The Wheel Will Steer By Itself On Bumpy Roads Ext

eddie187

I recently purchased a 1993 Lexus SC400 in good condition with what I believe are only wear and tear issues. The car has a very uncomfortable steering feel to it. When driving on a bumpy road, the wheel will steer by itself (shimmy, rock back and forth) slightly as the car rides over the different bumps and holes.

is it normal because this car is most uncomfortable car i ever drove.thanks

I recently purchased a 1993 Lexus SC400 in good condition with what I believe are only wear and tear issues. The car has a very uncomfortable steering feel to it. When driving on a bumpy road, the wheel will steer by itself (shimmy, rock back and forth) slightly as the car rides over the different bumps and holes.

is it normal because this car is most uncomfortable car i ever drove.thanks

Eddie, I agree, I just purchased a '92 SC400 with 25k miles and mine is the same way. I have the stock wheels(for now), newer tires.. Could it be the steering stabilizer?(age taken it's toll?) Or since my car is older it is in need of new shocks and a steering stabilizer?

Very unpleasant to drive right now...

By the way, if anyone has any good idea's for a good wheel/tire selection let me know..

Ryan

It is not normal. Check the front lower control arm bushings along with the front upper and lower ball joints. Also, the steering rack bushings may also have considerable wear allowing play. What you described usually is caused by worn front lower control arms. Thats where I would start.

It is not normal. Check the front lower control arm bushings along with the front upper and lower ball joints. Also, the steering rack bushings may also have considerable wear allowing play. What you described usually is caused by worn front lower control arms. Thats where I would start.

Also, if you have the money you can visit the Lexus dealer and for $90-$100 they can look over the car and give you a list of what they see wrong with it.

I have the same problem on my car. the effect is more pronounced when I brake on an uneven road. It pulls quite strongly to the right. Maybe its the wheel balancing. But i will get the suspension checked for sure as the car is very unstable over bumps.

I too have the same problem. i have 17" rims brand new tires and took advice from club members and replaced rack bushings with Daizen bushings. I had allignment done 5 times in less then one year and shocks are brand new. and i STILL have these problems, pulling to the right at all times and VERY uncontrolable steering wheel. Im not going to further deal with it because im selling the car, but i have no advice on what to even look for next.

...Check the front lower control arm bushings along with the front upper and lower ball joints....

Are these bushings sold (and replaceble) independent of the control arms themselves?

Yup, they sure are. Though most people claimed that their bushings were bad and caused this problem, i got no help by replacing them. Here is where i got mine. This sight has a bunch of good stuff for our cars. http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/index.html

Also check this post for how to replace them and what other members said about this topic.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=34743

Yup, they sure are. Though most people claimed that their bushings were bad and caused this problem, i got no help by replacing them. Here is where i got mine. This sight has a bunch of good stuff for our cars. http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/index.html

Also check this post for how to replace them and what other members said about this topic.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=34743

Thanks. I'll probably be swapping out my sway-bar bushings, steering rack bushings & control arm bushings sometime this Spring then. After I get my front wheel bearings replaced.

Hey Bro, I Have The Same Car And Problem.

I Am Getting Daizen Lower Controll Arm Bushings Put On As Im Writing This, After I Pick It Up I Have To Take About A 100 Mile Road Trip SomeWhere, Ill Post Maybe Tonight Or Tomm. And Let You Know The Results.

Best Of Luck To Ya

I just purchased a '92 SC 400 from my brother and have this problem as well (only had the car for 2 days). Anyone know the worst-case scenario cost this would run us(me)? GOtta see what kind of funding I can pull from my budget. Since I got the car from my brother dirt-cheap, I don't really mind investing into it. It is such a great car and I want it to last as long as possible!

I just purchased a '92 SC 400 from my brother and have this problem as well (only had the car for 2 days). Anyone know the worst-case scenario cost this would run us(me)? GOtta see what kind of funding I can pull from my budget. Since I got the car from my brother dirt-cheap, I don't really mind investing into it. It is such a great car and I want it to last as long as possible!

Well as i said above, doing many of these common fixes didnt help one bit. I got new bushings, tires, rims, etc. and still have this annoying problem. I geuss the worst case scenario is 1) replacing control arms and/or bushings and 2) the entire steering rack. Neither of which im sure will change anything either. So i geuss worst case is you invest money into a bunch of new things and still have problems with steering.

My 95 LS400 does this, and is getting a little worse by the day. I have new control arms, ball joints and outer tie rods. I do not have new inner tie rods though, or rack. I am thinking maybe the inner tie rods are worn out, which judging by the conditoin the outer tie rods were in, would not suprise me one bit, and that was 30k miles ago. I'm now up to 126+/-k miles.

Question, when driving down the smooth highway, do you have slight play in your steering, maybe a centimeter or so of left to right with no response in the steering? When you're stopped and turn the wheel back and forth quickly, do you have a faint clicking/clunking noise? I have also heard the U joint in the steering column can come loose after time too, which just requires a retightening of the bolts..