Sources Of Rattles And Known Working Cures.

OK, I been through the front Dash fix, in fact there is a service bulletin to fix that annoying "tick-tick". You would think that a mid year 06 production they would of incorporated the fix at the factory given that the service bulletin was issued back in Oct 05. Anyhoot, all the dealers seem to know about this type of rattle and it involves disassembly of the front dash so as to line the front air defroster vent with some felt so that when the part sits up against the underside of the front dash opening the two pieces do not "tick-tick" under load.

2nd fix for rattle. Drivers seat, you might hear a occasional ticking or cracking sound while driving. Sounds like its coming from the footwell of the rear passenger seat on the drivers side. Fix for that is to place 4 little felt (I use the 1/2" round, soft part of the hook and loop ends only) pads at the four corners for the rear of the front drivers seat map pocket.

3rd fix for rattles. I got upset when the dealer said the rear cargo creak and rattle was due to a mis-aligned cargo door hatch (happy when they said that was the cure, not happy after the fact), damn, how did that sucker leave the factory like that. Anyhoot, it didn't quiet down the rattles completely. It may have been one of many sources for rattles, but in the symphony of creaks, rattles, and ticks, who could tell. Have the dealer none the less check and adjust the rear cargo door. Then, open both floor storage bins, and remove the plastic shells for each of the three doors. Then, underline each plastic bin on the bottom side (fwiw, the felt strips I used were once again the soft part of the hook and loop strips) that lies between the bottom of the plastic and the cargo floor. I laid down strips across all the lower portions of the bottom "chassis" of the plastic storage bins. Then I laid some strategic strips (fwiw, the felt strips I used were once again the soft part of the hook and loop strips) as well as some of the "hook" part of the hook and loop tape. The reason for this is to take up some of the slack that exist between the spring loaded doors and the bottom of the plastic bins. As well the male portion of the hook and loop tape actually sticks the to underside of the door bins which happen to be the factory fuzzy carpeting. Don't use too much, otherwise when you press the release mechanism for the pop up storage bin it won't pop lol. Also, there are three tools in the storage area that need some "stuffing", iow I put some material around the small socket used to lower the spare tire, as well as a couple of the extension tools and the prop used to hold up the bigger storage bin door.

One last thing, get some bubble wrap and put some under the main tool storage bin on the underneath side, since there are two components for the vehicle mounted there that are made of stamped aluminum that resonate and "ping" like a golf club hitting a ball. The bubble wrap goes a long way as a damper, hence no more resonating. My cargo area is now quiet.

4th fix for rattle. The spare tire shell that sits against the spare tire, I lined around the 10 little openings some female hook and loop tape to the underside of the plastic shell, hence it is not visible. Also, where the twist off circular shell sits up against the main plastic shell, I lined that as well with 4 pieces of female hook and loop tape to the 4 spots that lock in to the main plastic shell. Spare tire shell is now quiet.

5th fix for rattle. The exhaust heat shield rattles. Take it to the dealer and have them tighten, replace or whatever it is they do to remove this annoying rattle. The heat shield is underneath the vehicle directly below the front passenger and rear passenger seat, hence it sounds like an interior rattle when in fact it is an outside source for noise.

6th fix for rattle. Have the dealer replace some exhaust bushing with newer rubber exhaust clamps. They became so loose that the rear muffler would bang against the exhaust shield found between the rear muffler and the spare tire. Fixed the clanging noise.

Anybody else care to share, or require any more specific info on what I used or how I fixed those rattles let me know...

Cheers,

MadloR

Well guys- I'll be honest with you-this car really suck for what it is!!! Rattles????-Give me a break-any car over 40k mark shouldn't have any. My 4 y.o BMW that I traded in not only had no rattles, tires were in perfect condition (try to make 40 k on factory installed tires with Lexus). And I was able to see my average speed, miles left before tank was empty and bunch of other things. Not only that-I didn't have to remember to turn off driver and passenger lights so they will run down my battery- and in this case I wouldn't have to go to dealer to recalibrate hybrid system when it happens. My list of disappointments is way longer than this-but I guys I have to start a new subject ;)

I have always been of the belief, opinions (aka, complaining) are like belly buttons, everybody has one. But to offer "opinion" and solutions, well, that's priceless!

