02-06 Transmission hesitation problems

It would be unusual, in the extreme, for any 04 Lexus not to at least have Trac, especially a FWD Lexus. Look for a lighted icon, Trac or VSC on the instrument panel just after you turn the ignition on, but not to the start position.

Trac: Traction control is a subset of ABS. If the driven wheels start to spin as the result of applying too much engine torque for the surface traction Trac will apply braking to the drive wheels, in your case the front wheels and simultaneously dethrottle the engine.

Wheelspin/slip indicates loss of traction and on a FWD vehicle that will mean loss of the ability to maintain or provide directional control and thereby often results in an accident due to loss of control.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be unusual, in the extreme, for any 04 Lexus not to at least have Trac, especially a FWD Lexus. Look for a lighted icon, Trac or VSC on the instrument panel just after you turn the ignition on, but not to the start position.

Trac: Traction control is a subset of ABS. If the driven wheels start to spin as the result of applying too much engine torque for the surface traction Trac will apply braking to the drive wheels, in your case the front wheels and simultaneously dethrottle the engine.

Wheelspin/slip indicates loss of traction and on a FWD vehicle that will mean loss of the ability to maintain or provide directional control and thereby often results in an accident due to loss of control.

The ABS light comes on for a few seconds. But there is no Trac or VSC on the instrument panel at all. The only thing I see in documentation is the ABS with EBD (electronic breakforce distribution).

Not true, if the car doesn't have VSC the car doesn't have trac. I know, because it was hard to get me a car in 03 with VSC and TRAC because Lexus had suspended the VSC and Trac option while they upgraded it to work with the 3.3 liter engine coming out for 04.

If your ES does not have VSC it does not have TRAC.

tdgreer, do you have a button on the lower right hand part of the dash entitled "TRAC OFF"? No button, no VSC or TRAC.

So, what if the anomalous "extended" delay only occurs on vehicles with Trac, or even VSC.

It absolutely does not, I've driven them back to back and it makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER in how the throttle lag presents itself.

You've got to LISTEN to us wwest, we dont need to disable the trac/VSC systems on our cars to see if they cause the lag because we have cars without VSC and trac to compare them to.

I thin jrag's right, the issue has to be somewhere in trying to tune the electronic throttle to maintain the ULEV status of the car. We already know of one component designed in such a way as to meet that status while causing issues with driver comfort, the catalytic converter Lexus released a TSB for. We also know that canadian cars don't seem to exhibit the issue to the same degree as US cars do, and they're not held to the same emissions standards. This all seems very simple to me.

Personally, I feel occam's razor applies here, the simplest solution is probably the right one, and to me the ULEV status seems to fit the evedence and this theory about VSC and ABS and TRAC and geometry and physics all seems needlessly complicated and goes AGAINST the facts we do have which are:

1. ES vehicles exhibit the throttle lag whether they have VSC/TRAC or not.

2. ES vehicles in the US are ULEV certified, and they are not rated in any such way in Canada.

3. ES vehicles in Canada do not exhibit the lag as seriously as they do here.

4. Lexus has already admitted that they designed one component of the ES model to be so efficient as to produce odors that bother passengers in order to achieve ULEV status, the catalytic converter (replaced with a less efficient unit via TSB and warranty)

So it seems that the evidence points to the ULEV status, and that it certainly does not point to VSC/Trac.

Ohay, how do you know that there are not two "forms" of engine/transaxle delay/hesitation? One form which Toyota has deemed "normal", to protect the drive train, and a second, extended one, causing delays of one of two seconds are more.

I can fully and easily accept Toyota' explanation that there is an intentional delay in allowing the engine to develop a substantial level of torque as the downshift is completing. I often drive a stickshift and I do not wish to be replacing the clutch prematurely. So I am careful to not apply gas inordinately quickly as I engage the clutch after a downshift.

So I can fully accept Toyota explanation that the delay is to protect the drive train. But just how long a delay are they talking about? Certainly one that would be noticeable if one were in an especial hurry to accelerate.

But clearly, that wouldn't be 1 to 2 seconds as is being complained about, a few hundred milliseconds, maybe.

