Repair Headaches On My 2002 Es300

I have been lucky in that my repair cost have been minimal up to this point. Most of the easy maintenance I can do and have done by myself. Timing belts are not my cup of tea, so off to the dealership today.

Here the story begins.

1. Timing belt, water pump and associated belts and fixtures is going to run me close to a grand. I was expecting that.

2. They called me back to tell me my powersteering pump is leaking and it can't be repaired with a new seal kit. So add on another $750.

3. I asked them to "turn" the front rotors as a slight vibration has developed. They call me back because the tech says the vibration will most likely come back as the rotors on there are not Toyota/Lexus. I immediately pull out the receipt from Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) and give them the parts numbers of what was supposedly shipped. I called Sewell Lexus to find out their side of the story. I explain to a voice mail that my local Lexus dealership (Lexus of Norwood) claims that the rotors Sewell sent are not Toyota/Lexus or they are the old style rotor that were replaced by the 2002 TSB covering rotor/pad material mismatch (BR002-02). In anycase, the rotors Sewell sent me supposedly are also visibly different than the ones that Lexus currently stocks. Sewell has yet to call me back.

Oh well. I will keep you posted as to the outcome from all parties.

steviej

Really?!?? That would shock me if Sewell shipped you the incorrect rotors...

I'm REALLY thinking about trading mine in on an LS460 ;)

Personally, I cannot say they are incorrect. They looked just like what came off, they mounted up perfectly and they did run fine for 15,000 miles. I can say that they did develop the same pulsation that the original (pre-TSB) rotors did at about the same mileage.

I have put Sewell in contact with Lexus of Norwood and they will figure it out.

I should get the car back early tomorrow afternoon.

steviej

PS, I would love a new RX400h but then I would have to live in it.

Timing belt, water pump, accessory belts and etc have been changed.

Power steering pump had a leak in the front seal that would have cost more to reseal than just to replace. That is all fixed.

The brake rotors took the technician for a loop because I had painted them. That was the first reason to suspect aftermarket. However, when they matched up a current rotor from their stock with the same part number as the one sent by Sewell, the rotors didn't match up visually. The rotor that was sent by Sewell may in fact be Toyota/Lexus, but there seems to be a problem with the casting on both front rotors. Hence the pulsation. They suspect that the rotors sent by Sewell may be the old style that was replaced in the 2002-2003 TSB. Why they would still be in stock is beyond me. Sewell Lexus has agreed to send me out two new front rotors.

At the end of the day, the headache and problems were much less than they were made out to be yesterday.

steviej

Timing belt, water pump, accessory belts and etc have been changed.

Power steering pump had a leak in the front seal that would have cost more to reseal than just to replace. That is all fixed.

The brake rotors took the technician for a loop because I had painted them. That was the first reason to suspect aftermarket. However, when they matched up a current rotor from their stock with the same part number as the one sent by Sewell, the rotors didn't match up visually. The rotor that was sent by Sewell may in fact be Toyota/Lexus, but there seems to be a problem with the casting on both front rotors. Hence the pulsation. They suspect that the rotors sent by Sewell may be the old style that was replaced in the 2002-2003 TSB. Why they would still be in stock is beyond me. Sewell Lexus has agreed to send me out two new front rotors.

At the end of the day, the headache and problems were much less than they were made out to be yesterday.

steviej

Steve,

Sorry for all the troubles that you are going through. If your current rotors are warped and you are replacing them with a newer unit. I would replace the brake pads also. We had many many issues with ES300 rotors in the past, replacing the rotors and pads at the same time would eliminate comebacks.

On a second note, I'm shock that your power steering pump front seal give out this early in age.

Regards,

JPI

Really?!?? That would shock me if Sewell shipped you the incorrect rotors...

The computer sometimes would show the current parts number on the vehicle. It take some skills and time to keep up with the TSB. I spend about 5 hours per week to read and learn about these TSB for Lexus/Toyota and Scion. It's a very good tool to have.

Regards,

JPI

Lexus of Norwood did look into the part numbers. The same part number was used for brake rotors for the TSB as well as what was sent by Sewell. However, visually the rotors that were mounted on the car (from Sewell) did not visually match up to the rotors currently in stock under the same part number. Looking at some pictures of my rotors before the TSB, they are strikingly similar to those that Sewell did send.

