Heeelp!

Well, I was reversing into my driveway when all of a sudden I feel the car jerk and the car starts going forward. Obviously from the gravity. The RPMs fly through the roof becuase I'm stepping on the gas. Then I try to put the gear into Drive and still nothing. I try 2nd and Low. Nothing. This is a really BAD problem, I'm guessing. ANY HELP WHATSOEVER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! This just happened a few minutes ago and I have NO IDEA what to do or what happened! I need the car to drive to school :( I'm 19 and what I know about cars is strictly limited, so please help!

Well, I was reversing into my driveway when all of a sudden I feel the car jerk and the car starts going forward. Obviously from the gravity. The RPMs fly through the roof becuase I'm stepping on the gas. Then I try to put the gear into Drive and still nothing. I try 2nd and Low. Nothing. This is a really BAD problem, I'm guessing. ANY HELP WHATSOEVER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! This just happened a few minutes ago and I have NO IDEA what to do or what happened! I need the car to drive to school :( I'm 19 and what I know about cars is strictly limited, so please help!

Hello there

What year is your vehicle? How often do you service the transmission? Inspect your shifting cable. Make sure it's tight. I've seen many transmission fail due to lack of service. Good Luck.

JP Importz

Its a '92 and I don't service the transmission often, if at all. I check the fluid color every once in a while to make sure everything becuase as far as I know, transmissions fail becuase of the fluid.The car only has 145,000 miles. Personally, I dont think that kind of milage isnt too bad for a car that old...

Was it bucking or making any strange noise before this happened? So its basically stuck in neutral now right? Usually when a transmission goes one gear will go out but not all gears at the same time. I think it might be torque converter related. If your torque converter is shot the car wont move.

Make sure to check the shifter linkage like JPI said.

But you really should service the transmission every 30K miles. If you dont the transmission/torque converter will burn out prematurely.

I was thinking it would be the shifter linkage. I had a 300GT and something similar happend and as it turned out, it was the torque converter. I had it fixed and sold the car. I spoke to some people about it and they said that it could only be the shift cable because the car made no noise or anything! Just, nothing. It was really strange. Also, if it is, and most like is, the shifter cable, how much would you predict as far as costs go to fix it?

Have your Radiator and cooling systen THOROUGHLY checked before you buy another transmission.

Trust me. I went in for a new tranny and came out with a new radiator. $134.00. Not a problem since.

good luck!

rosie

Have your Radiator and cooling systen THOROUGHLY checked before you buy another transmission.

Trust me. I went in for a new tranny and came out with a new radiator. $134.00. Not a problem since.

good luck!

rosie

Went in for a new tranny and came out with a new radiator? Thats like going to the hospital for new kidneys.. well slightly used kidneys and coming out with a new pair of nikes... sure both items keep you running but I fail to see the relation?

good luck!

rosie

Went in for a new tranny and came out with a new radiator? Thats like going to the hospital for new kidneys.. well slightly used kidneys and coming out with a new pair of nikes... sure both items keep you running but I fail to see the relation?

I am certainly no expert on this. However, this is exactly what happened. In fact, I came into possession of the car from my BIL because he thought he needed a transmission. He said the other day that if he had known, he would still be driving thee car. He bought a new (then) 2004 ES.

This story has been told a number of times and there are others on this site that can explian the tech specs much better than I.

Not a word of a lie. :wacko:

rosie

Sorry, but it seems as if this thread is moving out of topic. I just want to know what could possibly be wrong with my transmission. I don't know where to get one much less install one! I heard that 93-97 transmissions are different than 92-early 93. I'm not sure as to the accuracy about this though, So if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could find a transmission, any parts for transmissions (auto), engine, or anything that would certainly help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Im going with a torque converter issue. If it were the transmission, it would more than likley go into what is known as a failsafe mode which would allow you to drive, but it will only be shifting into second or staying in first (this is the case with dodge vehicles).