So, ALL of Toyota's electronically controlled transmissions with DBW are exhibiting some level of downshift delay. Enough of a delay that any driver having experience with previous, non-DBW transmissions, will definitely notice when quickly returning to acceleration circumstances.

So, what if the anomalous "extended" delay only occurs on vehicles with Trac, or even VSC.

Look at the contention between the parties, posters, involved, some say the delay is hazardous. In my opinion a 1 to 2 second unpredictable delay might very well put one into an unsafe condition. But many who claim to be experiencing the delay contend "no way" to the unsafe or hazard issue, and often further dispute the 1 or 2 second amount.

Good, logical evidence that there may be two forms of the delay/hesitation.

Except that you keep ignoring the facts in dreaming up your silly scenarios.

My car does not have Trac. It does not have VSC. It is a standard 2004 ES330 without either of those options. Yet I experience the severe, long 1-2 second delay.

It has been pointed out to you over and over again that you don't know what you're talking about. Just accept it and learn.

Not true, if the car doesn't have VSC the car doesn't have trac. I know, because it was hard to get me a car in 03 with VSC and TRAC because Lexus had suspended the VSC and Trac option while they upgraded it to work with the 3.3 liter engine coming out for 04.

If your ES does not have VSC it does not have TRAC.

tdgreer, do you have a button on the lower right hand part of the dash entitled "TRAC OFF"? No button, no VSC or TRAC.

It absolutely does not, I've driven them back to back and it makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER in how the throttle lag presents itself.

You've got to LISTEN to us wwest, we dont need to disable the trac/VSC systems on our cars to see if they cause the lag because we have cars without VSC and trac to compare them to.

I thin jrag's right, the issue has to be somewhere in trying to tune the electronic throttle to maintain the ULEV status of the car. We already know of one component designed in such a way as to meet that status while causing issues with driver comfort, the catalytic converter Lexus released a TSB for. We also know that canadian cars don't seem to exhibit the issue to the same degree as US cars do, and they're not held to the same emissions standards. This all seems very simple to me.

Personally, I feel occam's razor applies here, the simplest solution is probably the right one, and to me the ULEV status seems to fit the evedence and this theory about VSC and ABS and TRAC and geometry and physics all seems needlessly complicated and goes AGAINST the facts we do have which are:

1. ES vehicles exhibit the throttle lag whether they have VSC/TRAC or not.

2. ES vehicles in the US are ULEV certified, and they are not rated in any such way in Canada.

3. ES vehicles in Canada do not exhibit the lag as seriously as they do here.

4. Lexus has already admitted that they designed one component of the ES model to be so efficient as to produce odors that bother passengers in order to achieve ULEV status, the catalytic converter (replaced with a less efficient unit via TSB and warranty)

So it seems that the evidence points to the ULEV status, and that it certainly does not point to VSC/Trac.

I do not have a button for "trac off". Or VSC for that matter. I did have such button on my 2000 Avalon. On the lower right side that said "VSC off". No such thing on this Lexus.

I do not have a button for "trac off". Or VSC for that matter. I did have such button on my 2000 Avalon. On the lower right side that said "VSC off". No such thing on this Lexus.

Then you don't have TRAC or VSC ;)

The 2003 ES300 that my wife is in love with is a pile of trash as far as I am concerned. Honestly, it is one of the worst driving (handling), riding and performing car I have ever owned, and I've owned 35 different cars and two pickups during the past 54 years. Worse than any Ford or GM product, with the exception of a 1991 Nissan Maxima. I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough. Lost a ton of money to get rid of it. I would sell this 03 tomorrow if my wife would consent.

:cries:

The 2003 ES300 that my wife is in love with is a pile of trash as far as I am concerned. Honestly, it is one of the worst driving (handling), riding and performing car I have ever owned, and I've owned 35 different cars and two pickups during the past 54 years. Worse than any Ford or GM product, with the exception of a 1991 Nissan Maxima. I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough. Lost a ton of money to get rid of it. I would sell this 03 tomorrow if my wife would consent.

What irritates me the most about this is Toyota's denial. USA Today reviewed the 2007 Toyota Camry and saw the same hesitation problems. He contacted Toyota and they said that it's a problem that doesn't occur in production vehicles- ignoring the fact that there have been dozens of complaints to NHTSA and thousands of complaints online.