Lexus of Norwood did say they did not think the rotors were heat warped because they lacked the purple high temp discoloration that most often accompanies the high temp warping. They did say they when they attempted to mill the rotors, they felt that the pulsation was due more to a bad casting of both rotors. Right now they are very smooth, but they did say that the pulsation will most likely return in 10-15,000 miles again.

I really am not surprised, every set of front rotors on this car has had to be replaced (due to TSB) or remilled at least once (the rotors put on by the TSB and the suspect ones from Sewell). I am starting to think that it just may be routine for the disposable rotors that are sold now a days. I will be most curious to see what the replacement rotors to be sent by Sewell will visually match up to: the ones currently on the car (previous sent by Sewell) or the ones currently in stock at Lexus of Norwood.

JPI, point well taken on the pads.

As a matter of fact, the pads were replaced with the rotors each time. If I have to replace the rotors again with what is being shipped, I will most likely start with new pads too. In all cases, original, TSB or most recent, all pads were Toyota/Lexus. Hopefully Sewell didn't ship me offbrand, old stock, or defective Toyota/Lexus pads last year as well.

steviej

On a second note, I'm shock that your power steering pump front seal give out this early in age.

Regards,

JPI

As am I, however, I wonder if maybe the PS belt was put on too tight at 40k miles when replaced at the dealer due to a squeal. One will never know. I also wonder if having the engine cleaned 2 times per year may have an effect on these types of seals. I have to wonder if the dramatic change in climates, amount of salt used on the roads in winter and what not. I am reaching here JPI. I did ask what their failure rate on PS pumps for the 2001-2006 ES's were. They said not that high, but they have seen it.

steviej

Lexus of Norwood did look into the part numbers. The same part number was used for brake rotors for the TSB as well as what was sent by Sewell. However, visually the rotors that were mounted on the car (from Sewell) did not visually match up to the rotors currently in stock under the same part number. Looking at some pictures of my rotors before the TSB, they are strikingly similar to those that Sewell did send.

Lexus of Norwood did say they did not think the rotors were heat warped because they lacked the purple high temp discoloration that most often accompanies the high temp warping. They did say they when they attempted to mill the rotors, they felt that the pulsation was due more to a bad casting of both rotors. Right now they are very smooth, but they did say that the pulsation will most likely return in 10-15,000 miles again.

I really am not surprised, every set of front rotors on this car has had to be replaced (due to TSB) or remilled at least once (the rotors put on by the TSB and the suspect ones from Sewell). I am starting to think that it just may be routine for the disposable rotors that are sold now a days. I will be most curious to see what the replacement rotors to be sent by Sewell will visually match up to: the ones currently on the car (previous sent by Sewell) or the ones currently in stock at Lexus of Norwood.

JPI, point well taken on the pads.

As a matter of fact, the pads were replaced with the rotors each time. If I have to replace the rotors again with what is being shipped, I will most likely start with new pads too. In all cases, original, TSB or most recent, all pads were Toyota/Lexus. Hopefully Sewell didn't ship me offbrand, old stock, or defective Toyota/Lexus pads last year as well.

steviej

Regards,

JPI

As am I, however, I wonder if maybe the PS belt was put on too tight at 40k miles when replaced at the dealer due to a squeal. One will never know. I also wonder if having the engine cleaned 2 times per year may have an effect on these types of seals. I have to wonder if the dramatic change in climates, amount of salt used on the roads in winter and what not. I am reaching here JPI. I did ask what their failure rate on PS pumps for the 2001-2006 ES's were. They said not that high, but they have seen it.

steviej

i had the same problem on my lex. with the rotors i think they are too small for the mass of the car.

but my tacoma stil has stock rotors at 212K and are in great shape.

Two new front brake rotors were on my side deck today from Sewell Lexus.

Interestingly, they do NOT look like the rotors that were sent last year.

These rotors have black outer edges and hubs, the ones last year were silver. The boxes and parts numbers were identical though.

oh well. They were free.

steviej