02-06 Transmission hesitation problems

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the service advisor care if you don't buy another Lexus? He doesn't even work for Lexus, he works for the dealer.

Or:

Just how many times has a given service advisor heard that same statement since this whole transaxle issue started with the first RX production?

Where's the BEEF...!

When you put a V6 engine and a transaxle in a FWD vehicle, BOTH sideways, there isn't a lot of room for nicesaties such as more robust gears, clutches, torque converter, decent size ATF pump or variable displacement ATF pump, within that gearbox. Take the Camry transaxle and fit it into a heavier AWD SUV and you undoubtedly are asking for problems. And yes, the beancounters will insist in parts and component commonality so and so you have transaxle problems across the board, SUV or smaller, lighter, sedan.

And now a six speed...??!!

Just how small can all those components be made and still hold up for 100,000 miles?

• 1 month later...
welcome to my world.

this is the one of the same complaints on the 02 tranny. Apparently they didn't fix it.

Search back (in CL) on 02 trannies and you will see a long detailed letter to lexus.com and thier responces concerning this problem.

The whole problem is shift logic. It doesn't shift when we think it should, or when we would if we had a manual or if it were a four speed auto.

There may be some joggling/bucking when going 40 mph in D. The car wants to go to 4 but the logic says stay in 5, thus producing the buck. push the lever over to 4 and it goes away or speed up to 45 and it goes away.

The hesitation is common if you stomp it. If you go 3/4 to the floor you get more acceleration and shifting ot one gear instead of the the drop in 2 gears which brings your rpms right up to 5-6k.

Lexus says its not a problem and the ECU will learn the driver's style and adjust, and most users complain it is and the hesitation can lead to possible accidents. There are complaints on it to NTSB (?NTHB) but I guess not enought to warrant Lexus/Toyota to move on the problem. (I have the web site if needed). Pop an email off to Lexus.com to register the complaint, the more owners that bring it up the better.

take care,

steviej

welcome to my world.

this is the one of the same complaints on the 02 tranny. Apparently they didn't fix it.

Search back (in CL) on 02 trannies and you will see a long detailed letter to lexus.com and thier responces concerning this problem.

The whole problem is shift logic. It doesn't shift when we think it should, or when we would if we had a manual or if it were a four speed auto.

There may be some joggling/bucking when going 40 mph in D. The car wants to go to 4 but the logic says stay in 5, thus producing the buck. push the lever over to 4 and it goes away or speed up to 45 and it goes away.

The hesitation is common if you stomp it. If you go 3/4 to the floor you get more acceleration and shifting ot one gear instead of the the drop in 2 gears which brings your rpms right up to 5-6k.

Lexus says its not a problem and the ECU will learn the driver's style and adjust, and most users complain it is and the hesitation can lead to possible accidents. There are complaints on it to NTSB (?NTHB) but I guess not enought to warrant Lexus/Toyota to move on the problem. (I have the web site if needed). Pop an email off to Lexus.com to register the complaint, the more owners that bring it up the better.

take care,

steviej

My spouse and I both had ES330, the transmission hang was so bad that after a nightmare, Lexus replaced my spouse's 2005 with a 2007 model. The Lexus service folks admitted that there is a major issue with the transmission in the 2004, 2005, 2006 models and they had finally gotten it right in the worked it out in the 2007 model. My husband's 2007 drives fantastic. Currently I'm in mediation with Lexus regarding this issue. They have offered to get me into a 2007 model for a mere $7500. Since I don't want to pay Lexus $7500 to replace my 2005 ES330 lease car, I could use some suggestions on the best route to solve the problem. They stated that the dealer tried to put an upgrade computer program on my car but the car already had the upgrade so their service department said the car was driving as designed. When I told the mediation folks that Lexus had already stated it was a faulty transmission, they made no comment. They have given me until June 18th to accept their offer, quoting me the Texas Lemon Law protects Lexus, does anyone have suggestions? I'm a certified mediator and confident that I could do well in the hearing but would like to hear others comments.

