Once Again - Rpm Range

EAGLE33

My 96 needed a new EGR pipe. So $600 later I'm back on the road and it does sound like LS again. Of course they had to pull tranny for that, and now I'm either imagine things or not.....My RPM is at 2K driving 60MPH, and around 2.4K driving 80MPH. Is this normal ? It seems like it was less at 60 before....but may be I'm just paying closer attention to it then before. Somehow it just doesn't seem like its going to overdrive.

Another thing :( guy who changed my transmission oil put it Dexron III, and got me really mad that it was not T-IV. In any case he told me that this car is ok with it and made me do some research. What I found out...he is right. In all the documents, including TIS and service/owner manuals it says that you can use T-II which is now T-IV or Dexron II or III.

Whats your thoughts about above issues? I still have to change timing belt and spark plugs very soon.

Your rpms are in line with what I see in my car (I think 80mph might be a few more rpms than that. Maybe it's 2600, but I can't remember exactly.). I wouldn't worry about the tranny fluid either. It's a shame they told you they had to remove the tranny though. Does it make life easier? Sure. But, you don't have to do it. My local Lexus dealer didn't even try to pull that gimmick on me, and had I not fixed the egr pipe myself, I would have paid them their fair price of $450 (includes parts and labor) to have the pipe replaced.

Well, living in California, I have to pay the price for it. I went to a lot of different shops before I did it, and that was the best price I found. By the way my old EGR was broken in half already. My buddy did in in NY for his 97 LS for $70 labor + $87 part. :chairshot:

You are right, at 80Mph it is 2600. So it means I'm fine. At least I'm glad to get this out of my system :cheers: