New Toyo Tires, Review And Pics.

I have had these on my BMW X5 and they have been great. Handle well in dry, wet and solid in snow. Quiet and a good side wall for cornering.

Toyo Tires

They do not come in our size but there is a very close match with some extra width.

Toyo Proxie S/T 255/50/18 V rated, load 106, max pressure 50lbs.

SIZE Diameter Width Weight

OEM 235/55/18 27.9 9.5 29lbs

Toyo 255/50/18 28.3 10.2 34lbs

The difference in height is almost within normal tread wear.

With the Toyo's you would be 0.5% off so when you are going 60mph your speedo would read 59.7mph.

I have had them on for 300 miles and I love them. Much better handeling, flater in corners with more grip.

I am running them at 36 lbs. My wife says the 400h feels more like the X5 now! Trust me that is high praise since she does not notice anything car related. They have more road noise them the Michelins but not bad and well worth it if you are looking for a better performence, looks, more width, better in the rain (no hydroplaning like the Michelins) and no difference in gas mileage!

dsc00228-176_525.jpg

dsc00232-143_525.jpg

dsc00236-121_525.jpg

dsc00229-220_525.jpg

dsc00242-176_525.jpg

dsc00224-176_525.jpg

dsc00244-132_525.jpg

dsc00251-220_525.jpg

dsc00252-220_525.jpg

Hey AWESOME write up, really usefull.

Looks Really REALLY nice! Mega thumbs up.

I have similar size but in the GoodYear Responsedge and can't wait for the roads in my kneck of the woods to be free and clear of salt. Back in 1999 I had a Nissan Pathfinder SE and it came factory equipped with Toyo Transpath and there were nothing short of remarkable, hope they last and drive as well as the previous Toyo's I've owned.

Cheers,

MadloR

PS. Hey, I see someone else invested in the Lexus OEM mudguards. I think they are more a function of look and style than actually usefullness. What do you think?

Hey AWESOME write up, really usefull.

Looks Really REALLY nice! Mega thumbs up.

I have similar size but in the GoodYear Responsedge and can't wait for the roads in my kneck of the woods to be free and clear of salt. Back in 1999 I had a Nissan Pathfinder SE and it came factory equipped with Toyo Transpath and there were nothing short of remarkable, hope they last and drive as well as the previous Toyo's I've owned.

Cheers,

MadloR

PS. Hey, I see someone else invested in the Lexus OEM mudguards. I think they are more a function of look and style than actually usefullness. What do you think?

Agree on the mud flaps, they really do not do much.

Thanks for thr tumbs up I really love these tires! :cheers:

Toyo Tires

They do not come in our size but there is a very close match with some extra width.

With the Toyo's you would be 0.5% off so when you are going 60mph your speedo would read 59.7mph.

I have had them on for 300 miles and I love them. Much better handeling, flater in corners with more grip.

I am running them at 36 lbs. My wife says the 400h feels more like the X5 now! Trust me that is high praise since she does not notice anything car related. They have more road noise them the Michelins but not bad and well worth it if you are looking for a better performence, looks, more width, better in the rain (no hydroplaning like the Michelins) and no difference in gas mileage!

Those Toyo's look great. Makes the RX look like the performance machine that it is, rather than a luxury minivan.

Is it just me or do the 18" wheels look like they should have always had 255/50 tires on them?

When I look at the before and after pics it becomes clear that the sidewall on the OEM tires are going to get a lot of wear because when the car corners the tire will roll under the rim (which they kind of are already). With the 255/50's the sidewall is placed where is should be... between the rim and the road. Duh!

Here is the tire calculator that I used to compare the OEM to the 255/50

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

This compares better than the other +0 tire options that were discussed here before with only a slight change in the speedo reading. I guess we already have confirmation that the wider tread of the 255 doesn't rub even at the 55 profile size (larger dia).

The only con I can see is potentially lower mpg due to more rolling resistance and more weight (adds 20 lbs to the car).