Thread theft alert....

hehe

MadloR

P.S. no car I have ever owned has been rattle free, except my 300E back in 1990 but that vehicle was in a class of its own. Boring as heck to drive, but it was a true tank. Ran it till 389,000 km

Cheers,

MadloR

Well I must say that I have managed to work out all of my shakes, rattles and particular rattles. The latest one, and the loudest was due to an act of god. Two weeks ago I brought my vehicle in to cure some rattles that were throughout the interior cabin. One was so bad, that it gave off a "ventriliquist" like rattle. You swore you heard it from inside the cabin while driving, yet there was none to be found at a standstill and would only occasionally reveal itself when closing the door. Hence, the ventriliquist like rattle, it was coming from underneath the vehicle and through the cabin floor. As it turns out a pebble was found inside the spare tire and the enclosure. Not visible to the eye and not found in the location of the twist off cover. Bravo to the Lexus mechanic who after initially diagnosing the rattle to be the muffler - spare tire heat shield, I told him to check again and duplicated the noise for him by banging on the rear passenger tire with my fist.

I'm glad to say that finally this Lexus RX 400h can now roll in peace and I am no longer embarrased (for the times I take it out with some friends / families) as I can now drive squeek, rattle and clang free.

Cheers

MadloR

P.S. If anybody else has experience "other" sources for noises and rattles not outlined above, please share them with me.

MadMan no humor intended, but what type of roads do you generally drive on? Smooth paved, potholes, dirt?

I'm just mystified as to why I have no rattles whatsoever, other than pure luck, and you have a laundry list of same.

Tom

I purchased this vehicle from Texas. I live and drive in pothole capital of North America, Montreal. I have no clue as to how this pebble found it's way inside the spare tire well. I do not drive off road, but we do have the spring season thaw coming into its own and the roads are littered with potholes, cracks galore, recessed undulations, and speed bumps (where the road surface has swollen up). Yesterday I did install my summer tires (255/55-18 GoodYear ResponsEdge) and boy-oh-boy what a difference in ride to the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Much quieter and smoother, like sucking up alot of the road imperfections and not bringing that level of noise and discomfort to the passenger cabin (must be the carbon fibre technology used in the sidewall). Pictures and report coming soon :)

MadloR

Anyone know how to remove the panels on the RX400 rear tailgate? In the Do It Yourself portion of the manual, it doesn't specify a particular procedure, other than disconnecting the small light located in the top panel. Do I just pull? When I peel back a corner and look inside with a drop light, I can see the push connectors that are holding it on and the plastic brackets that are inserted into them which have slots in them to accept the push connectors.

Thanks

Anyone know how to remove the panels on the RX400 rear tailgate? In the Do It Yourself portion of the manual, it doesn't specify a particular procedure, other than disconnecting the small light located in the top panel. Do I just pull? When I peel back a corner and look inside with a drop light, I can see the push connectors that are holding it on and the plastic brackets that are inserted into them which have slots in them to accept the push connectors.

Thanks

it is very simple, it is only pushed in!

i did a documentation for a change to increase the reversing lights. the first picture shows how to push. make sure that the plastic cover is warm and not to cold when removing it. plastic splinters easily if to cold.

have a look here

Removing bulb cover from reversing light

Thanks

it is very simple, it is only pushed in!

i did a documentation for a change to increase the reversing lights. the first picture shows how to push. make sure that the plastic cover is warm and not to cold when removing it. plastic splinters easily if to cold.

have a look here

Removing bulb cover from reversing light

Thank You Very Much!

Interesting download site for the attachment...

Jim