4 Point Bosche Platinum Spark Plugs Stink!

JIBBBY

Just finished a major tune up on my FJ80 Toyota Landcruiser and got talked into buying the almighty "4 Point Bosche Platinum spark plugs" pre gapped....Needless to say they were the most expensive plugs too at like $9 each... Finished the tuneup expecting to feel a little more power but instead it was the opposite... I changed the cap, rotor, plugs wires, air and fuel filters, cleaned the TB, synthetic oil and filter changes, cleaned the injectors, etc... Cranked it up and noticed an immediate power loss even though it ran a little smoother....

After being disappointed I said to myself it's got to be the plugs, I immediately reinstalled my fried NGK plugs and the power was restored....

I think I will be going back to the Kragen auto parts tomarrow to get my money back for the greatest plugs on earth...Yeah right!!!!

Fair warning stick with OEM, NGK, or Denso plugs and stay clear of the 4 and 2 point plugs because they are crap....

Just finished a major tune up on my FJ80 Toyota Landcruiser and got talked into buying the almighty "4 Point Bosche Platinum spark plugs" pre gapped....Needless to say they were the most expensive plugs too at like $9 each... Finished the tuneup expecting to feel a little more power but instead it was the opposite... I changed the cap, rotor, plugs wires, air and fuel filters, cleaned the TB, synthetic oil and filter changes, cleaned the injectors, etc... Cranked it up and noticed an immediate power loss even though it ran a little smoother....

After being disappointed I said to myself it's got to be the plugs, I immediately reinstalled my fried NGK plugs and the power was restored....

I think I will be going back to the Kragen auto parts tomarrow to get my money back for the greatest plugs on earth...Yeah right!!!!

Fair warning stick with OEM, NGK, or Denso plugs and stay clear of the 4 and 2 point plugs because they are crap....

BELIVE IT ORNOT THESE SAME PLUGS WERE ADVERTIZED IN A 1955 MOTORTREND MAGAZINE THAT I HAVE WHAT A JOKE !!! THEY ARE NOT PLATIUM BUT THE SAME DESIGN !! STAY WITH THE NGK THEY WORK!!!!

Bosche claims these 4 point plugs to be the best and will yeild the best results for power...That is not the case and I think that is false advertising...

However, I do know the 4 point platinums are used in rotory engines and also race car applications, so maybe they would work better with a stronger then stock ignition coils...On standard street cars these plugs are a wash just like the old Spit fire plugs....COMPLETE GARBAGE and should be taken off the shelves....

if you think about it, the 4 point thing wouldnt work. doesnt electricity take the easiest path to discharge? if so then it would only go through 1 of the 4 points. what makes the plug fire 4 sparks? it probably doesnt. you just see the commercial with the 4 big sparks!

I have to respectively disagree with you 92 lex to some degree....

Those plugs were made and designed for my Toyota Landcruiser...Maybe they are solid on rotory engines or an exotic, but for an import engine they are worthless... These plugs got bashed on the Lextreme forum too, I guess I am not the only one who experienced these 4 point plugs in that same fashion...

I know that Bosch plugs don't work well in Jap cars. Look at my post above dude. But Bosch plugs aren't crappy either because they work great in Euro cars.

If you must use a +4 plug for a Jap car, use NGK +4's.

My 4.5L straight six banger motor in my Landcruiser runs like crap with the 4 point plugs....Ran super with the normal NGK plugs...GO FIGURE... 92LEX Do you have a stronger then stock ignition system going on in your ride? I am thinking these 4 point plugs probably work better on race application type motors, where the ignition systems are stronger and produce a stronger spark to support the four point plugs better...Any thoughts on that?

I'm using Ignition Solution Plasma Coils right now, so yeah...it's better than the stock system. The +4 plugs probably work better in Euro cars because of the combustion chamber design and head flow. No, I don't think it has much to do with the type of ignition system because old school BMW's use the +4 plugs and the ignition system in those cars is similar to what Honda and Toyota used. Bosch +4 plugs were OEM on BMW's but they recently switched over to NGK +4 plugs, only because the NGK's are 100k mile plugs.

The reason a lot of you guys hate Bosch plugs is because you guys are using the +4 plugs. Bottom line is that the +4 plugs will not work well unless properly matched to your application.

Well then Bosche is not properly matching their plugs at factory production to fit cars and trucks like mine...When purchased at the autoparts store they are specifically matched to my car....Install them and I lose power, take them out and replace them with the single pointers and power is restored.... That is all the proof I need to claim these plugs suck..... I thoughly tested and checked for improper gapping and or spark plug connections, all checked out... Bottom line is they do not produce a greater spark then the single point plugs inside the combustion chamber as they claim too......

Since Boshce is German Company maybe they are designed to better perform to German made cars and motors such as yours 92Lex.... I really don't see how that could be, but I guess I can agree to that...

I replaced my OEM plugs with NGK iridium plugs which I got off Ebay for $6-8/plug. They are good for approximately 100,000mi and I have not had a problem in the 4 years I've used them. They are very good and they are inexpensive.

• 3 years later...

i have got four point bosch plugs i think they make my car faster it out pulls most things i doont think they are really for big off roaders but smaller sporty cars i would stick with the ngk plugs and then you know what you are getting for your money