Thank you

Anyone driving a 330 '06 with transmission problems? My wife has an early 06 and her complaints are similar to what I've seen posted in this thread. It's been into the dealer a few times with much disbelief on their part, "never heard of anyone complaining about the transmission in this car..." Bottom line, she hates the car and I see this becoming very expensive. Any advice, help, suggestions appreciated. Thanks dbj

today I got as loaner ES 350 2007

and it's much better then my ES 330 :cries:

no hectic shifting gears at 20 mph and no issue to accelerate from 20 to 60 mph

any one got "Transmission hesitation problems" fixed for ES 330?

• 4 weeks later...

New, final(??) fix for delay/hesitation.

There are a few posts here and there by owners of '07 Avalons that seemingly indicate that Toyota is adopting the same procedure for automatic transaxles that are beginning to be used for FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles that have a manual transmission. With a manual transmission the driver cannot be restricted from downshifting regardless of roadbed conditions so the new procedure seems to be to rev the engine up to an appropreately higher level to prevent a significantly high, too high, level of engine compression braking on the front wheels when/if the driver inadvertently downshifts in slippery roadbed conditions.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

I suspect that what is happening, has been happening, is that the "DBW" version of the engine/transaxle controlling firmware creates the 1-2 second delay/hesitation just as Toyota has stated, "to protect the drive train". Apparently to which only a few owners, seemingly, are sensitive or their driving habits or patterns expose them to same. The MASSES, on the other hand, are considered more safe overall with the "DBW" version that prevents any significant level of engine compression braking on those front drive wheels but results in the delay/hesitation experience on RARE occasions.

So if you complain LOUD enough and/or LONG enough you will most likely get a "legacy" engine/transaxle firmware version, for the RX300 say, from 2003, before DBW.

It's likely that the only real shortcoming of the legacy version is ATF overheating and undue clutch wear resulting in premature transaxle failures. Toyota/Lexus may have decided to live with a few of those in order to dampen down their FWD and front torque biased AWD customer's public "out-cry" somewhat.

I sincerely believe the only viable long term fix is a variable volume ATF pump as Ford has adopted for the new Edge or even some sort of fluid pressure storage accumulator as was used in the TC system of the early versions of the LS400.

But in the meantime I suspect we are about to see a widespread TSB application by Toyota/Lexus that adopts the firmware control technique for automatic transaxles. The firmware technique now being used to prevent a significant level of engine compression braking on a stick shift FWD (or...) vehicles such as the Suzuki SX4 during driver downshifts.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

I suspect that what is happening, has been happening, is that the "DBW" version of the engine/transaxle controlling firmware creates the 1-2 second delay/hesitation just as Toyota has stated, "to protect the drive train". Apparently to which only a few owners, seemingly, are sensitive or their driving habits or patterns expose them to same. The MASSES, on the other hand, are considered more safe overall with the "DBW" version that prevents any significant level of engine compression braking on those front drive wheels but results in the delay/hesitation experience on RARE occasions.

So if you complain LOUD enough and/or LONG enough you will most likely get a "legacy" engine/transaxle firmware version, for the RX300 say, from 2003, before DBW.

It's likely that the only real shortcoming of the legacy version is ATF overheating and undue clutch wear resulting in premature transaxle failures. Toyota/Lexus may have decided to live with a few of those in order to dampen down their FWD and front torque biased AWD customer's public "out-cry" somewhat.

I sincerely believe the only viable long term fix is a variable volume ATF pump as Ford has adopted for the new Edge or even some sort of fluid pressure storage accumulator as was used in the TC system of the early versions of the LS400.

But in the meantime I suspect we are about to see a widespread TSB application by Toyota/Lexus that adopts the firmware control technique for automatic transaxles. The firmware technique now being used to prevent a significant level of engine compression braking on a stick shift FWD (or...) vehicles such as the Suzuki SX4 during driver downshifts.

To get the "legacy" firmware version on my 04ES330 is just to ask for it and it will happen??? Also, do I understand this will help the problem???

thanks

Suealbert

My spouse and I both had ES330, the transmission hang was so bad that after a nightmare, Lexus replaced my spouse's 2005 with a 2007 model. The Lexus service folks admitted that there is a major issue with the transmission in the 2004, 2005, 2006 models and they had finally gotten it right in the worked it out in the 2007 model. My husband's 2007 drives fantastic. Currently I'm in mediation with Lexus regarding this issue. They have offered to get me into a 2007 model for a mere $7500. Since I don't want to pay Lexus $7500 to replace my 2005 ES330 lease car, I could use some suggestions on the best route to solve the problem. They stated that the dealer tried to put an upgrade computer program on my car but the car already had the upgrade so their service department said the car was driving as designed. When I told the mediation folks that Lexus had already stated it was a faulty transmission, they made no comment. They have given me until June 18th to accept their offer, quoting me the Texas Lemon Law protects Lexus, does anyone have suggestions? I'm a certified mediator and confident that I could do well in the hearing but would like to hear others comments.

