Satellite Radio Installation

I just finished installing a Jensen Sirius Satellite radio in my 2002 GS300.

I did not use either a FM modulator or a cassette adapter which are the usual ways of adding a sat radio to an existing (non-sat ready) audio system. Instead, I broke into the wiring harness at the audio amplifier input and installed a new sat radio input. The audio amp input is now switched between AM/FM and sat radio by a relay. The relay is actvated whenever the sat radio is switched on. All the audio controls (treble, bass, balance, etc.) work just as in the AM/FM mode. I used blocking capacitors in the sat radio radio output because the factory AM/FM output is differential but the sat radio output is low side ground.

Is a that worth it? Probably not but I am a nitpicker and the sound is better than the cassette adaptor I used temporarily.

I don't recommend this approach unless you have some facility for electronics.

I live in the remote mountains of west, were there is only one daytime radio station available, and it play country or religon. The Sirius is great, a good selection of music and no commercials.

If any one is interested in the details. Just ask.

Larry

Hi Tom

On the 2002 GS300 the audio amp is located behind and to the right of the glove compartment. To access it first remove the panel above the passenger foot compartment, it is held in with clips. Then remove the glove compartment. I is held in by: 1) three screws along the upper lip of of the compartment, 2) Two bolts at the lower left and right of the compartment and 3) three clips behind the top of the compartment.

I have no idea if the ES is similiar, but I would not be suprised if it was.

Larry

Hi again Tom

A little more info. On the ES250 the Amp is located below the radio in the center console. Go the www.carstereohelp.com and follow the links to car stereo removal, lexus.

The ES 250 was a different car. I think it was essentially a Toyota Cressida.

You might email the carstereohelp web site for help.

Larry

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I just finished installing a Jensen Sirius Satellite radio in my 2002 GS300.

I did not use either a FM modulator or a cassette adapter which are the usual ways of adding a sat radio to an existing (non-sat ready) audio system. Instead, I broke into the wiring harness at the audio amplifier input and installed a new sat radio input. The audio amp input is now switched between AM/FM and sat radio by a relay. The relay is actvated whenever the sat radio is switched on. All the audio controls (treble, bass, balance, etc.) work just as in the AM/FM mode. I used blocking capacitors in the sat radio radio output because the factory AM/FM output is differential but the sat radio output is low side ground.

Is a that worth it? Probably not but I am a nitpicker and the sound is better than the cassette adaptor I used temporarily.

I don't recommend this approach unless you have some facility for electronics.

I live in the remote mountains of west, were there is only one daytime radio station available, and it play country or religon. The Sirius is great, a good selection of music and no commercials.

If any one is interested in the details. Just ask.

Larry

Wow! What a great idea. Could you post some more detailed information. Color codes, products used. etc...

• 2 weeks later...

One quick question...how do you control the satelite radio? Do the song titles and channel listings come up where the normal display is? Do the controls for the CD changer also control the satelite? Or are you just using what would be the equivalent to an FM modulator??

• 1 month later...

I also do not like "fm modulated" or "cassette adapted" sound so I decided to try to hardwire my mp3 players to my sc400. I tapped into the CDR-, CDR+, CDL- & CDL+ wires from my CD changer (which does not work anyway) made an RCA connection attached mp3 player to the RCA with a minipin adapter. Since the mp3 players have their own controls all I needed was for the CD player to let the signal through.

So far it worked, to a point, I did get a constant signal from two mp3 players. I was able to leave the door of the CD changer open (so it would not try to change cds) and was still able to activate the cd player from the dashboard controls and keep the music playing through the system from the mp3. However, the signal quality needs improving. Although the HotZip mp3 sounded better than the iPod. The volume on the signal does not seem to be strong enough and if you turn the volume controls all the way up the sound gets distorted. So my next step is to figure out how to get a stronger signal. It seems that you have solved that problem with the blocking capacitors. Can you tell me what these are and a how they work (if it is not too much trouble).

One thing I am going to do tommorrow is to see if the impedence is the same between all of the device outputs. I have a friend with a fluke tester which I hope will let me measure the signals.

Any advice will be appreciated

• 6 months later...

Tom, please help....I just spent $350 to have an XM radio installed in my car....not knowing any better, I get it back installed via an FM Modulator....I'm very unsatisfied mainly b/c the volume level just isn't there...it maxes out at a level that just doesn't cut it....my regular radio and CD player are much, much louder, also the sound quality doesnt seem up to par either (my previous car, an acura, came with XM from the factory)..the....are you having the same 'low volume' issue that I have?

Anyway, after numerous phone calls I learn about the possibility of an XM install using RCA connections and am told I need "an adapter" b/c my GS430 radio does not have that capability....then I came across your post.

I'm thinking that there is no adapter.....can you give me more details and specifics on how you did your installation??...enough information that my buddy (and electrical engineer) would know what you are talking about and maybe be able to do the same type of install for me.

if its too much to put into writing I understand...

• 10 months later...

Larry, Sounds like you did what I am wanting to do to my '98 LS (w/Pioneer).

I just got a Sirius Starmate w/ a level controlable line out. FM modulated audio quality has been found wanting.

My first thought was to break in at the cd changer input on the head unit w/ some sort of mutually exclusive switch.

I am open to any suggestions.

How do you control volume, base, etc. if you broke in after the head unit?

Do you have any wiring codes for the factory '98 Pioneer?

the_Hedge

This may be too late for everyone's hard work, but there is now an aftermarket solution for Lexus owners. The details on this site will explain it all.

www.vaistech.com

David :cries: