Wind Noise

From another forum dated April 14th: I was contacted by my dealer today. They received a conference call from Lexus today. Lexus said the LS 460 is priority one for Lexus. Lexus will be replacing the front windows of the short wheel base cars with the thicker glass from the L. They will also be adding some insulation as well. A service bulletin will be out shortly.

I thought I would share the info...

Craig

I wonder if the thicker windshield and additional insullation is in response to the loud (tic.tic.tic.) fuel injection system? Let us know if you get a service bulletin number.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone experiencing noticeable wind noise via the drivers front window at speeds above 40 mph? could this be resolved?
this is a follow up on my wind noise problem of which the forum topic i initiated.. i went to my dealership last week. they confirmed that i am expierincing excessive wind noise and that they are aware of this problem with other ls 460s. they dicsounted the theory re the driver mirror drainge holes. theysaid they will experiment by replacing the front driver and passenger side glass with a thicker glass. supposedly equivilant to the long wheel base glass. i didnt know that the long wheelbase has a different spec glass. again this is an experiment and they cant confirm success. the parts are being ordred. well see what happens.

is anyone experiencing noticeable wind noise via the drivers front window at speeds above 40 mph? could this be resolved?
this is a follow up on my wind noise problem of which the forum topic i initiated.. i went to my dealership last week. they confirmed that i am expierincing excessive wind noise and that they are aware of this problem with other ls 460s. they dicsounted the theory re the driver mirror drainge holes. theysaid they will experiment by replacing the front driver and passenger side glass with a thicker glass. supposedly equivilant to the long wheel base glass. i didnt know that the long wheelbase has a different spec glass. again this is an experiment and they cant confirm success. the parts are being ordred. well see what happens.

I have a LS460 and have also experienced the excessive wind noise. I leased the car end of February and currently have about 2,000 miles on it. I called the service manager at Newport Lexus and they asked me to bring in the car so that the shop foreman could ride with me. He readily agreed that there is a wind noise problem and that Lexus is working on a fix. They applied foam to the bolt holes and mounting, and said that the problem was fixed. This fixed the wind noise problem at slow speeds, i.e., up to 45 mph. Once you get beyond that, the noise is back. I called them today and also sent them an email expressing my disatisfaction. I am waiting for their response. Will let you know their reply.

• 2 weeks later...

First let me start by saying thank you for the post on this issue... I own a 2 week old LS460 and just took into the dealership today to have this issue looked at. The dealer said they are aware of the issue and would/are looking into it. I left the car and I hope to hear back from them later today. For those who have posted that this is nature of the cars design, you clearly do not own one with this problem. The noise is excessive and appears to be varible form car to car and divers side or passengerside. I have owned 5 lexuses in past and a have GX 470 in addition to the new LS460. I very supprised that this did not show up prior to this in thier Q.C. That said these things do happen the question now it what does Lexus plan on doing about it? As a loyal customer I hope they rise to the challenge and approach as an opportunity to demonstrate their committment to their customer. More to come......

I don't know if the window gasketing on the 460's are the same as my 430, but when I use the 'auto up' feature for the window switch, the window will actually roll up too tight. All that I do is tap the switch lightly to get the window to move down just a fraction of an inch & it seems to clear up the wind noise coming in. Again, don't know if this would be the same on the 460's, but it may be worth a try.

First let me start by saying thank you for the post on this issue... I own a 2 week old LS460 and just took into the dealership today to have this issue looked at. The dealer said they are aware of the issue and would/are looking into it. I left the car and I hope to hear back from them later today. For those who have posted that this is nature of the cars design, you clearly do not own one with this problem. The noise is excessive and appears to be varible form car to car and divers side or passengerside. I have owned 5 lexuses in past and a have GX 470 in addition to the new LS460. I very supprised that this did not show up prior to this in thier Q.C. That said these things do happen the question now it what does Lexus plan on doing about it? As a loyal customer I hope they rise to the challenge and approach as an opportunity to demonstrate their committment to their customer. More to come......

Thanks! I have tried just about every level of adjustment possible including retracting the Mirrors in at highway speed all with no relief. I just spoke to the dealership and the are still looking into it. The service consultant was unaware of any formal service advisory on this issue.

