Moonroof Defect In Is300?

GalletGun

Ok, I just got a 2003 IS300 and the moonroof makes this annoying popping sound that is very annoying to the ears. When I hear the noise I press up against the slider and the noise goes away. The dealership told me its the Plastic trimming on the moonroof but after they put "cushioning" its still there. Does anyone else have this problem in their IS300's? And Im thinking of replacing the moonroof since I have the one year limited warranty. Do you think its possible to replace it? Thanx.

Sure it can be replaced. However, if the don't do a really good job it might leak.

Maybe you can find the problem youself by watching and listening while someone opens and closes it. Also try to simulate the conditions while the car is sitting still and try and pin down the exact location of the noise.

Since your car is pretty new, you might want to put some silicone spray lube on the trim edges of the glass and the slider grooves and run the roof back and forth several times to try and get it to settle in.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem with my 2005 IS300, which I got in July. Dealer installed "cushioning" last week, during routine service, after I mentioned the problem. It is only slightly better. I plan to take it back and give them another shot at it.

Hey good to see I am not the only one. Well I figured out a way to get rid of that crackling sound when the moonroof slide is closed. First remove that trim panel around the sides(its pretty easy it comes right off) then make sure the moon roof slide is closed, push up at the back of the slide so u can see the edge of it and take some tape(heave duty tape) overlap same size pieces of tape several times to make it thick and then apply it to the edge of the slider(at the center, the tape should be large enough to overlap on both sides of the slider about an inch long.). Now you can put the trim back on and TATAAAAA the annoying crackling sound is gone. As for the popping sound u get when the slider is slid back and the moonroof is exposed I have no idea how to stop that but it does not really bother me. I hope u were talking about the crackling noise not the latter b/c I only know the solution for the first thing. 8(

Let me know if it works for you!