Sundamage

There's nothing you can do at this point. :pirate:

To prevent it from happening on spots that aren't crackin' and peeling, coat it w/ wax. It will act like a barrier to help prevent contaminates and the sun from drying out the paint and eating it away.

If it's already started cracking, then the entire surface area that it's on needs to be sanded down and repainted to be fixed right. :(

Sad stuff. :unsure:

What year and what mileage does your car have? Also, what environment is it in? Usually Lexus has really nice paint that will last many years (ie 20+)

With proper care it will last, but if uncared for, sits out in the sun all the time etc, it'll die fast like all other paint.

Once it starts, its like a cancer, keeps spreading.

Out of curiousity, what color is your car? A lot of manufacturers have oxidation/fading issues with dark red paints. Also, Lexus does not clearcoat black cars (supposedly the clear would show swirls too badly), so the paint itself faces the elements. That is one reason I want to polymer my ES with Zaino or Klasse in the near future.

Out of curiousity, what color is your car? A lot of manufacturers have oxidation/fading issues with dark red paints. Also, Lexus does not clearcoat black cars (supposedly the clear would show swirls too badly), so the paint itself faces the elements. That is one reason I want to polymer my ES with Zaino or Klasse in the near future.

hmm i think this was discussed once before.i have a 95 es black and i know i have a clearcoat on my car.sevaral others here also agree they have a clear coat on there black cars also.i really would like to see proof that lexus dont clearcoat there black cars because mine is 110 percent clearcoated.

as for the peeling and cracking of paint your pretty much screwed.keep some wax on it to try to prevent further damage but you need a paint job.

hmm i think this was discussed once before.i have a 95 es black and i know i have a clearcoat on my car.sevaral others here also agree they have a clear coat on there black cars also.i really would like to see proof that lexus dont clearcoat there black cars because mine is 110 percent clearcoated.

I spoke to Lexus headquarters and also paint shops about the clearcoat on Black '02-'03 Lexus's and I was told that they DON'T use a clearcoat!! Maybe the previous models of the ES's did. :rolleyes: