Help! Cd Changer Error 4

boatdetective

Looks like this is a common problem. Does it mean the changer is kaput? (probable) The car is an '04 with 69K miles- so they will not honor warranty. The dealer said a reman changer will be $730 for the part alone. This is upsetting, as i doubt the reman will last that long. An aftermarket installer showed me that changing systems would be expensive and would alter the look of the dash considerably.

I'd appreciate any advice, as it looks like I'm gonna be into this for at least $1,000

Thanks folks!

Looks like this is a common problem. Does it mean the changer is kaput? (probable) The car is an '04 with 69K miles- so they will not honor warranty. The dealer said a reman changer will be $730 for the part alone. This is upsetting, as i doubt the reman will last that long. An aftermarket installer showed me that changing systems would be expensive and would alter the look of the dash considerably.

I'd appreciate any advice, as it looks like I'm gonna be into this for at least $1,000

Thanks folks!

buy a used one on ebay but you'll be taking a chance... an honest aftermarket installer can throw in an aftermarket changer using an FM modulator for a whole lot less... read about it on crutchfield.com at least with an aftermarket changer you'll be able to add MP3 capability at the trade off of having a seperate remote.

• 4 months later...

That is why I bought my platinum warranty, I have had five units all, with error code 3 & 4. I only use commercial CDs, not home burned copies, which is what Lexus tried to blame the failures on....

Fight them on it, there has been a lot of failures on these units.

• 2 weeks later...

Just encountered error 3 today. 6 months ago the unit was complaining about error 4, but the problem went away when i took all the cds out (had to turn the unit on and off a number of times to get the cds out) and reload the cds back in. Now the unit is complaining about error 3, so i did the same trick and got all the cds out, not sure what to do next. My car is not under warranty anymore.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, seems to be a problem with the RX330 changers, I was wondering if taking it to a stereo repair shop would be cheaper. Maybe it is something simple...I would try that before going to the dealer, unless it is covered....

Update:

I contacted the dealer and since I was only a little over the warranty period they were nice enough to replace the broken unit with a reman unit.

The customer relations manager that I dealt with said her lexus had the same problem and she replaced it with a reman unit and havn't had any problem since. The replacement unit and labor comes with a 12 month warranty, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.