THAT is why I won't buy another Toyota vehicle and will recommend to my friends that they don't buy one. Also, my company will not buy any Toyota vehicles for its fleet.

What irritates me the most about this is Toyota's denial. USA Today reviewed the 2007 Toyota Camry and saw the same hesitation problems. He contacted Toyota and they said that it's a problem that doesn't occur in production vehicles- ignoring the fact that there have been dozens of complaints to NHTSA and thousands of complaints online.

THAT is why I won't buy another Toyota vehicle and will recommend to my friends that they don't buy one. Also, my company will not buy any Toyota vehicles for its fleet.

The 2007 Camry / ES350 / RX350 has the same all new 3.5 liter V6 as the 2006 Avalon. I havn't heard of complaints from 2006 Avalon owners about hesitation problems nor have I read about any such complaints in auto road test magazines. I'm guessing the hesistation problem may have been largely resolved.

The 2007 Camry / ES350 / RX350 has the same all new 3.5 liter V6 as the 2006 Avalon. I havn't heard of complaints from 2006 Avalon owners about hesitation problems nor have I read about any such complaints in auto road test magazines. I'm guessing the hesistation problem may have been largely resolved.

I'm going to have to agree with that considering it's an all new engine & tranny in the ES & Camry. Toyota/Lexus rarely makes the same mistake twice. Time will tell however so let's give it time. ;)

:cheers:

Can we be sure that Toyota/Lexus actually considers the delay/hesitation a mistake?

All I got from the service manager at Lexus of Bellevue about a week ago was his grousing about people being to cheap to use premium fuel. Talk about being totally out of touch with your customer base!

Personally I think Toyota is, has been, concentrating on the "standard" delay/hesitation that arises, justifiably, from the new automatic transmission control techniques recommended by Sierra Research back in 99 and not realizing that a significant level, a few, drivers are for some as yet unknown reason expereincing an extended delay/hesitation symptom.

Under the new techniques, ASL (Agressive Shift Logic) in particular, these transaxles will be dramatically quicker to upshift on full or even partial, slight, throttle "lift". Obviously that will result in the transaxle being in the wrong gear ratio when/if the driver subsequenctly decides to accelerate. The only advantage I can see for the use of premium fuel is that the downshift selection will/can be more decisive due to less likelihood that the downshift will result in engine knock/ping.

If electonic accelerator pedal assembly's output is between 0.1 and 0.8 volts the pedal is assumed to be fully released and the engine will be commanded to idle. "Usable" range is designated in the 2004 Lexus RX330 shop/repair manuals to be between 0.8 volts and 5 volts. Yet the test procedure in the shop manual indicates that the allowable output voltage of the sensor with the pedal fully released can be as high as 1.3 volts and still be acceptable.

Does not compute!

I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you, too.

1. Toyota has claimed that the problem has been solved over and over and over - and people still have problems.

2. The USA Today reviewer said he experienced the problem.

3. Go to nhtsa.dot.gov. There's already one complaint about the 2006 Avalon with 3.5 and automatic.

Doesn't look like it's resolved any more than the last dozen times they claimed it was.

My question is, if your wife is in love with it then why does it matter what you think of it? Not your kind of car, obviously it is your wife's kind of car. If you don't like it, drive your own car.

Can we be sure that Toyota/Lexus actually considers the delay/hesitation a mistake?

As a matter of fact we're sure that they don't think its a mistake. They believe that its a normal operating condition of the electronic throttle system, and based on other electronic throttle systems I've experienced (in the US mind you), they're right. I've experienced the same hesitation on a myriad of other vehicles.

I also still question the number of people that actually are bothered by the lag, for instance I know MANY people that drive 02-06 ES cars (in real estate all most everyone has one) and I have never encountered anyone who complained about the lag when we were discussing the car. The only place I've heard of it is in some reviews and online, all from ca enthusiasts who are more critical of things of this nature than the buying public.

So my question is what % of owners actually find the issue a problem, my guess is not much, hence why they don't focus on a solution. Remember, that you can adjust your driving habits to compensate, you guys just don't want to because your fury over this issue has made you not want to enjoy the car.

