Kdss Question - How Do You Tell It Has It By Looking?

SpeedRacer959

Hello, I'm in the market to buy a 2004 GX w/ KDSS and I'm curious how you can tell if it has it just by looking. I know that on the 2006 models they have sport colored panels and molding inside, however that isn't the case on the 2004 model.

From what I know so far, the sport package on the 2006 model comes with the KDSS and includes the smoked out wheels, front fog lights, and roof rack. Is this true for the 2004 as well?

I have a picture of the one I'm looking to buy (see attached pic)....maybe one of you LOC GX experts can decypher it to tell me if it has it or not.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Also, if you have a 2004+ GX w/ KDSS I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

post-1494-1173309294_thumb.jpg

I own a 2004 Blizard white with KDSS system. There is nothing in the body or the looks that can tell you it has KDSS suspension. However, if you look under the car you can see the KDSS supension system, which is very different than the regular one. BTW, the handeling is also much much better with KDSS. Paricularly around sharp turns and freeway ramps. Mine has about 50k on it, and depending on the going price I might be interested to sell it since I have a second car. I am the original owner, never have been in an accident and it is fully loaded with Nav., 3rd row seats and rear seat DVD player. You may send me an email: bob@advancedphoto.net

reagrds

bob

I am new to the GX470, and the owners manual mentions that the KDSS light should appear on the instrument panel for a few seconds when you turn the key to the "ON" position. If it does not show, it is not installed.

Well I went and test drove a 2006 w/ KDSS and a 2007 w/out KDSS and I must say I wish I had never compared the two. Now I feel like I will be unhappy unless I find a model w/ KDSS.

From my direct comparison experience, the KDSS makes the SUV seem smaller, lighter, and more agile. I noticed it most when I was accelerating and turning a the same time...For instance when you just pull out from an intersection and and floor it. The '07 w/out KDSS seemed to roll to one side and made me feel like I was coming out of my seat, but the '06 w/ KDSS seemed to have a tendency to kick the rear end out and maintain a level body under cornering acceleration....similar to how a rear wheel drive sedan would react to the same circumstance.

Coming from an ES300, I really notice the extra weight and roll of the vehicle. The KDSS makes it feel like a much more manageable SUV.

I just wish Lexus made it easy and put some sort of badging on the vehicle...typical Lexus though....so understated.

Both vehicles are sweet SUVs thought and I may end up w/ one w/out KDSS. I'm sure I'll be happy with either one; after I get used to it. I'll let you know when I'm seated in the new GX. (hopefully Bob's...it sounds sweet) :cheers:

By looking at the wheel , roof rack and head light you may identify KDSS as a package. If GX comes with sprots package, head light will have smoke look, wheel will have polish look. For interior, normally it comes with black wood. If steering wheel has a normal brown wood, most probably it is not equiped with KDSS. All these applies to GX installed with sports package which includes KDSS. We can also custom order regular GX with only KDSS which will make difficult to identify from exterior look. You can always call lexus 1-800 to find out if you know VIN. That's how I found one (visual and later by calling lexus) at Audi dearlership eventhough they didn't know about KDSS :) .

Well I went and test drove a 2006 w/ KDSS and a 2007 w/out KDSS and I must say I wish I had never compared the two. Now I feel like I will be unhappy unless I find a model w/ KDSS.

From my direct comparison experience, the KDSS makes the SUV seem smaller, lighter, and more agile. I noticed it most when I was accelerating and turning a the same time...For instance when you just pull out from an intersection and and floor it. The '07 w/out KDSS seemed to roll to one side and made me feel like I was coming out of my seat, but the '06 w/ KDSS seemed to have a tendency to kick the rear end out and maintain a level body under cornering acceleration....similar to how a rear wheel drive sedan would react to the same circumstance.

Coming from an ES300, I really notice the extra weight and roll of the vehicle. The KDSS makes it feel like a much more manageable SUV.

I just wish Lexus made it easy and put some sort of badging on the vehicle...typical Lexus though....so understated.

Both vehicles are sweet SUVs thought and I may end up w/ one w/out KDSS. I'm sure I'll be happy with either one; after I get used to it. I'll let you know when I'm seated in the new GX. (hopefully Bob's...it sounds sweet):cheers:

I don't exactly know, but as someone mentioned, I presume a light should come on in your speedometer.

There is no physical way to check for the KDSS. I've compared my 4Runner and GX, the undercarriage looks almost identical, and my 4Runner is just a 2wd! I think there's an extra pipe or something for the air suspension but otherwise they look the same. Then someone asked in the 4Runner forum if the car (they were buying a used one too) they were looking at had X-REAS suspension, and the picture looked the same as mine w/o X-REAS.

Supereasy to tell the difference from KDSS and NON-KDSS. Look under the front of the GX, KDSS sway bar is over 2" thick and bolts to the lower contol arm. NON-KDSS sway bar is about 1.3 " thick and has end links that bolt to the steering knuckle. KDSS also has a different skidplate that has a wire mesh screen on it. NON-KDSS has a solid metal skidplate.

Hello, I'm in the market to buy a 2004 GX w/ KDSS and I'm curious how you can tell if it has it just by looking. I know that on the 2006 models they have sport colored panels and molding inside, however that isn't the case on the 2004 model.

From what I know so far, the sport package on the 2006 model comes with the KDSS and includes the smoked out wheels, front fog lights, and roof rack. Is this true for the 2004 as well?

I have a picture of the one I'm looking to buy (see attached pic)....maybe one of you LOC GX experts can decypher it to tell me if it has it or not.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Also, if you have a 2004+ GX w/ KDSS I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

post-1494-1173309294_thumb.jpg

KDSS

DSC03392.jpg

• 2 months later...

Speedracer,

Dude, the KDSS is definitely the way to go. You can adjust it to soft, and I totally felt the roll effect while darting off to an almost missed exit. I thought I was gonna lose it!! I keep the adjustment to the hard setting now!!! Not sure if the vehicle is self leveling w/o KDSS as well (I could be wrong). Nothing is more cool than all of your buddies getting out of the truck and saying What the hell is that?!?!

• 1 month later...