Since these tires have max pressure of 50 (as opposed to 46 for the OEM) I would recommend adding a few pounds over where you would run the OEM tires. And since the OEM tire recommended pressure it too low already...

I would try: (32 OEM + 5 OEM correction + 4 255/50 size) = 41 psi COLD for these TOYOs

And then watch the wear for any sighs of over/under inflation.

Toyo Tires

Those Toyo's look great. Makes the RX look like the performance machine that it is, rather than a luxury minivan.

Is it just me or do the 18" wheels look like they should have always had 255/50 tires on them?

When I look at the before and after pics it becomes clear that the sidewall on the OEM tires are going to get a lot of wear because when the car corners the tire will roll under the rim (which they kind of are already). With the 255/50's the sidewall is placed where is should be... between the rim and the road. Duh!

This compares better than the other +0 tire options that were discussed here before with only a slight change in the speedo reading. I guess we already have confirmation that the wider tread of the 255 doesn't rub even at the 55 profile size (larger dia).

The only con I can see is potentially lower mpg due to more rolling resistance and more weight (adds 20 lbs to the car).

Since these tires have max pressure of 50 (as opposed to 46 for the OEM) I would recommend adding a few pounds over where you would run the OEM tires. And since the OEM tire recommended pressure it too low already...

I would try: (32 OEM + 5 OEM correction + 4 255/50 size) = 41 psi COLD for these TOYOs

I am at 36lbs and will try 40 this weekend. They look and feel so much better than the 235's. I have seen no decreace in mpg. This is based on 1 tank of gas. I did do a 18 mile loop to see how efficient I could be with this car and I have been getting better each time (24.5, 27, 28, 31mpg) but the last one was the best with the new Toyo's. This could also be the car is training me and the engine is still braking in.

I have had a set of Toyo proxies on my Miata for a few years now.

(this is a highly modified supercharged fun car)

I love these tires.

/Steve

Toyo Tires

I am at 36lbs and will try 40 this weekend. They look and feel so much better than the 235's. I have seen no decreace in mpg. This is based on 1 tank of gas. I did do a 18 mile loop to see how efficient I could be with this car and I have been getting better each time (24.5, 27, 28, 31mpg) but the last one was the best with the new Toyo's. This could also be the car is training me and the engine is still braking in.

Rey Bustos,L.A.,Lexus RX 400h owner here.... after seeing the pictures and reading about these tires,researching them...I ordered my own! Thanks for the info everyone and I am looking forward to having the TOYOs on my "Princess" next week. I think she'll look less like a princess but then that's a good thing!

I put Toyo on my Audi TT and had nothing but trouble with them. The tires ran fine, but they wore down quickly, at least the one that survived to 18K miles. Three other tires had problems with road hazards on NY metro area highways. I can't remember which tires they were, but three had road hazard problems in 14 months. The original OEM tires on same roads for 3 years didn't have problem and the Toyos were the same size and profile. I finally replaced all of them with another manufacturer's tire and had no more road hazard problems.

I put Toyo on my Audi TT and had nothing but trouble with them. The tires ran fine, but they wore down quickly, at least the one that survived to 18K miles. Three other tires had problems with road hazards on NY metro area highways. I can't remember which tires they were, but three had road hazard problems in 14 months. The original OEM tires on same roads for 3 years didn't have problem and the Toyos were the same size and profile. I finally replaced all of them with another manufacturer's tire and had no more road hazard problems.

It would help if you told us which Toyo tires you were running. Toyo maks a lot of different tires I would not want all of them. Like Michelins, I like some and hate others. So which toyo's?

I didn't know either except I reread the first post of this string and saw that it is written, "Toyo Proxes S/T". That's how I knew what to order. Oh, wait, you wrote that!....anyway, I did find 255/55 18" and I'll have them put on Thursday,4-5-07, and will keep everyone posted as to what I think about them through the first year. They better last longer than 13K miles as what was the case with the pathetic Good Year OEMs that came with my 400h. You're right though, Good Year makes some great tires for example, but the ones on many of our RXs weren't the good ones! Thanks for letting me in on the Toyos, I hear their Proxes S/T s are great! They cost $135 ea. Rey

BTW...when those tries are rotated...how do they keep the tire pattern facing the correct way? They are an arrow design so do they have to actually take the tire off the rim????? That just came to me...any answers? Was that a silly question? Rey Bustos, confused and bewildered in L.A...but aren't we all in LaLa Land?

