Seat Belt Buckle Plastic Cracked. Unsafe? Anyone Else?

My '92 ES300 seat belt buckle has developed a crack in the plastic. I'm talking about the male piece that the belt loops through (see linked photo). And yes it's cracked all the way through. I'm not sure if it's unsafe; Prudence says to replace the whole thing.

Wishful thinking: is this something the dealer would replace, pro bono, as a defective safety item?

Has anyone else seen this? Tip: go look! I probably didn't notice it for a long time.

lexusbelt.jpg

Yep, its metal inside.

I would replace the belts though, seat belts only retain their maximum stregnth for a number of years. if it concerns you replace them, won't cost much.

Wishful thinking: is this something the dealer would replace, pro bono, as a defective safety item?

No, the dealers not going to (nor should they) do anything pro bono on a 15 year old car.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here are some clarifying points and things I've learned since:

- the plastic is cracked all the way through, there is no metal in that piece

- it only effects the "guide slot", not the business part of the buckle that the strap loops around

- I found an online price of $100 for new belts, sold only by the pair (not cheap in my book)

- it's not unheard of for dealers to replace defective mandatory safety equipment

But, now that I've thought a little harder about the physics of it, I agree that the "guide slot" is not important, safety-wise. If it were, it wouldn't be solid plastic! The way I figure, when the retractor locks, all three positions are held solid, with or without the guide slot. So what is it for? I can think of a couple minor reasons for it: it keeps the buckle from flopping around when not in use, it holds it at approximately the right position along the belt from use to use, and it keeps it in the right orientation for buckling up. But there's one other thing it does: it helps maintain tension in the lap portion of the belt. And that could be marginally safety-related.

I feel safer now, but I still might replace it (them).

isn't there metal under that plastic?

The buckle on my '92 cracked when my dimwit relative slammed the car door on the belt - twice!

The piece circled in yellow broke right off.

lexusbelt.bmp

There was no metal underneath that part, just the plastic. I just smoothed the jagged broken ends with a dremel. The rest of the buckle did have a very strong - looking metal substructure under the plastic covering. Dealer wanted a fortune to replace the entire belts, retractor, bolts - everything. I just left it as it was, it looked safe to me.

Luckily I never had the chance to find out for sure.

tck...

Ths article was written about seat belts for a Toyota Tacoma, but it can be applied to all cars.

While we all acknowledge that seat belts are perhaps the single most important safety device ever developed for the automobile, a significant number of people don’t wear them. Those that do tend to feel safe. However, there may be a risk within your seatbelt if it is wearing out, in which case you will have a false sense of security.

Just like anything else on a car, seat belts require periodic inspection and maintenance, although it is very simple. Part of the risk of seat belt failure comes from the actual strap fraying and failing.

If you periodically clean your Toyota Tacoma’s seat belt strap, you will keep it clean of dirt particles that can work their way into the fabric and over time, start to separate the fibers. When you clean the strap, check it for signs of wear, such as fraying or separating fibers. Once a seatbelt starts to fray, it should be replaced immediately. You should also occasionally simulate a crash or hard stop by giving the seat belt a good hard tug. It should have a little bit of leeway and let out a few inches before it locks you into place. If it does not lock out, it is definitely time to replace the belt. Check your Toyota Tacoma’s seat belt buckle unit. Keep it clean of dirt and grime and occasionally give it a yank to see if it lets the buckle separate. There is a replacement interval for seatbelts, although it may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Seat belt maintenance is important, and you should never gamble with safety.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

My driver side seatbelt buckle 'guide' is broken. it was already broken when i bought the car.

The portion of the seatbelt frabrice around the buckle, rub against the rough, broken edge is ... fraying.... =X'

It not that bad to me. just the edge. the belt itself feel good and strong.

I should have the seatbelt replaced.

/cheers

Ths article was written about seat belts for a Toyota Tacoma, but it can be applied to all cars.
While we all acknowledge that seat belts are perhaps the single most important safety device ever developed for the automobile, a significant number of people don’t wear them. Those that do tend to feel safe. However, there may be a risk within your seatbelt if it is wearing out, in which case you will have a false sense of security.

Just like anything else on a car, seat belts require periodic inspection and maintenance, although it is very simple. Part of the risk of seat belt failure comes from the actual strap fraying and failing.

If you periodically clean your Toyota Tacoma’s seat belt strap, you will keep it clean of dirt particles that can work their way into the fabric and over time, start to separate the fibers. When you clean the strap, check it for signs of wear, such as fraying or separating fibers. Once a seatbelt starts to fray, it should be replaced immediately. You should also occasionally simulate a crash or hard stop by giving the seat belt a good hard tug. It should have a little bit of leeway and let out a few inches before it locks you into place. If it does not lock out, it is definitely time to replace the belt. Check your Toyota Tacoma’s seat belt buckle unit. Keep it clean of dirt and grime and occasionally give it a yank to see if it lets the buckle separate. There is a replacement interval for seatbelts, although it may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Seat belt maintenance is important, and you should never gamble with safety.