Road Noise

I just bought a 99 GS300 with 87,000 miles in near show room condition. The car has all the service papers and all scheduled maintance has been done by a Lexus dealer. I traded a BMW 99 528 in for it.

My question is that there seems to be excessive road noise in the cabin, specially on the hgwy, has anyone else experienced this? There are new tires on the car, could that be the cause?

balance/alignment? are there aftermarket rims?

Do you have an es or gs...your profile says es

GS, Just bought it this weekend. Wheels are orig. Dealer looked at it today and said all is well. All I can say is that my old BMW was much quieter.

I just bought a 99 GS300 with 87,000 miles in near show room condition. The car has all the service papers and all scheduled maintance has been done by a Lexus dealer. I traded a BMW 99 528 in for it.

My question is that there seems to be excessive road noise in the cabin, specially on the hgwy, has anyone else experienced this? There are new tires on the car, could that be the cause?

Hi. I am also a member of club lexus and I read on their forums that the wind noise can be caused by the body plugs being missing under the car. Here is the link to the club lexus forum that discusses it. Hope this helps.

body plugs

Hi. I am also a member of club lexus and I read on their forums that the wind noise can be caused by the body plugs being missing under the car. Here is the link to the club lexus forum that discusses it. Hope this helps.

body plugs

I have a 98 gs300 and the only roadnoise I have experienced is because of bad tires.

98 GS400 190K miles. I had road noise after I had the front windshield replaced with an aftermarket windshield. Also U might want 2 chk wheel bearings. I thought I had bad tires until I replaced them. I had a bad rear wheel bearing, I had that replcd NO MORE NOISE.

• 10 years later...

How do you know if you've got bad bearings? My GS400 is experiencing the same thing. Very loud road noise and I know it's not the wind. When I move the steering wheel just a tad to the right it goes away but when back to straight it comes back. Any idea??

Sounds kind of like the left wheel bearings either on front or back are going bad.  But I would rotate tires first and see if sound changes.  I had a left front wheel bearing go on my RX400h and it made a lot of road noise.

You could put car on jack stands and buy a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight and spin the wheels while putting the stethoscope on the end of the drive shaft on each side.  You will hear a difference of bearing noise.