Towing

Piranha

im thinking of getting a boat for fishing. the max i can tow with my 1995 is 2000lbs. my boat will most likely weigh 1500-1700lbs with the trailer and motor. no problem with weight. i need to get a hitch. anyone know where i can get a cheap reliable trailer hitch installed?

the 02 manual says 2000 lbs, too. I personally wouldn't do it.

If you do it, think about an additional tranny cooler and an oil cooler for the increase heat build up due to the added stress.

Dont' forget to figure in the weight of gas and gear to the total weight (boat, motor, and trailer). Gas is about 6.5 lbs/gallon.

Keep your tongue weight under 200 lbs.

If the car has a sunroof, keep in mind this decreases the cars structural integrity, but the manual does say towing is considered.

good luck and stay in the slow lane when towing cause you will have definately maxed out you power availability.

steviej

My opinion is also don't do it, but I was going to keep quiet lol.

You also have to keep in mind that the ES is a unibody vehicle, not a full frame like an SUV or a truck, or even a Lincoln Town Car. When you tow with one of these vehicles the stress is spread out all through the frame. A car like an ES is not good for towing because the force is regulated to the area of the unit body the towing occurs from, the direct rear.

The car's just not designed for it. I'd reccomend that if you forsee towing as an important need you consider getting into another vehicle. Even an RX300 is no good for towing because its a unitbody.

sorry to disrupt your thread, piranah.

i have some questions regarding wind noise for skperformance, so please disregard my posting in realtion to the towing topic.

skperformance -- i've found some threads regarding the wind noise trouble with your es300. i bought silicone dressing in a bottle instead of the tire endurance stuff for the rubber around my windows. do you think the tire endurance stuff is much different somehow from what i've purchased?

also, you mentioned realigning the window yourself. can you give me some insight into how difficult this might be?

thanks so much. i go nuts everytime i am on the highway and the wind starts rushing.

Amanda,

You can PM people by cliking "PM" at the lower left of the person you want to send a Personal Message...but it's cool to post when you don't know, so fergettaboutit! :)

Unless you are mechanically gifted, I would not attempt to adjust your windows yourself. You can break clips etc. and the Lexus quality may not be the same when your finished.

If you choose to do it, then you'll need to remove all the visible clips around the door then slide a thin plastic or metal object (butter knife might work) just under the front side of your electric window switch to pop out the electric panel. You'll put the knife just in front of the wood, not the switch itself. After you get that off w/out breaking it (good luck) you'll see a large gold screw that you'll need to remove. From there, you'll just need to pull real hard all around the outer perimeter of the door panel to break free all the pressure clips that hold the door panel on. Then just wiggle up the panel back and forth until it comes off.

I've never done this part.....from there you should see some screws or bolts that adjust the sway of your window...play with them until you get the desired result.

Also, yes tire dressing of any kind will work...some better than others. Also some leave more residue than others.

Back to the post..........

You can find a hitch like I did for my car...It's a drawtight hidden hitch for right around $100 shipped.

DSC00681.JPG

go here to buy the hitch.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search...+ES300&GO=GO%21

I have been towing a trailer with my 1994 ES300 for many years & over 75,000 miles without any problem, the trailer and contents weigh close to the 2000 maximum. The gas milegae sucks when towing.

Regards

David