I love every thing about my Lexus except how it drives. It is extremely disappointing. The best ride I've ever had was my 2000 Avalon. As far as adjusting my driving habits... I've been driving for 30 years, pretty much the same way now and when I started out. As far as I can tell, I drive petty "normal". Why change how I drive for this one vehicle? I'm not sure how I would change. I had this car for about 20 months before expressing my displeasure on any forum. Honestly, I don't even talk about it to my friends. I find it embarrassing that my Lexus drives like crap and nothing can be done about it. This may not be a problem with all recent model ES's, but there is no denying there is a problem. I think Lexus will eventually address it. Maybe they won't admit a problem, but will quietly fix it.

I am holding on to it for a while. I am hoping another model year will come along and fix it. Even my service guy at Lexus admits this is a big problem for Lexus. I like the ES. Do the GS's have the problem? Haven't heard that they do. If not, and the newer ES's don't get fixed, then I may move to the GS. Or leave Lexus all together.

Why change how I drive for this one vehicle? I'm not sure how I would change.

Because this vehicle uses technology that operates differently than vehicles you've owned before. Its actually very easy to train yourself to drive the car smoothly, you just have to anticipate the lag in the throttle when you are applying throttle and it won't hesitate I can now drive mine completely smoothly 99% of the time, and its automatic I don't even have to think about it. You sort of toe into the throttle for a split second before applying throttle. The lag only happens really when accelerating from a roll, and you learn when to do it and when not to. It feels odd to me to drive cars without electronic throttles now.

I posted a pretty long description of this on here somewhere, its hard to describe how to do it. Ask Steviej, he's the one who told me.

Do the GS's have the problem? Haven't heard that they do. If not, and the newer ES's don't get fixed, then I may move to the GS. Or leave Lexus all together.

They all do, all Lexus vehicles made after 1998 or so and many other vehicles with electronic throttles including Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, Nissans, etc. It seems worse on the ES because it doesn't have an ECT PWR mode for the transmission like the other Lexus sedans do, which helps the lag tremendously.

You can learn to drive around it, I promise you but you have to want to. If we lived closer I'd be happy to meet you for lunch and show you, but Tampas a long drive lol

"Because this vehicle uses technology that operates differently than vehicles you've owned before. Its actually very easy to train yourself to drive the car smoothly, you just have to anticipate the lag in the throttle when you are applying throttle and it won't hesitate I can now drive mine completely smoothly 99% of the time, and its automatic I don't even have to think about it. You sort of toe into the throttle for a split second before applying throttle. The lag only happens really when accelerating from a roll, and you learn when to do it and when not to. It feels odd to me to drive cars without electronic throttles now.

You can learn to drive around it, I promise you but you have to want to."

That doesn't correct or remedy the problem at all. Lexus needs to acknowlege the problem and fix it. Why would you want to modify your driving habits to compensate for an usafe design? I have driven cars with electronic throttles for several years and have never experienced this problem. My Mercedes E-Class didn't have it, my BMW 5-Series doesn't have it, and my 2005 LS430 doesn't have it. It looks like it will take a massive class-action lawsuit to force Lexus to correct the problem. Adjusting your driving habits to compensate for a bad design is no solution.

As I've mentioned before, not all drivers, or even most drivers, experience this issue. It absolutely depends on how you drive. I know for a fact that the lag exists on the LS430 for instance because my father has one, his 98 LS430 had it also. I have a client who has a 530i that I've driven a few times, it has it, I've driven several different makes of cars that exhibited this behavior, the common element has ALWAYS been the electronic throttle.

As for it being an unsafe design, there has never been one accident reported to the NHTSA due to such a throttle lag, in any make of vehicle, ever.

As for a massive class action suit, again I don't think there are enough people that have the problem.

SO, you can either sell the car and buy something else after thoroughly test driving it or adapt your driving style to the characteristics of this particular technology in this particular application. Its not difficult and it becomes automatic fairly quickly. They sell more and more cars every year remember, so I don't think this is that serious an issue to them.