I didn't know either except I reread the first post of this string and saw that it is written, "Toyo Proxes S/T". That's how I knew what to order. Oh, wait, you wrote that!....anyway, I did find 255/55 18" and I'll have them put on Thursday,4-5-07, and will keep everyone posted as to what I think about them through the first year. They better last longer than 13K miles as what was the case with the pathetic Good Year OEMs that came with my 400h. You're right though, Good Year makes some great tires for example, but the ones on many of our RXs weren't the good ones! Thanks for letting me in on the Toyos, I hear their Proxes S/T s are great! They cost $135 ea. Rey

Rey,

Just to make sure the size you want is 255/50/18 not 255/55/18. If you want your speedo to be correct.

BTW...when those tries are rotated...how do they keep the tire pattern facing the correct way? They are an arrow design so do they have to actually take the tire off the rim????? That just came to me...any answers? Was that a silly question? Rey Bustos, confused and bewildered in L.A...but aren't we all in LaLa Land?

This is a directional tire. You will have to lefts and to rights. They get balanced on the rim like any other tire and only get rotated front to back.

Hope this helps.

I can't find any comparisons between this TOYO and the Bridgestone's for things like handling, road noise, wet/dry traction, snow etc....

Are these performance tires (dry pavement only)? Are they long wearing or soft? The tread looks like it is not an all season tire so it would have poor to hazardous winter performance in snow and wet... is this true?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Bridgestone simply becasue I can comprare it to the the Goodyear and Michlen choices as well as others like Yoko and see that these Bridgestones are the winners, hands down.

Factory Michelin MXV4 235/55 VR18 Tread Wear 440

Section Width 9.5" Overall diameter 28.3 Rev's Per Mile 736

Factory GoodYear Eagle RS-A 235/55 VR18 Tread Wear 260

Section Width 9.5" Overall diameter 28.0 Rev's Per Mile 746

Plus Zero Option GoodYear ResponsEdge 255/55 VR18 Tread Wear 440

Section Width 10.4" Overall diameter 29.0 Rev's Per Mile 720

Plus Zero Option Toyo Proxes S/T 255/50/R18 Tread Wear 420

Section Width 10.2" Overall diameter 27.9 Rev's Per Mile 744

Of course there are many brands of tires, and in all price ranges. 235/55-18 and 255/50-18 are not the most popular sizes available in the marketplace. The available alternate plus zero size 255/55-18 has considerably more choices and the offset in the overall Rev's per mile are completely within spec as an available choice. For example, in the case of the Eagle ResponsEdge the difference travelling at 35mph would be less than +1mph difference. And the true speed travellling at 65mph would be less than +1.5mph, as well as travelling at 80mph the difference would be less than +2mph. Of course every manufacturer of tire produces identical tire sizes, but not necessarily to a set specific size or dimension.

More importantly, the bigger difference would be in what you expect from your next set of replacement tires. Ride quality, or raw handling, or four season performance, or winter and inclement weather... it really depends on what you value. So in choosing a tire, you should consider all factors as well, the one that makes the biggest difference, the seat of your pants driving.

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. Skyfish400h, here ya go... Toyo Proxes S/T

I can't find any comparisons between this TOYO and the Bridgestone's for things like handling, road noise, wet/dry traction, snow etc....

Are these performance tires (dry pavement only)? Are they long wearing or soft? The tread looks like it is not an all season tire so it would have poor to hazardous winter performance in snow and wet... is this true?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Bridgestone simply becasue I can comprare it to the the Goodyear and Michlen choices as well as others like Yoko and see that these Bridgestones are the winners, hands down.

They are all season performance tires!

