First Time Installing Head Unit/navi (avic-d3)

I'm going to be installing my first head unit/navi and have a few questions before I tackle this project. I apologize as I'm a n00b when it to car audio, but I love to learn and have no problem tearing apart the dash. This is all for a '99 ES300.

Here's my parts list so far:

QUESTIONS:

1. I want to retain all the stock speakers, sub, amp if possible. How can I do this? I've been doing a lot of research and I've read that it can't be done and I've read that it can be done w/ a line level(?) or something like that. I would really appreciate some clarification here.
  2. Where can I locate the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)?
  3. The wire harness I see for my car on eBay looks different than the one that Crutchfield recommends. Does it matter?
  4. What else do I need?

Thanks in advance for any help. I wanna get this done ASAP and will post pics as soon as it's done! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Well.. I'd like to say thanks for all the help.. but there wasn't any!! Anyway, I'm posting this to hopefully help other n00bs like me.

First off... I don't know why so many people say you can't hook up an aftermarket head unit to the stock system. I have the stock Lexus Premium Sound system and have everything working with my D3.

Install pics:

Pioneer AVIC-D3. Lovin' it!

avicd3-3.jpg

Custom loading screen

avicd3-4.jpg

iPod cable ran to center console

avicd3-5.jpg

On-screen iPod interface

avicd3-6.jpg

iPod controls hidden, Lexus background

avicd3-7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to the club and I just wanted to say that you did a marvelous job on the installation. I have the same year car and wanted to know how long did it take to complete and how difficult was it. Thanks

Hello, I am new to the club and I just wanted to say that you did a marvelous job on the installation. I have the same year car and wanted to know how long did it take to complete and how difficult was it. Thanks

Thanks. I was bored over spring break, so this was a lil project I decided to do. Considering I knew nothing about car audio before this, I would say the difficulty of this project isn't too bad. It took me a couple days (doing a little here and there while waiting for parts to deliver), but should only take a couple hours if you have everything.

Installation looks great!

This gives me some inspiration to continue looking into upgrading my wife's '00 ES300.

Do you have any more specific info on how you were able to integrate into the stock system - did you use any wiring adapters or did you have to cut into the factory harness? One retailer told me that they do not install the Pioneers in ES300's without a complete rewire/speaker install/amp install and now I know for sure that is not necessary with the D3. thanks for any extra info...!

This gives me some inspiration to continue looking into upgrading my wife's '00 ES300.

Do you have any more specific info on how you were able to integrate into the stock system - did you use any wiring adapters or did you have to cut into the factory harness? One retailer told me that they do not install the Pioneers in ES300's without a complete rewire/speaker install/amp install and now I know for sure that is not necessary with the D3. thanks for any extra info...!

For the wire harness, you can search on eBay for "ES300 wire harness." Just get the the one for your year and make sure it has RCA connectors. These will plug into the pre-amp outputs on your head unit. I didn't have to rewire anything or splice into the factory harness.

The people at Best Buy and Circuit City are useless. I asked them the same question and they said I had to rewire the speakers and get a new amp and sub.

There was a guy who did the same with the OEM nav system for his ES.

Also you may be able to use your factory changer with the new head unit if you wanted.

Yea. PIONEERSUBY, a member on this forum, can change the factory changer to work with the newer IP-Bus interface. Unfortunately, it costs $50 to get it done. Since I use my iPod the majority of the time, it's hard to justify the cost.

Here's the link: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=30845

Pretty soon, I think I'm going to take out the changer and put a PS2 in it's place

Thanks for the harness info, so I think that my shopping list (along with the D3) is:

- Scosche double DIN ES300 install kit P/N LS2081B

- Scosche P/N TA02B / TA03B integration wiring harness

(or Metra 70-8113 ES300 intragation wiring harness)

We have a '00 ES300 and I didn't see an ebay kit.

Remaining questions...

- Is the VSS wire integrated into the harness - and where is it located?

- other wires that need to be tapped into?

- GPS sensor location - back deck or front dash? tips for routing the wire for this?

- I'll check AVIC411 again, but I thought I saw that you had an issue with engine noise - resolved yet? you just left the antenna unhooked?

Thanks for any additional help!

For the wire harness, you can search on eBay for "ES300 wire harness." Just get the the one for your year and make sure it has RCA connectors. These will plug into the pre-amp outputs on your head unit. I didn't have to rewire anything or splice into the factory harness.

The people at Best Buy and Circuit City are useless. I asked them the same question and they said I had to rewire the speakers and get a new amp and sub.

Thanks for the harness info, so I think that my shopping list (along with the D3) is:

Remaining questions...

- GPS sensor location - back deck or front dash? tips for routing the wire for this?

- I'll check AVIC411 again, but I thought I saw that you had an issue with engine noise - resolved yet? you just left the antenna unhooked?

Scosche doesn't make a harness for it.. at least not when I called them.

I can't confirm whether the audio system in the '00 ES300 is the same as my '99. I used this wire harness:

http://cgi.ebay.com/92-99-LEXUS-ES300-TOYO...1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't completely get rid of the problem. I installed ground loop isolators, which got rid of the 90% of the noise. It's fine for now until I have time to work on it after finals are over.

GPS Antenna:

There's a magnet on my GPS Antenna, which I have attached to a metal cross beam behind the dash.

VSS Wire:

purple/white cruise control module

Notes: The cruise control module is under the driver side dash.

Reverse Wire:

red/black in the driver side harness to the rear

(Not necessary unless you plan on installing a backup cam)

• 4 weeks later...

Remaining questions...

I can't confirm whether the audio system in the '00 ES300 is the same as my '99. I used this wire harness:

I didn't completely get rid of the problem. I installed ground loop isolators, which got rid of the 90% of the noise. It's fine for now until I have time to work on it after finals are over.

GPS Antenna:

There's a magnet on my GPS Antenna, which I have attached to a metal cross beam behind the dash.

VSS Wire:

Reverse Wire:

Getting close to starting this project on our ES300. Novice question - where did you get your ground loop isolators?

Getting close to starting this project on our ES300. Novice question - where did you get your ground loop isolators?

You can get them at pretty much any store with an auto section or car audio specialty stores. I got mine at Walmart for $14 each. They're by Scosche, so probably not the best quality ground loop isolators.

• 4 weeks later...

So after all the questions...I ended up getting a good deal on an Eclipse AVN-5510 and ipod interface.

I'll check back with pictures and comments when installed.

With the harness it should be straightforward, I just may need more detailed information on the exact location of the VSS wire.

Thanks!

Remaining questions...

GPS Antenna:

VSS Wire:

Reverse Wire:

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I'm seriously considering different units to install in my '01 ES. This thread has some great information. I'm still daunted by the wiring but it seems that's pretty well covered by these,

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-8113

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=LS2081B

I think I've figured out the wiring for audio. The wire harness that comes with the D3 plugs into the 70-8113 which wires into the stock plug. In regards to powering the AVIC, how does that work?

• 5 months later...