Thank you

I have had enough with my 05 ES. Almost got in a wreck trying to change lanes the other day as the car just wouldn't accelerate. My 93 ES was such a dream. Anyway, I am now considering filing a complaint with Lexus. Did you go through your dealer? Which dealer in Houston services your car?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and arrived here researching a 2002 ES300 I am/was interested in. After reading all the transmission issues with this car I am now having second thoughts on investing in the car. I am very surprised that lexus did not fix the problem after 5 years! It also seems like the problem is far too common and is not isolated to a few cars.

I am most probably not going to buy the '02 ES (59k), unless there is a way to see if this car has the same issue. It almost seems like a genetic defect with the transmission.

Thanks.

Al

I started this thread in the Spring of 2003 and finally decided in the Spring of 2006 to trade in this car for an '07 ES350....w/a new 6 speed transmission! I am now completely satisfied with the operation of this new car. You can't say I didn't try every conceivable method to be happy with the '03 ES300, but I did! I have spoken to 100's of owners of the '02 thru '06 ES's and the vast majority were definitely NOT happy with this transmission. Some have even tried to start a class action suit against Lexus, and some have even brought this to court as individuals, and some were successful in Lexus giving them buybacks.

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and arrived here researching a 2002 ES300 I am/was interested in. After reading all the transmission issues with this car I am now having second thoughts on investing in the car. I am very surprised that lexus did not fix the problem after 5 years! It also seems like the problem is far too common and is not isolated to a few cars.

I am most probably not going to buy the '02 ES (59k), unless there is a way to see if this car has the same issue. It almost seems like a genetic defect with the transmission.

Thanks.

Al

I started this thread in the Spring of 2003 and finally decided in the Spring of 2006 to trade in this car for an '07 ES350....w/a new 6 speed transmission! I am now completely satisfied with the operation of this new car. You can't say I didn't try every conceivable method to be happy with the '03 ES300, but I did! I have spoken to 100's of owners of the '02 thru '06 ES's and the vast majority were definitely NOT happy with this transmission. Some have even tried to start a class action suit against Lexus, and some have even brought this to court as individuals, and some were successful in Lexus giving them buybacks.

Actually its now been almost ten years. The problem that resulted in premature transaxle failures for the '99 RX300 appears to have been carried forward to the entire Toyota/lexus fleet of FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles. it apears that Toyoat has yet to find a "final" fix/solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Drive the car and see what you think. I still have never considered the transmission hesitation a serious or even an annoying problem and I've put nearly 100k miles on my ES...

Don't think that the posts on here are proof that EVERYONE has this problem. Everyone does not, in fact MOST owners do not.

Drive the car and see what you think. I still have never considered the transmission hesitation a serious or even an annoying problem and I've put nearly 100k miles on my ES...

Don't think that the posts on here are proof that EVERYONE has this problem. Everyone does not, in fact MOST owners do not.

try to go from 880 to 101 South to carpool lane from 4 PM to 7 PM then I'll accept that this isn't issue - again for you.

Again, if you don't have to enter freeway and change lane then there is NO ISSUE. All depend on where and how you drive.

No, I don't have extra $$$ to drop my es330 for another es350 or else.

I'm down shifting to 3 or 2 when it's needed and it works for me - yes engine runs about 5000 rpm that time, but better then be hit from rear - don't you think so?

just my 2c

Greetings,

Thanks.

Al

Test drive the car for more then hour.

Ether you like it or not - make it simple. It depends on how will you use it.

ES isn't for street racing. I may say it's well balanced commute car for it's price.

• 2 weeks later...

New, re-formed, theory...

