Car Shuts Off After Starting

sffans

Just got the 93 es300 running the shop had the back camshaft off about 1/4 a turn. Starts up now but as soon as it starts it shuts off. Anybody know what causes this? car has sat for about 4 years.

The big question is how was it stored 4 years ago?

If the fuel was not stabilized and left in the tank, thus also left in the fuel pump, fuel rail, and injectors, then it has most likely turned to varnish. Open the gas cap and take a whiff, or expel some fuel from the fuel rail. If there is a horrid smell (not traditional gas smell) but of really foul smelling gas then the fuel has turned. The entire system has to be cleaned and/or replaced depending on how thick the sediment and residue has become.

It could also be any number of things. Could be bad plugs, bad fuel pump, clogged injectors, faulty ignition parts, dirty or clogged air inlet tube (mouse nest perhaps), etc.

It takes three things to make a car run:

• fuel
  • air
  • spark

Your job is to figure out which one your engine is not getting.

steviej

4 years stored, WOW good luck....

Gasoline is bad for sure, injectors need cleaning aswell, hopefully it was stored dry, no fluids, you could have worn and or cracking seals. Where ever the fluids sat in contact with rubber you could have trouble...Hopefully it was lifted or you probably have warped tires, suspension issues, etc.. 4 years is a long time for a car to sit, hope you got it cheap...

I would first start by changing "all" the fluids and belts...Included tranny fluid...Extract the gasoline and put new 91 octane...Change spark plugs, check for leaks under the car, change all filters, air, fuel.... Clean throttle body, check battery, cap and rotor, etc...See if the car will hold an idle after all that... That's what I would do first....

Alright my 93 es300 car runs good now. Just for a few seconds though. Just had the timing belt replaced. I double checked it and it is on rite. When car is started, It runs for a few seconds then just shuts off. What could cause this? thanks

ok i put the air cleaner and maf back on and tried to start it. It just turned over no start. I unplugged the maf and it would start and then shut back off. Also when the maf is unplugged the check engine lite will come up with code 24. When the maf is plugged in i get no check engine light at all not even when the keys is turned on. I checked the codes with a jumper wire. im lost Thanks

sffans,

I have merged the same post and related replys about your car not starting that were initally part of your timing belt thread with this tread.

please try to keep your topics in specific threads or refrain from repeating the same question in a new thread. If you ask the same questions in two places you get confusion and chaos.

steviej

Sffans maybe you have different problem but this happened to a friend of mine whose car sat for a while.

The gasoline was really bad and the only way to get it to accept new gas was starting it and pressing gas, it would sputter. After like 10 minutes it would sputter more and you could see it was getting the new gas.

Eventually it started up!! Try that

Start it up and hold the gas. Also can try turning it on, then off, then on then off. That is supposed to make the fuel pump pump gas.

Hope it helps.

Ok I cleaned the iacv and it stays idling. But if I give it gas it will die. I also have the tps unplugged and the airflow meter. As soon as I plug them in it will die. Hey at least it is idling now. Anymore help would be appricated.

ok The car now idles. the only thing I have unplugged is the airflow meter. When I plug it in the car dies. Also when I give the car gas it will die. I can slowly give it gas, but i mean very slowly. Also if I put it in gear it dies. But it idles great. Almost there please help