Continental Contiextremecontact Tires

There was a discussion before about these tires...promping me to get them.

I just purchased continental extreme contact tires for the front of my car and they handle awesome. Great handling all season tire for the lexus. I've got summer tires on the back still.

I'm running 235/45R17 on the car...will post pics soon (they look good)

They are quiet, grip almost like a summer tire....w/ predicable break-away, and has a suprisingly soft ride.

From the reviews it's supposed to kick you-know-what in the snow...we'll see.

I highly recommend this tire though, great for the money too. They were only 108 ea. and my local tire store matched the price!

:cheers: GOTTA LIKE THAT!

Let me know how they handle in the different sizes.

Well there are three types of tires. Summer tires, which are soft rubber, give a great ride and great sticky handling, however the soft rubber makes them terrible in the snow. Winter tires (snow tires) which are hard, ride rough but give excellent grip in the snow, poor handling though. Then there are "all season" tires which are a mixture of both. Thats what the ContiExtremeContacts and most other tires are, all season radials. That is, they're smooth, quiet and handle well, but are also capable in the snow.

You'd never need anything but summer tires in SoCal.

I read about those at www.tirerack.com

Sound awesome, and the user reviews on them are all positive.

However, my local tire place told me that Continental was a 'discount' tire company and they didn't carry them.

My question is this, 'Since when is 90 bucks a piece, discount?'

Enough rant.

I'm the one that's interested in mileage and ride.

I understand about a nice alloy wheel improving the ride as they offer weight reduction. Now, are the larger the rims and the smaller profile tires the best way to do for ride quality? Ride quality in this instance = smoothness of ride.

Thanks,

Elronse

I'm the one that's interested in mileage and ride.

I understand about a nice alloy wheel improving the ride as they offer weight reduction. Now, are the larger the rims and the smaller profile tires the best way to do for ride quality? Ride quality in this instance = smoothness of ride.

Thanks,

Elronse

Elronse,

The large rims and low profile tires will actually reduce the ride quality in reference to smoothness. Like everything else, it's a balance. If you take from one, it gives to the other.

The sacrifice of smoothness is more than made up by handling. I like to have a car that grips the road well, and w/ low profile tires there is less sidewall flex and roll leaving more contact area of the tire on the pavement...thus more grip.

If you like to have the smooooooth Lexus stock ride, then stick w/ stock size wheels and tires. More performance (grip), then go to larger wheels, and lower profile tires.

-Jimi

:cheers:

Yeah, for ride the stock wheels are the best bet, the more sidewall, the smoother the ride.

As for Continental tires being "discount tires", ask him is that why they're the standard tires on all Mercedes Benz and BMW cars, even the $100,000+ V12 sedans? He's just trying to get you to buy what he sells. See tires are like anything else, in order to sell them you have to apply to be an authorized reseller or dealer. He just didnt apply to Continental.

There's a difference between a "discount" tire, and a tire thats rediculously overpriced. Michelins for instance. Good tires, but they're INSANELY overpriced. Good Years, crappy tires, but a lot are almost as expensive as Michelins. Continental is a great tire that is reasonably priced. Thats enough to earn my money.

Before you buy the ContiExtremeContact Continental has a brand new one out meant to be the brother of the CEC, the ContiPremiumContact a touring tire. Its supposed to be smoother and quieter than the Extremes, and you see how well they do in reviews! They're so new TireRack has no info yet.

Thanks for the quick reply on my question.

I've never cared about what a vehicle performs like, rides like, etc. in the past (Been driving for 25 years) as the previous vehicles were just vehicles. A tool to get from A to B.

With the Lexus, I found out what a REAL car can be and what I've been missing all of these years.

When I think I could have been driving about 1/2 of those years in a Lexus, I am deeply saddened.

Enough on that.

Thanks for the info on the Continentals. I don't know enough about cars to be able to make a BS judgement yet.

I do know Computers, and they are very similar in that what you're told by a dealer or salesman is normally BS and I know enough to not only know it's BS, but know why and able to tell them why.

I figure in a decade or so, I'll be able to do the same with vehicles.

I'll keep my eye on these Continentals. I still have full tread on my current tires and will make a rim / tire decision when they wear out. I'm trying to learn and fully appreciate this forums members tolerance and responses.

Thanks again.