People adapt their driving styles to new technologies all the time. Remember all the resistance after ABS came out and people had to learn to stop pumping brakes? This is no different. I don't understand why all these companies insist on using drive by wire systems right now, but they do, and at least for now we have to adapt. Thank God Mercedes dumped their terrible brake-by-wire system.

I also still question the number of people that actually are bothered by the lag, for instance I know MANY people that drive 02-06 ES cars (in real estate all most everyone has one) and I have never encountered anyone who complained about the lag when we were discussing the car. The only place I've heard of it is in some reviews and online, all from ca enthusiasts who are more critical of things of this nature than the buying public.

So my question is what % of owners actually find the issue a problem, my guess is not much, hence why they don't focus on a solution. Remember, that you can adjust your driving habits to compensate, you guys just don't want to because your fury over this issue has made you not want to enjoy the car.

Go to nhtsa.dot.gov.

The throttle lag problem is the #1 problem on the ES330. There are dozens of complaints. Given the small number of people who bother to complain, you can bet that the number is huge. Virtually every review I've seen in magazines and newspapers mentions it.

Read the threads in this board. There are a few complaints about the cup holders. A small number of complaints about a few other things. And many hundreds of complaints about the throttle lag.

Just what (other than a blind 'Lexus can do no wrong' attitude) can make you think it's not a significant problem?

Methinks there is a very BASIC misunderstanding going on about the engine/transaxle delay hesitation.

There is the STANDARD delay EVERYONE experiences at one time or another.

Toyota is very definitely, by their own admission, using the DBW, E-throttle system, to delay the onset of engine torque developement to "protect the drive train", give the transaxle downshift clutches time to fully and firmly seat. Not any different than any of us would do when downshifting a manual transmission, at least most of the time.

This "standard", normal delay, hesitation, is being noticed, noticeable, because prior to DBW our engines's torque began to rise the instant we depressed the accelerator. That's very likely also why the pre-04 RX series is enduring a serious number of premature transaxle failures. ASL= more frequent upshifts and downshifts, no DBW, NO delay = an inordinate level of clutch frictional surface wear.

Insofar as I can tell the new automatic transaxle shift logic recommended by Sierra Research in April of 1999 was adopted for the RX before my 2001 RX300 was built.

So, let's say that the "standard" delay is on the order of 200 to 500 milliseconds (2/10's to 1/2 a second). That's enough for everyone to take notice, especially those having previously, or still, driving older versions.

Now, lets assume that a very small number of accelerator pedal assemblies leave the factory with the "at rest", fully released, sensor output voltage on the high side of the acceptable tolerance, above 0.8 volts, as high as 1.1 volts.

First there is the fact that the factory manuals indicate that the low end of the accelerator pedal's "usable" range is with the sensor's output explicitly at 0.8 volts. It makes perfect sense that the designers would want some slack, tolerance, a "widow" (0.0xx to 0.8 volts) of voltage ranges that represent the idle, fully released, position.

But now we have some pedals in use by customers wherein the sensor never falls below 0.8005 volts.

Why would that matter?

Because the transaxle shift control design would not likely upshift if the pedal were fully released. Fully released would be assumed to mean "I wish to coastdown to a lower speed" and upshifting would not be conducsive to that.

On the other hand what if you just ease off the accelerator pedal slightly? The logic would be such that the system would assume "I want to just begin cruising along at about this speed", and an upshift would then be very appropriate.

And now.....

What if a part of the engine/transaxle ECU firmware, due to those flawed tolerances, just simply couldn't detect the difference between a partial accelerator pedal release and a full release.

Definitely would have a much greater propensity for upshifting, right?

And what other aspects might result from the firmware being "confused" (why is the driver on the gas and brakes at the same time?) in this manner?

Maybe a "watch-dog" timer master firmware reset?

In effect a engine/transaxle ECU firmware "reboot".

How many seconds might that take?

Go to nhtsa.dot.gov.

The throttle lag problem is the #1 problem on the ES330. There are dozens of complaints. Given the small number of people who bother to complain, you can bet that the number is huge. Virtually every review I've seen in magazines and newspapers mentions it.

Read the threads in this board. There are a few complaints about the cup holders. A small number of complaints about a few other things. And many hundreds of complaints about the throttle lag.

