timing belt

voeltz

I have a question about the timing belts. Would I be able to tell by looking at it if it's original or if has been replaced. MY car has 104,000 miles on it and I have no idea if the timing belt has been changed. The previous owner used the maintenance records in the manual, but the dealership I bought the car from ripped them all out. ??? How much does this normally cost to get it taken care of.

It is not a difficult job to do. There is a idler pully to loosen and once that is done, the belt drops tension and can be easily removed. Just take a good look at the belt you got. Get right up and personal with it. Take a real good look at the ribs and velleys :? you know the belt. Anyways, if it has lots of little cracks or a big one or shows real signs of wear change it now. Other wise, if it is still bright black and looks decent and all that jazz, prolly no worry. The water pump is commonly changeg with the timing belt. Lexus recommends 60,000 and 120,000 miles. No problem.

Oh yea the job is quoted aproximately 600$ for the 60 and 120 service. It may be more, but prolly not less. You can do it yourself for cheaper. But it still necessary to do.

Are you still selling the ride or what? :lol:

Yeah, i'm still selling the ride, but that's not keeping me from doing regular maintenance on it. The day I put it up for sale I ordered new rear brake pads, NGK plugs, and that K&N cone filter for it! :) That was just me being obsessive with the need for more performance. he he he. by the way thanks for all the info.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...