More to come... :chairshot:

Thanks! I have tried just about every level of adjustment possible including retracting the Mirrors in at highway speed all with no relief. I just spoke to the dealership and the are still looking into it. The service consultant was unaware of any formal service advisory on this issue.

More to come...:chairshot:

Just got the car back with no resolution! I have been told lexus will follow up with me. I was able to confirm that the part # for the window on LS460 and the LS 460 L are the same #. So I dougbt there is any differnce in the thickness of the glass.

Has anybody else been able to get this issue resolved. I love this in all other aspect but I spend a lot of time on the highway and this issue is driving me nuts!!!

Did this work???

Between the windnoise and clunking transmission. What's up with that? S550 is back here in Louisiana, if you have been following my evaluation, and no issues at 9300 miles. I Have an option to purchase it as my friend is getting an 08 in the Fall of this year and I am seriously considering taking him up on it at this time. I do hope Lexus get's a little more serious about these disconcerting problems. Some of you have them (these problems) and some don't.....Lexus may or may not take a beating on these issues depending on how they handle it. Does not appear good to me thus far. Just observing as I was looking forward to a 460 but at that price level I am having doubts. Doesn't matter be it a 64k entry or 99k loaded L, these afore mentioned issues are of concern. We shall wait and see and I'm sure there are Lexus engineers working overtime and possibly some unemployed at this time. Love those LS's but I am having reservations.

Between the windnoise and clunking transmission. What's up with that? S550 is back here in Louisiana, if you have been following my evaluation, and no issues at 9300 miles. I Have an option to purchase it as my friend is getting an 08 in the Fall of this year and I am seriously considering taking him up on it at this time. I do hope Lexus get's a little more serious about these disconcerting problems. Some of you have them (these problems) and some don't.....Lexus may or may not take a beating on these issues depending on how they handle it. Does not appear good to me thus far. Just observing as I was looking forward to a 460 but at that price level I am having doubts. Doesn't matter be it a 64k entry or 99k loaded L, these afore mentioned issues are of concern. We shall wait and see and I'm sure there are Lexus engineers working overtime and possibly some unemployed at this time. Love those LS's but I am having reservations.

I am thinking more and more away from this 460 myself. It was my intention to wait out the first year run of this new model for the sole reason to see what problems arose. This sporatic trbl can very well be a show stopper for me. The S550 is moving ever so close to the first position on my personal next buy list.

John

Remember that the early 04s had a wind noise problem and a transmission problem also. The wind noise problem was solved with redesigned windshield gaskets (I believe) and they wound up completely replacing the transmissions on a number of cars.

This is disconcering yes, but even Lexus has had roll out issues like this in the past. They'll get these squared away and in a year everybody will have forgotten about them. I would not at all be concerned about an 08.

i spoke with the chief service manager today. they are going to repair three items to amend the wind noise. first- change the driver and passenger glass. second- change the belt molding around the window. third-- replace some screws inside the mirrors. apparently the head of the screws are too small to obscure the hole.. im waiting for the parts to become available.

Hopefully all will be well, I have no doubt Lexus will address these issues. The old axiom of never buying the first year of a new model still holds true. Steve, as I recall, the 01, 430 had the wind noise issue with the gaskets. No consolation to you guys/gals that purchased a new 460, but I believe Lexus will eventually take care of it for you. Remember, "The squeeky wheel gets the grease". Stay on them.

Remember that the early 04s had a wind noise problem and a transmission problem also. The wind noise problem was solved with redesigned windshield gaskets (I believe) and they wound up completely replacing the transmissions on a number of cars.

This is disconcering yes, but even Lexus has had roll out issues like this in the past. They'll get these squared away and in a year everybody will have forgotten about them. I would not at all be concerned about an 08.

Since I have the 04 I can state that while they fixed the wind noise they created another trbl with the revised window gasket. I have gone to the dealer twice for the driver's side window gasket rubbing hard against the window and causing chaffing of the gasket and getting that scummy debris transferred to my glass. Putting the lemon law aside, I have put up with the non-fix for years since it was too much a hassle to keep going back and forth to the dealer(a tough 40 minute drive one way). And don't get me started on the exterior chrome trim that hasn't held up to the elements. While I enjoy the car, it isn't perfect and I didn't expect it to be but this wind noise issue and reports of the xmission "clunk" plus my existing history with the 04, is giving me the overwhelming feeling of saying bye bye Lexus. Time will tell for me.

John

Hopefully all will be well, I have no doubt Lexus will address these issues. The old axiom of never buying the first year of a new model still holds true. Steve, as I recall, the 01, 430 had the wind noise issue with the gaskets. No consolation to you guys/gals that purchased a new 460, but I believe Lexus will eventually take care of it for you. Remember, "The squeeky wheel gets the grease". Stay on them.

you're right, the 01 had the wind noise concern, the 04 had the transmission concern.

Since I have the 04 I can state that while they fixed the wind noise they created another trbl with the revised window gasket. I have gone to the dealer twice for the driver's side window gasket rubbing hard against the window and causing chaffing of the gasket and getting that scummy debris transferred to my glass. Putting the lemon law aside, I have put up with the non-fix for years since it was too much a hassle to keep going back and forth to the dealer(a tough 40 minute drive one way). And don't get me started on the exterior chrome trim that hasn't held up to the elements. While I enjoy the car, it isn't perfect and I didn't expect it to be but this wind noise issue and reports of the xmission "clunk" plus my existing history with the 04, is giving me the overwhelming feeling of saying bye bye Lexus. Time will tell for me.

If your only problem with the car is that the gaskets scum up your glass, I'd be pleased. Just keep the gaskets and the windows clean. Go on the MBworld forums and see what some of their problems are, even on the all new S550.

My dad's 04 has like 70k miles, chrome trim is perfect. His 98 had 160k...chrome trim was perfect. My ES has almost 90k...chrome trim is perfect. Don't know what to tell you.

you're right, the 01 had the wind noise concern, the 04 had the transmission concern.

If your only problem with the car is that the gaskets scum up your glass, I'd be pleased. Just keep the gaskets and the windows clean. Go on the MBworld forums and see what some of their problems are, even on the all new S550.

My dad's 04 has like 70k miles, chrome trim is perfect. His 98 had 160k...chrome trim was perfect. My ES has almost 90k...chrome trim is perfect. Don't know what to tell you.

Just came out of an 07 CLS 550 which I had for 6 months nothing but problems....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally heard back from Lexus. There is an official service bulletin that adds some "padding" to the mirrors to quiet them and their is a recall for a "noisy pulley" in the engine compartment. Other than that, there are no service bulletins in regards to the replacement of the windshield, side windows or seals. Maybe the mirror repair is the first step in a more comprehensive solution from Lexus.

I urge all LS460 owners to call Lexus customer service (not just their local dealer) to let then know about your concerns. I have been told by Lexus customer service that each complaint is looked at individually, but if they receive several complaints regarding the same issue, a solution will likely come "more quickly"...

Please, if there are any other service bulletins in regards to these issues, please list them on this thread for all to see.

If we could get the wind/engine noise, transmission, and NAV issues corrected...what would be left to fix??? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Have you had this repair done to see if it fixes your concerns?

I have had this repair performed and it does not fix the problem - unfortunately. I continue to be told by the dealer and customer service that "Lexus" is working on the problem, but they could not give me a estimated date for the fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Lexus owner.

I too have a 2007 LS 460 and am experiencing wind noise on the driver side window.

I called Lexus today and received a prompt and polite reply from the service manager.

He advised me that Lexus does not have a complete fix for the problem yet...

Their immediate solution is to place the LS460 L sized windows in my LS 460 standard

model and also do something with the rubber gaskets. They ordered the windows from

Japan so it will take several days until they arrive and then 1-2 days for installation.

If you hear more please let me know.

Thanks,

Ricahrd

Its very weird that it would simply be on the LS460 and not the LS460L. My guess is they'll wind up just replacing all the glass on the LS460s with the glass from the LS460L and call it a day...

I HAVE WAITED THREE MONTHS FOR THE CURE! MY DEALER EXPERIMENTED WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE. THEY SPENT SEVEN HOURS CHANGING OUT THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER WINDOW TO THE DOUBLE PAIN THICKNESS OF THE LONG VERSION, CHANGED THE MOLDING AROUND THE GLASS, AND DID SOMETHING TO THE SIDE MIRRORS.HOWEVER, TO NO AVAIL. IT DID NOT WORK. NOT SURE WHAT RECOURSE I HAVE.THE WIND NOISE IS EXCESSIVE AND NOT TOLERABLE. ANY IDEAS?