Just what (other than a blind 'Lexus can do no wrong' attitude) can make you think it's not a significant problem?

I've been there many times. Dozens of complaints, out of ~250,000 02-06 ES' on the roads. I've read the threads on this board, again many times. There are hardly hundreds of complaints about the throttle lag, there have been maybe 15 members that have posted complaining about the hesitation, and most of them sought out and joined the board simply by doing a search for "ES300 and hesitation" and since we discuss this over and over and over again it comes up on the top of the search. They complain, then leave. There are maybe 4 of you that are habitual complainers about this issue, and its basically all you ever post about.

Again, they sell 70-80k of these things a year, and they have an excellent customer satisfaction, long term dependability, and initial quality rating.

I think your closeness to the situation makes you think more people share your views than actually do.

As for a "blind Lexus can do no wrong attitude", I have nothing of the sort. I really don't care actually, I like my car and the Lexus brand, and they break sales records every year so other people must also, but I have no predisposition to thinking they can or can't do any wrong. On many occasions I've expressed frustration with how other people have had their concerns handled, but I've been happy and primarily so must everyone else have been, again since the sales figures keep going up and up and the customer satisfaction remains strong.

Personally, I think the issue here is certain people's unwillingness to entertain the notion that this simply may be a relatively isolated issue that a little adjustment in their driving patterns would be able to remedy.

I'm a person of action and I have absolutely no tolerance for whining and thats ALL you do about this issue, whine, whine, whine. Sell the car, sue Lexus, try and adapt your driving, do something other than passive aggressive BS like "getting your company to not purchase any more Toyotas" or "making your friends buy other cars" (oh please, don't be so vain your friends and my friends are going to buy whatever they want regardless of what we say and we both know that) and maybe I and others will take your concerns a little more seriously. Whining solves nothing.

More evidence that you are right can be found in recent Consumer Reports owner surveys which list the transmission of the ES330 (and Camry V6) as a trouble spot - not because of transmission failure, but because of throttle lag. Soon the April 2006 annual auto issue of CR will hit the newsstands I'll post photos so everyone can see what owners reported to CR. As I have mentioned before, it is interesting that the 5 speed automatic in the '05 and '06 Camry 4 cylinder doesn't exhibit an annoying degree of lag. Only the 1MZ-FE ans 3MZ-FE V6's do.

Another interesting fact is that the 4 speed automatic in the '04 Camry 4 cylinder had a zero lag cable operated throttle instead of drive by wire and yet it still met Partial Zero Emission standards (in California at least).

More evidence that you are right can be found in recent Consumer Reports owner surveys which list the transmission of the ES330 (and Camry V6) as a trouble spot - not because of transmission failure, but because of throttle lag. Soon the April 2006 annual auto issue of CR will hit the newsstands I'll post photos so everyone can see what owners reported to CR. As I have mentioned before, it is interesting that the 5 speed automatic in the '05 and '06 Camry 4 cylinder doesn't exhibit an annoying degree of lag. Only the 1MZ-FE ans 3MZ-FE V6's do.

Another interesting fact is that the 4 speed automatic in the '04 Camry 4 cylinder had a zero lag cable operated throttle instead of drive by wire and yet it still met Partial Zero Emission standards (in California at least).

In addition, Canadian vehicles are not known to suffer these problems......due to the different emission regulations between our 2 countries.

In addition, Canadian vehicles are not known to suffer these problems......due to the different emission regulations between our 2 countries.

Exactly. Lexus should allow US ES owners to choose the Canadian Transmission settings if they wish. Lexus could no longer claim the vehicle as ULEV, but that only matters for new vehicle sales. Once I own the car, I can modify it within fairly broad limits.

Not that interesting actually, no electronic throttle, no transmission lag. As for Consumer Report, again though is this an example of a widespread problem or the people who are having problems being so loud? I don't see how sales of this model would continue to increase if the issues were as widespread nad pervasive as you're saying

Exactly. Lexus should allow US ES owners to choose the Canadian Transmission settings if they wish. Lexus could no longer claim the vehicle as ULEV, but that only matters for new vehicle sales. Once I own the car, I can modify it within fairly broad limits.

There's the first thing we do agree about.