DISCLAIMER:

Previous post is not a simple reply – this is actually 11-th edition of Wwest Mythology. Previous 10 editions have been discussed and bitten to death in approximately ~1000 posts in a number of forums/sites. I have read some of those. What is the result? See here:

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?...ic=6921&hl=

As if previous discussions do not exist, wwest posts the same stuff again and again and again…

Like a Big Propaganda Machine, wwest is in a win-win situation: if you start infinite discussions and win – it does not mater, next time he will post exactly the same stuff. If you ignore him – he will flood forums and poor readers would have to deal with it anyway.

END OF DISCLAIMER

Okay, "teacher" will take a different tact, tactic.

Do you know how many things in a car simply waste energy....???

A) Power stearing hydraulic pump when there is no "stearing" to be done. What, 98% of the time?

And yes, I do know that PS pressure helps "hold" the stearing in a "set" position, but just how much energy does that require in comparison to the HUGE losses?

The PS must have the pumping capacity/volume/displacement to help, SERIOUSLY help, turn the wheels at or near a dead stop(parallel parking...), all the while with the engine turning only at idle, of maybe slightly above.

So, 2200 RPM and driving straight down the highway at 65MPH guess how much pressurized PS fluid is simply being bypassed back into the sump.

Is it any wonder that many cars are converting to electric power stearing, even at the risk of having the solid state electronics overheat and therefore automatically going into a sub-standard power assist mode?

B] Gear-type engine lubricating pump. Again, pumping volume/capacity/displacement must accomodate full pressure and flow even with the engine at idle. So as engine RPM rises the EXTRA pumping capacity must be bypassed back into the sump.

Either BMW or MB, don't remember which, has already gone to a variable displacement engine lubricating oil pump in oder to reduce these losses and thereby reduce the engine heat load and also increase FE.

C) A/C compressor. Here again, the compressor pumping capacity must be such that it can provide FULL cooling capability at engine idle on a BRIGHT and SUNNY 100F (or above) day. In this case the A/C clutch along with a reasonably sized liquid refrigerant storage reservoir has been used for "eons" to ammiliate the effects of continuous engine loading by the A/C compressor.

So why do you suppose so many new vehicles are coming out equipped with the new variable capacity "swash plate" type A/C compressor, and the compressor clutch?

Because it is better design practice, overall, to have a continous ~2HP load on the engine rather than an intermittent load of ~7HP.

Getting the picture..?

D) And just what is the deal with the torque converter (hydraulic TURBINE pump, slush pump, etc.), just how lossy is that sucker?

The slush pump, torque converter, is really required ONLY to act as an automatic clutch. At low engine speeds, idle, the losses are so high that virtually no torque is coupled to the transaxle input shaft. NONE would be ideal, but nowadays you need a clutch pedal for that. The nice thing about the torque converter is that it also acts as a reduction gear ratio at low torque loading. But, that's where the torque converter lockup clutch comes into play. In OD it is highly desirous to have the engine operate at the lowest speed at which it can produce "just" enough torque for the current load factor...roadspeed. So at low engine RPMs the HIGH LOSS torque converter is bypassed by the lockup clutch.

E) This one is slightly off point but I bring it because if I don't someone else will.

The engine coolant water pump.

Almost all engine coolant water pumps are of the centrifical, turbine, type and thereby self limiting insofar as pumping volume is concerned. Obviously there is some "needless" loss involved here otherwise the water hoses would not "swell", balloon, as engine speed rises beyond the point wherein the thermostat will accomodate the pump volume. Other than the current crop of hybrids, all equipped, to my knowledge, with electric water pumps, other manufacturers have already converted to electric pumps, if not altogether then at least apartially so, for the cabin heater.

Get the picture..?

No...?

F) And finally....

The gear type ATF pump.

Like everything else above the most critical situation insofar as determining base pump volume occurs with the engine at idle.

Hmmmm..

Let's think this over a bit.

Just what "work" does the ATF pump have to do with the engine at idle?

Shifting from park or neutral to drive or reverse is clearly not critical insofar as pumping volume is concerned...

Upshifting once underway always involves engine RPM well above idle....

Aha, DOWNSHIFTING....

So, when does an automatic downshift with the engine at idle or nearly at idle.

Not for passing, kickdown, certainly...

But then how about just before coming to a full stop...?

Or during coastdown periods with the throttle fully closed...?

In both of these latter instances if the transaxle is to downshift lots of ATF pressure/flow will be required to ascertain the downshift clutches are quickly and firmly seated. Otherwise, with low or marginal ATF pressure these clutches would undoubtedly incur some serious level of slippage and the wear associated thereto.

