

yes it is ntsc compatible output of usa but the screen is still tapped in the trunk at the 10 pin video connector of external dvd map reader in the 2 pice lexus navigation systems(except es330 1 piece) so that eliminates its use in your 4th genration 2005 1 piece toyota type es330 headunit............................................................................ the 2007 es350 now is a 5th generation 2 piece and no longer uses a toyota navigation 1 peice unit like yours. . the 2007 es350 connection between screen and nav map reader unit is now digital so all these aftermarket 10 pin line tapping units from soundlinq ,vaitech ,navtool lextasy etc will no longer work. all these adapters for 2nd thru 4th genration dont work that well anyway................................................................................... why they dont just plug into the 6 pin blue video port on the back of every lexus nav screen is beyond my comprehension. why these companies want to put interferece on the nav video line doesnt make sense when every screen has a video input port. even the 2007 screens still have a 6 pin blue video input port even though the map reader to screen connection is now a digital 2 pin connector which was invented by sony. i think the screens were all getting burnt by those aftermaket gnet etc adapters as they are hooked to power which puts too much curerent to screen. so lexus had to make impossible to tap the rgb 10 pin connector anymore but left the 6 pin vidio input port.

post-1629-1176263459_thumb.jpgheres a lexus 6 disc changer plugged into a gs430 2 piece navigation system. it doesnt need any aftermarket adapters and it plugs into the 6 pin video port for movie picture to screen and to the 12 pin cd changer for factory sound not fm modulated like aftermarket units. plus it has touchscreen integrated controls not some tiny losable battery drained remote. click on picture to enlarge it.

• 5 months later...

yes it is ntsc compatible output of usa but the screen is still tapped in the trunk at the 10 pin video connector of external dvd map reader in the 2 pice lexus navigation systems(except es330 1 piece) so that eliminates its use in your 4th genration 2005 1 piece toyota type es330 headunit........................................................................

... the 2007 es350 now is a 5th generation 2 piece and no longer uses a toyota navigation 1 peice unit like yours. . the 2007 es350 connection between screen and nav map reader unit is now digital so all these aftermarket 10 pin line tapping units from soundlinq ,vaitech ,navtool lextasy etc will no longer work. all these adapters for 2nd thru 4th genration dont work that well anyway..........................................................................

........ why they dont just plug into the 6 pin blue video port on the back of every lexus nav screen is beyond my comprehension. why these companies want to put interferece on the nav video line doesnt make sense when every screen has a video input port. even the 2007 screens still have a 6 pin blue video input port even though the map reader to screen connection is now a digital 2 pin connector which was invented by sony. i think the screens were all getting burnt by those aftermaket gnet etc adapters as they are hooked to power which puts too much curerent to screen. so lexus had to make impossible to tap the rgb 10 pin connector anymore but left the 6 pin vidio input port.

post-1629-1176263459_thumb.jpgheres a lexus 6 disc changer plugged into a gs430 2 piece navigation system. it doesnt need any aftermarket adapters and it plugs into the 6 pin video port for movie picture to screen and to the 12 pin cd changer for factory sound not fm modulated like aftermarket units. plus it has touchscreen integrated controls not some tiny losable battery drained remote. click on picture to enlarge it.

PIONEERSUBY,

Bringing this back up again.. (its been awhile!). So are you saying if I get a external DVD player that can connect into the 6 pin video port I should have... and then also connect in the 12 pin port for sound.. then I should be ok. OR is the 6 pin and 12 pin only on 2 piece units and Im screwed as I have a 1 piece unit?

Thanks sir.. hopefully your still around and catch this new post

yes it is ntsc compatible output of usa but the screen is still tapped in the trunk at the 10 pin video connector of external dvd map reader in the 2 pice lexus navigation systems(except es330 1 piece) so that eliminates its use in your 4th genration 2005 1 piece toyota type es330 headunit........................................................................

... the 2007 es350 now is a 5th generation 2 piece and no longer uses a toyota navigation 1 peice unit like yours. . the 2007 es350 connection between screen and nav map reader unit is now digital so all these aftermarket 10 pin line tapping units from soundlinq ,vaitech ,navtool lextasy etc will no longer work. all these adapters for 2nd thru 4th genration dont work that well anyway..........................................................................

........ why they dont just plug into the 6 pin blue video port on the back of every lexus nav screen is beyond my comprehension. why these companies want to put interferece on the nav video line doesnt make sense when every screen has a video input port. even the 2007 screens still have a 6 pin blue video input port even though the map reader to screen connection is now a digital 2 pin connector which was invented by sony. i think the screens were all getting burnt by those aftermaket gnet etc adapters as they are hooked to power which puts too much curerent to screen. so lexus had to make impossible to tap the rgb 10 pin connector anymore but left the 6 pin vidio input port.

PIONEERSUBY,

Bringing this back up again.. (its been awhile!). So are you saying if I get a external DVD player that can connect into the 6 pin video port I should have... and then also connect in the 12 pin port for sound.. then I should be ok. OR is the 6 pin and 12 pin only on 2 piece units and Im screwed as I have a 1 piece unit?

PIONEERSUBY,

the blue 6 pin and small 12 pin ports are there on the es330 1 piece but lexus audio equipment engineers constantly change the correct wiring of the 6 pin plug just to keep you wondering why the harness that works on a lexus wont work on another model. the 12 pin port always has the same wiring for sound input but some models dont have power going to the changer out from the 12 pin port. the engineers are constantly changing how everything connects. for one example of constant change the 2005 2006 and 2007 mark levinson amps all have different connector ports. so nothing caN be stated as an absolute never changing fACT WHEN IT COMES TO HOOKING UP ANY LEXUS MADE AUDIO AND VIDEO UNITS.

• 7 years later...

Hallo, hope there's still someone in this topic. I have a 2002 is200 and need to know what is the white 6 pins plug on the nav ecu situated in the trunk. Today I tested and each time I press the off and map button on the nav remote controller it shows 3V signal on pins 6 and 1 alternatively and simoultaneously to the off pushing screen turns to black, but seems to be still operating . Nothing on 2-3-4-5 pins. May be it's for a rearview camera or dvd player?

Any help welcome

Thanks to all of you

Pietro