'97 Es300: 90k Service = $1600?!?

I'd first like to thank all the contributors to this forum. I just found this site a few days ago, and have already learned a ton about how to keep my Lexus running well.

I have a '97 ES300 that just turned over 90,000 miles. I just called my local Lexus shop--there's only one dealer in the entire metro Kansas City area--and received a quote of $1,587.50 (not a typo) for a 90,000-mile service. This included the standard interval service w/ replacement of all major fluids, as well as replacement of timing belt, water pump, and spark plugs.

After picking myself up off the floor, I called a Toyota dealer who said he could do it for $380, but this would not include timing belt, water pump, or spark plugs. He thought that the timing belt and water pump could be a $700 job just by themselves, and I understand from searching this forum that the labor involved makes it prudent to do both at the same time. But still, I have to wonder: Is this quote reasonable? Am I missing any other recommended work that Lexus might have included?

It would seem that the time has come for me to develop a relationship with my friendly neighborhood full-service auto shop...

I did two 90K services on my '96 and '01 ES when I had them, and although these put a rather large dent on your wallet, they certainly help out when you plan to keep the ES for long-term. However, if you're handy with a few basic tools and some know-how, you could literally do half of the 90K service work by yourself and save lots of money, such as replacing the air filter, A/C filter, oil change, transmission fluid, etc.

There are many type of 90k Service. I would get all the details. Have them fax over the estimate before doing anything. But a typical full blown 90k service at an Independent Lexus repair shop would run $1100.

JPI

Call Exact Performance for a quote: 913-384-4555. Tell them that Jim with the 2000 white Platinum Series LS400 sent you.

Ben Bennett owns Exact and has been maintaining our Lexus and Toyota cars for about the past 10 years and also services cars for our friends and neighbors.

Ben recently moved his shop to a larger building at 6403 Johnson Drive in Mission - just west of Lamar.

Ben recently did a full blown 90K maintenence of our V6 Camry for less than $1,200 including tax. Included water pump, spark plugs, timing belts, all fluids and all the other stuff -- nothing was left out. Mechanically, it is the same as your ES so the price 90K maintenance price should be similar.

Superior Toyota "low balls" the 90K maintenence price by leaving out items that are really necessary to have done. IMO, by far the best Toyota dealer for both sales and service in the KC metro area is Jay Wolfe Toyota but they are up near the airport -- awfully far from Overland Park.

Good luck!.

Follow-up: Just got my ES back from a full-service autoshop near my home. In the end, I spent over $1900 on service, but I got a lot of work done. Here was the breakdown:

90k service, including:

- oil change & tire rotation

- new air filter

- new timing belt & tensioner

- new p/s belt & alt belt

- new water pump

- new thermostat

- new platinum spark plugs

- flush & repl of coolant, tranny fluid, & brake fluid

Total cost before tax: $1202.50, almost $400 less than Lexus wanted. (Thanks 1990LS400, for giving me something to compare this with!)

I also got the following work done:

- fuel injector cleaning ($90)

- valve cover gasket replaced & engine cleaned ($347)

- new fuel filter, PCV valve, repl faulty rear brake lights ($155)

A lot of $$$, but it's an investment that I hope will pay off over the next 90,000 miles. Thanks to all for your input!