So, the engineers say to each other, if we could eliminate just these two instances the ATF pump FIXED capacity could be a LOT lower and that would undoubtedly inprove FE overall while reducing the heat load and clutch wear rate.

Say, what does a stick shift driver do in these instances. Well as the cars coasts to a stop the driver would normally disenage the clutch and slip the transmission into 1st.

Well, we can't disenage the clutch....Can we...??

Sure can, simply "upshift" the transaxle a few notches, no substantial level of engine compression braking, NO transaxle clutch wear. Who cares if the upshifted clutches don't quickly fully and firmly engage...!

But what about coastdown periods at 40-30MPH with the engine at idle...?

Why not upshift then too, who's to notice?

The theory behind the above dissertation arose because I noticed a seeming abiguity between my earlier theory, "protect the drive train using DBW to prevent engine compression braking.'

Owners have been reporting that while in cruise control the engine/transaxle ECU will actually command a downshift to !Removed! roadspeed going down a hill.

Me..."What? Downshift a FWD or F/AWD vehicle and actually take advantage of engine compression braking?"

NOT...!

Or so I thought at first.

In cruise control the vehicle MUST be traveling ABOVE 35MPH. Engine speed is NOT at idle so the ATF pump volume is quite reasonable for supporting the downshift. Additionally with the cruise control engaged no serious level of engine compression braking will result. Once the downshift occurs the cruise control will raise the engine RPM just enough to HOLD the set speed.

So, what does all this rethinking mean..?

Not much.

Toyota, seemingly, first implemented this new upshift technique along with a significantly lower volume, HIGH EFFICIENCY, ATF pump in the 1999 RX300.

We all know by now, I hope, about the many reports of premature transaxle failures in the '99 RX300 that resulted.

Drivers still wanted quick kickdowns, downshifts, during, or worse, immediately after, those coastdown "upshifts". Or maybe even a quick "GO" downshift/kickdown if that traffic light suddenly turned green. But the new lower volume HIGH EFFICIENCY gear tyep ATF pump did not have that level of pumping capacity.

The rest, the '99 RX transaxle failures, is now history.

So by '00 the ATF pump volume was edged up a might but the upshift technique remained.

By the '01 RX model year Toyota knew they had a darn serious problem. They could not drop the upshift technique and still maintain the FE level they were touting and the EPA had published. So they raised the ATF pump volume yet again. But since the RX300 transaxle was never designed to handle the resulting level of heat load all products were shipped with the towing package, external ATF cooler included.

By the time the RX330 was brought to market the engineers had incorporated DBW "to protect the drive train". Prevent the driver, regardless of need, from being able to "command" a quick, FAST, transaxle downshift in the aforementioned circumstances.

I fully expect that very soon we will see the "final" fix for this MESS. The new Ford Edge uses a variable displacement ATF pump (To improve driver train efficiency, so says Ford). I suspect Toyota will soon follow their lead..

Ford, LEADING...??!!

Hmmm......With all the inefficiencies that you purport, then pray tell, how come the Lexus's get such fabulous gas mileage?

Maybe Lexus should hire you to do all these component re-designs. :chairshot:

Hmmm......With all the inefficiencies that you purport, then pray tell, how come the Lexus's get such fabulous gas mileage?

Maybe Lexus should hire you to do all these component re-designs. :chairshot:

They couldn't afford me. :pirate:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2004 ES330 and I notice rough shifting more often when I have 1/2 tank of gas or less. When we took it in for service we were told that this problem was fixed in the 2005 and newer models...Does anyone know if that is true? Also does anyone know where to purchase cool Lexus Gear? Example hats, shirts, jackets etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'08 Toyota/Lexus New Car Features..

In order to eliminate, alleviate, the 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation the '08 MY engine /transaxle ECU control firmware has been revised to recognize the rate at which the gas pedal is released. Apparently a QUICK gas pedal release will indicate a desire to slow the vehicle more rapidly and therefore it will be more likely to remain in a lower gear, the current lower gear. On the other hand a slow gas pedal release will indicate the driver's intent to enter cruising mode and therefore the transaxle will likely upshift as normal.