This is one of the reasons why I chose the Bridgestones:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...;speed_rating=Y

Every review by owners of SUVs were very positive about them. Even owners of RX330s were very impressed. I'm sure the Toyos are good tires as well; it's just that with so much positive feedback on the Bridgestones (and an incredible price of $600/4)m I just couldn't pass them up.

I agree with the fact that the Bridgestones are great and I almost went that way but I am a SoCal guy and we can be a little superficial out here in LaLa Land so I not only heard great things about the Toyo S/T Proxes, but they do look really great!!! That's what did it for me to be honest,but I wouldn't have gotten them if they weren't great as well. They are supposed to be terrific as far as ride,they are quiet,and they look more agressive and I loved the pictures that jditom posted. I didn't read about the winter aspects of the tire so I can't answer that but since I have never seen snow on the ground except one time when I visited Vermont, I didn't pay attention to that aspect, L.A. is not a weather problem area! Oh, and they are less expensive at$135ea., I have seen them for $127.

OK, here is a website that has reviews on all the tires under consideration here

www.1010tires.com

I want to point out that the RX rim seems to have been sized for the OEM sized tire, but is still on the lower side of the middle of the range. By going to the wider tire, the factory rims are now at the extreme low end of the range. For what thats' worth.

400h rim size: 18 x 7.0

tire | rim width | as measured

235/55 R18 | 6.5"-8.5" | 7.5"

255/50 R18 | 7"-9" | 8"

Here is a summary of the three top scoring tires in these sizes, I've excluded speed ratings lower than V and any tire that did not have a winter or all-season design. Also eliminated tires that scored lower than the Bridgestone's

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55 R18 $190

Dry: 4.6 Wet: 4.1 Snow: 2.8 Handling: 4.2 Comfort: 4.5 Noise: 4.2 Treadwear: 4 17 reviews 4.2

Hankook Ventus ST RH06 235/55 R18 $159

Dry: 4.8 Wet: 4.7 Snow: 3.7 Handling: 4.7 Comfort: 4.7 Noise: 4.7 Treadwear: 4.6 78 reviews 4.6

Toyo Proxes S/T 255/50 R18 $156

Dry: 4.7 Wet: 4.2 Snow: 3 Handling: 4.5 Comfort: 4.4 Noise: 4.3 Treadwear: 4.1 124 reviews 4.3

I think the winner here is the Hankook brand (which I've never heard of) but seems to provide the best handling without scaraficing ride comfort and noise to any great degree.

These should be available from Discount Tire or America's Tire (same owning company, Discount has better cust service IMHO) but are not on their webpage. Probably have to order them... I'll let you know.

BTW for the athetically sensitive, they have a tread pattern that looks even better than the Toyo's, I've attached a pic so you can see them.

post-17497-1175232706_thumb.jpg

OK, here is a website that has reviews on all the tires under consideration here

www.1010tires.com

I want to point out that the RX rim seems to have been sized for the OEM sized tire, but is still on the lower side of the middle of the range. By going to the wider tire, the factory rims are now at the extreme low end of the range. For what thats' worth.

400h rim size: 18 x 7.0

tire | rim width | as measured

235/55 R18 | 6.5"-8.5" | 7.5"

255/50 R18 | 7"-9" | 8"

Here is a summary of the three top scoring tires in these sizes, I've excluded speed ratings lower than V and any tire that did not have a winter or all-season design. Also eliminated tires that scored lower than the Bridgestone's

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55 R18 $190

Dry: 4.6 Wet: 4.1 Snow: 2.8 Handling: 4.2 Comfort: 4.5 Noise: 4.2 Treadwear: 4 17 reviews 4.2

Hankook Ventus ST RH06 235/55 R18 $159

Dry: 4.8 Wet: 4.7 Snow: 3.7 Handling: 4.7 Comfort: 4.7 Noise: 4.7 Treadwear: 4.6 78 reviews 4.6

Toyo Proxes S/T 255/50 R18 $156

Dry: 4.7 Wet: 4.2 Snow: 3 Handling: 4.5 Comfort: 4.4 Noise: 4.3 Treadwear: 4.1 124 reviews 4.3

I think the winner here is the Hankook brand (which I've never heard of) but seems to provide the best handling without scaraficing ride comfort and noise to any great degree.

