Subwoofer Removal

Hi all I'm new to the forum and I've joined because I'm on the hunt for an answer. I've read through most postings and havent come across the info I seek (so I hope I"m not asking a dup. question) I am the new proud owner of a 92' SC 400. The subwoofer needs to be replaced and so I went out and bought a nice 10" Kicker to replace it with. Except when I went to remove the old speaker I couldn't. Has anyone had any experience removing the darling subwoofer from hell... :ph34r: I'd greatly appreciate any help.

ps... this forum and web site rocks!!!

i never removed one from a sc400 but i would think you have to take the back rear deck out to get to the screws or bolts to get it out.try that.

also did you get a free air speaker because you will hear way LESS bass if you just mount a regular speaker in the place of the stock speaker.free air speakers are made to work without a box and they use your trunk as the box for bass.

if you did get a regular speaker then i dont think it will sound to good at all.and also you will most likley need a new amp to push the new speaker because the stock amp wont do the job.hope this helps!

First you have to remove the third brake light.

You do that by pulling the side closest to you up(held by clips) and then pulling towards yourself(toward front of the car).

Don't pull too hard for you might damage the wire for the light.

Once you've got the light off, there are 4 10mm bolts holding the whole thing down.

Gotta get in there with a small ratchet wrench. (Gator Grip worked for me :D )

Once you've got the bolts out the whole thing just comes up.

Only problem is the sub is attached to the metal surrounding by plastic clips that break if you remove the sub, so it's a one way deal.

Good Luck.