As I have said before, the problem arises when the vehicle has been operating in a lower gear range, say for moderate acceleration, then the driver goes into a brief full lift throttle period, coastdown, and then re-applies throttle to return to the acceleration mode. Such as might often happen in an acceleration lane of a freeway. The smallish (for FE) ATF pump cannot supply enough flow for two quick sequential shift sequences, especially with the engine at idle as a result of the full lift throttle period.

So the idea, new "fix", is to try and detect, sense, the driver's intent by recognizing the rate at which the gas pedal is released.

The difference between QUICK and SLOW...??

Probably a LEARNED driver style/technique parameter once you start the car in motion and continuing, continuous relearning, until you turn the ignition key off.

I would imagine that for most driver's this "new feature" will undoubtedly result in reducing substantially the number of times the 1-2 second delay/hesitation symptom is encountered.

The shift flare....

It looks as if the fill level of the transaxle might have been the problem all along. The new transaxles are sealed, no dipstick, and the instructions for dealer drain/refill clearly imply that the fill level, under or over, is EXTREMELY critical.

The instructions imply that the fill level, adjusted according to current ATF temperature, must be correct within 200ml, about a fifth of a quart.

I suspect the dipstick has been removed to take the DIY owner/driver, or anyone unknowledgeable of the correct procedure, out of the loop.

• 2 weeks later...
The 5 speed transmission on my new '03 seems a little strange. If I drive about 35mph and then slow down to about 5mph and than try to accelerate there is a hesitation. It's as if the transmission can not decide on what gear to go into. When it finally does there's a slight lurch forward. Can this be adjusted?

Alan

I see that there has'nt been much discussion on this topic lately, so perhaps things have not changed.

Hi all,

I am a new member.

I am planning to buy a pre-owned 05 ES330 and have test driven about 10 cars so far. I was vaguely aware of the transmission issues but was puzzled when I found that each car that I drove seemed a bit different. At first I thought that I was crazy. But, from reading this thread, it appears that a lot of it may depend on what was "learned" from the previous owner, as well as whether the car has had any flash updates from the original. But I still dont understand how 10 pre-owned 05's can drive so differently from each other if it really is the same transmission issue. The hesitation from slowdown does not seem to occur with all - at least during a brief test drive.

Should I change my plan and buy a different lexus (or another brand??!) - not sure if I can afford the 07 ES350 right now, and that model does not seem problem-free at the moment. Maybe I'll re-think a sportier car such as the Acura TL or even a Honda Accord.....

other than this issue, I love the ES

thanks

Boston Snowboarder

• 1 month later...

ab-o-li-tion

1. The act of doing away with or the state of being done away with; annulment.

2. Abolishment of slavery.

Following statement taken from Lexus NCF, New Car Features, for the '99 RX300.

1. Direct Clutch Fluid Pressure Control

Direct fluid pressure control using linear solenoids is adopted for fluid pressure control of B1 and C2 for

engagement/release upon shifting between the first and second speeds and between the second and third speeds.

The output pressures from linear solenoids SL1 and SL2 are led to B1 and C2 control valves for optimum

control of each clutch pressure. As a result, the automatic transmission size is reduced by accumulator abolition and fine fluid pressure control not possible with clutch fluid pressure control using accumulators.

"..the automatic transmission size is reduced by accumulator abolition..."

Fluid pressure accumulators are often used to sustain/maintain fluid pressures for the brief periods it takes for the hydraulic pump speed to rise to the required flow level.

Eliminating the accumulator was undoubtedly one of the methods used to make room for fitting more robust components into an otherwise light duty Camry transaxle that was now to be used to haul around a much bigger and heavier vehicle.

Premature transaxle failures for '99 & '00 RX300's.....

Prematurely burned ATF fluid for the '01 to '03 RX300 series...

1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation throughout the Toyota/Lexus FWD and F/AWD fleet due to DBW being used to delay the onset of engine torque until the gear type ATF pump could pump enough fluid with the engine at idle to bring the pressure back up to snuff....

Engine flare during 3-4 upshifts...

All traceable to one simple engineering mistake made during the design phase for the RX300.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the final analysis for the 2003 ES 300. I went through some of the posts but their is around 45 pages now. I just bought the car last summer and realized their was a shifting issue, but figured it may just be age. However, it does occur around 40mph. Any help would be great. I'll have 110k on the car shortly. B)