These should be available from Discount Tire or America's Tire (same owning company, Discount has better cust service IMHO) but are not on their webpage. Probably have to order them... I'll let you know.

BTW for the athetically sensitive, they have a tread pattern that looks even better than the Toyo's, I've attached a pic so you can see them.

Excelllent data! Now factor in that the Toyo's are 255 and about (20 mm) about 1 inch wider that the others.

They will handle better trust me :cheers:

Excelllent data! Now factor in that the Toyo's are 255 and about 1/2 inch wider that the others.

I don't know. Seems if you are comparing tires within the same class you should be able to compare the numbers directly. Both the Toyo's and the Bridgestone's are in the Light Truck catagory where the Hankook are in the all season SUV catagory. Arguably this would put them into steeper competions within their class and the Hankook still have higher numbers. Hmm...

Wanna race? :ph34r:

One little note, just remember that the RX 400h is an SUV, yes, but it is a Grand Touring Luxury SUV. Lexus did opt to equip the 400h with Grand Touring All Season Tires, for the obvious reasons.

So if you are leaning more and more towards the performance side, you will have to be willing to sacrefice on the Grand Touring side. By that, I mean a harsher less forgiving daily driver, more cabin noise and perhaps less foul weather performance, and possibly much less durability. Also, tires that offer much better road stick, tend to also suffer from the effects of grooved or worn roads, hence the feeling that the vehicle wants to guide and trek the direction of the road irregularities more. They also tend to cost more and have a shorter shelf life. By that, manufactures faze them out quicker due to marketing reasons, or due to newer and better technologies.

On the plus side you should benefit with better dry weather handling, and much sharper and responsive steering inputs. Also, performance tires esthetically look alot better than most of there Grand Touring counterparts.

Either way you choose or go, they have got to be way better than the Factory Good Years.

Cheers,

MadloR

Excelllent data! Now factor in that the Toyo's are 255 and about 1/2 inch wider that the others.

I don't know. Seems if you are comparing tires within the same class you should be able to compare the numbers directly. Both the Toyo's and the Bridgestone's are in the Light Truck catagory where the Hankook are in the all season SUV catagory. Arguably this would put them into steeper competions within their class and the Hankook still have higher numbers. Hmm...

Wanna race? :ph34r:

What is the difference between light truck and SUV? Nothing! Marketing.

From Toyo:

The Proxes S/T™ is a high performance tire that delivers a powerful combination of superb handling, confident all-season performance and a smooth, stable ride. The H, V, W and Y speed-rated Proxes S/T offers plus-sizing opportunities on pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and Original Equipment fitments on high performance crossover SUVs.

Do the Hankook's come in a 255 width? Someone want to buy them and report back so we can get some real feedback this tire on our 400?

Toyo's on now for 500 miles on the 400h and they have transformed this SUV for me. This tire may not be for everyone but if you want a wider, better handeling, stiffer, better looking tire with same mpg go for it.:cheers:

PS: I had Toyo Proxie ST's on my X5 for 15,000 miles which I drove every day like I stole it! They were about 40% worn before I sold it.

Actually, I can say the same thing about the Bridgestones - MUCH better handling compared to the OEM tires. Another thing to consider is unsprung weight. The lighter the components, the better the ride. For this reason, I shy away from heavier wheels and/or tires.

Dave

Actually, I can say the same thing about the Bridgestones - MUCH better handling compared to the OEM tires. Another thing to consider is unsprung weight. The lighter the components, the better the ride. For this reason, I shy away from heavier wheels and/or tires.

Dave

Good point. I run Bridgestones on my other 2 rigs and I have a pair of B Blizzaks. They make great tires.

If I could find them in the 255/50/18 size I would have considered them but the Toyo's seem to be it.

They are all better than OEM's! :cheers: