Strange Sound After Changing Timing Belt And Water Pump

After having the shop change the timing belt and the water pump, there is a strong sound coming from the engine compartment and seems to be coming from the time belt. It is not particularly loud but is quite noticeable, even with the hood closed and sitting inside the car with all doors closed. The sound is like rubber rubbing against plastic. There was no such sound before.

Could it be the timing belt rubbing against its cover or something? The car runs normal, though.

ya my first thought was probably not done at dealer or someone that knows what they're doing. When I had my old bimmer I took it to my friend's "connection" to get a cheap belt change. I got the same noise you were getting and when I took it to the dealership they said the belt was put on completely wrong. Car still ran at the time, but I contribute that to the transmission dying a year later.

The belt was changed by a local garage. I opened up the belt cover a bit to take a look at the belt. The belt is black with white big "Toyota" printed on it together with some smaller Japanese say something like "bending is strictly forbidden". Does it sound like a genuine Lexus/Toyota belt?

Have you contacted the garage that did the work? They may be able to help if you describe the noise and should make repairs free of charge to fix any mistakes that they may have made.

If it were me, I wouldn't even start the engine until I knew what was wrong. Good luck with the problem.

Have you contacted the garage that did the work? They may be able to help if you describe the noise and should make repairs free of charge to fix any mistakes that they may have made.

If it were me, I wouldn't even start the engine until I knew what was wrong. Good luck with the problem.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I'll take the car to the garage to let them take a look at it when I return from business trip.

• 10 months later...

Were you able to sort out the noise from the engine compartment after your timing belt and water pump change ? I have a 1999 ES300 that has a similar issue. Took it to Rockville MD Lexus dealership. They said it was the water pump even though the timing belt and the water pump was replaced about 14 months ago at only 24K miles - due to ago by the previous owner at a Long Island lexus dealership but now, since it was past 12 months, was not covered by warranty. Now the car had about 30K miles. They charged me close to $1000 and replaced the water pump. Still the same issue. Went back and complained and they replaced all the belts as well thinking it would help but still the same issue. After extensive arguments back and forth - they refunded my money - minus parts, but the problem is still there. Any ideas what the noise maybe?

Were you able to sort out the noise from the engine compartment after your timing belt and water pump change ? I have a 1999 ES300 that has a similar issue. Took it to Rockville MD Lexus dealership. They said it was the water pump even though the timing belt and the water pump was replaced about 14 months ago at only 24K miles - due to ago by the previous owner at a Long Island lexus dealership but now, since it was past 12 months, was not covered by warranty. Now the car had about 30K miles. They charged me close to $1000 and replaced the water pump. Still the same issue. Went back and complained and they replaced all the belts as well thinking it would help but still the same issue. After extensive arguments back and forth - they refunded my money - minus parts, but the problem is still there. Any ideas what the noise maybe?

From my experience in replacing timing belts (never used oem belts either), the only time I'd have any rubbing noises coming from the timing belt area the timing belt guide ring (goes on after the belt, on the crankshaft) was not installed, which allows the belt to rub up against the cover. I've heard of similar issues if the belt guide has a very convex shape and put on backwards it can do similar things. Another consideration is possibly having the belt too tight, which can also bring some new noises out. I don't know exactly how much pressure the tensioner pulley on the 1mz allows but it could be an overtightening issue. Normally if a pulley is going out it makes more of a chinging type noise (or grinding) than rubbing sound.

• 12 years later...