Creaking Noise From Sunroof?

The sunroof of my 06-350 began to creak a few weeks ago. At first closing the suncover will mute the noise, but lately its been so loud that the cover doesnt help at all.

Does anyone else have this problem? if so, how did you fix it?

I had that issue one day but found it was ice that had built up on the roof and was causing some issue either with the aero dynamics or just added weight to move the sunroof and thus creak. Not sure where you live but that might be an issue? I solved the problem simply by cleaning and drying it.

If you don't live in cold weather and are simply using it a lot more than normal than it could be that the grease has thinned or wore away causing any little vibration / bump to squeak. If this is the case just take it to Lex or a trusted mechanic and have them add some.

I am not sure about this but I think there might be a sunroof silicone product that you can put on the rubber gasket as well?

The sunroof of my 06-350 began to creak a few weeks ago. At first closing the suncover will mute the noise, but lately its been so loud that the cover doesnt help at all.

My 06-250 sunroof also sqeaks. Lexus have regreased to no avail. It first only squeaked when closed and then slightly when tilted. It is only very monir but a little annoying. They are looking at it hopefully next week when it goes in for its first service. I will post any news I receive after servioce if it helps.

• 5 weeks later...

Well there is a silicone lubricant that you can use to reduce the noise.

The noise is caused by the rubber of the roof rubbing against the panel.

If you apply lub on the rubber this will mute the sound………..( for 2 weeks at least)

Then you have to do it again =(

I am trying to find DRY LUB , apparently this doesn’t dry up.

:cries:

I brought my 350 in last Tuesday for squeaking/rattling in the moon roof. The tech said he took the whole unit off and lubricated it. Noise stopped.

Two days later the motor broke and the moon roof was stuck in the tilt position. I'm supposed to get the car back today, they had to have the motor shipped in from NJ. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• 7 months later...

I have an 07 IS350. Creaking noise began 2 months ago at about 7000 miles. Noticed it with the sunroof closed. Been back to the dealership at least 4 times, problem seemingly resolved after they lubricated the track. The problem has resurfaced, but now it's noticable when the sunroof is open. Seems to be the acordian-like rubber weatherstripping vibrating against the glass and plastic frame while the vehicle is in motion. From reading other posts, the problem doesn't seem to be limited to the IS; seems consistent across all models.

Completely unacceptable for a $40K car that is advertised and (over)priced for its build quality and supposed refinement. I've been back to the dealership far too many times for problems such as driver's seat loosening from its track and repeatedly squeaking, wiring harness from inside the steering column coming apart and rattling, aforementioned sunroof noise, and dashboard plastic loosening up as a result of the overly-firm suspension. I had 2 4Runners that at 75K miles were better put together than this car at 10K miles. Don't get me wrong - I love the car overall, but these issues are disheartening and will probably result in me trading it in for something else sooner than planned.

Given past experience with Toyota, and the hits they've taken in the automotive press with regard to quality failures, I would not expect any substantive action or resolution from the corporate level. There is a culture of arrogance in that organization that breeds an inability to admit known engineering flaws combined with an unapologetic lack of long-term customer service.

My sunroof started making the rattling noises a few weeks ago. It took me a while to figure out it was above me and not behind me. I open the roof, and close it, and it stops. I've done this about three times now. I haven't complained about it yet. When I take it in, I will say something about it. I have 12,500 miles on the car.

• 13 years later...

jsereno@verizon.net

On 11/16/2007 at 8:19 PM, djspawn00 said:

I have a 2015 Lexus ES350.   Today I discovered that the Sunroof is the reason for creaking I have been hearing for a few weeks.   I used Nu Finish  a once a year car polish on the rubber seal on the edge of the sunroof and the body paint that it contacts.  This stopped the creaking.   I will give it a try for a while and report back at some point and let all of you know if the creak has returned or not.      Raspberry